SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   guidance? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/88699-guidance.html)

Advocate777 06-17-2012 09:44 PM

guidance?

Do I just buy the boat and then pay for help if I need it or do I take all the ASA courses (already took ASA101 -Basic Keelboat Sailing) and then buy a boat? I think I know the boat I wanna buy but do I need to take 102 and 103, etc,- would rather spend that money in asking a Captain for help if I need it- any input?
Or should I just take ALL the couses but it seems to me that my boat is unique so what does it matter to qualify for, a 30' foot monohull if I actually buy a 34 foot multihull? Isn't it better to just buy the boat u want and then pay for specialized training on that specific vessel?
Whattya think?- I respect your input if you have experience with these issues-

Faster 06-17-2012 10:33 PM

Re: guidance?

We bought a boat.. albeit a small one, asked a friend to spend a weekend helping us deliver it home and do some basic coaching, and figured it out from there on our own. Of course 30 years and 5 boats later we're still learning.

The courses will help, obviously, but there's lots of publications and 'how-to's available and it is possible to 'teach yourself' through experience. Depends mostly on a 'can-do' attitude and some basic common sense approaches.

If your area has a local chapter of the Power and Sail Squadron, their introductory courses are very good from a basic boating point of view.. reading charts, learning navaids etc.. lots of subjects that, while not sailing theory specific, may well save you from driving that 'new' boat onto a sandbar leaving or entering the harbour. I'd recommend them as starters.

But I don't think it's strictly necessary to take 'all' the courses first.

Bob142 06-18-2012 12:07 AM

I agree with all that Faster wrote... a whole lot of courses and theory up front with no practical application is hard to retain...A few opps and near misses tend to promote more learning and stick with you better...

There always seems to be someone around who is between boats or just wants a change who will go out with you ...there are a lot of helpful people in this sailing world..

The chart reading and nav aid I would consider a requirement if you do nothing else...

Bob142 06-18-2012 12:12 AM

Off topic ...but can someone tell me how to get rid of the flag...not that I am not happy being Canadian but really not into flag waving...Thanks

n8kraft 06-18-2012 12:19 AM

If you have the time and money for your own boat, then buy one that meets your needs for now. Since you've already taken the basic keelboat course you know just enough to get yourself into and out of trouble. If you want or need help with more advanced sailing stuff, join your local sailing club and start racing. Ask for crew to come aboard and help sail your boat. I went from dinghy sailing to a Catalina 27 that way and made great friends along the way. Now I've moved up to a Cheoy Lee 41 to liveaboard and cruise.