Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Re: Perfect yacht bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
No lights- how do you plan to license it for the road?
Also, according to the manufacturer's website; there is going to release a full dual sport version with lights and indicators at some point in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2012

K Cuv is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to K Cuv

The fx bikes look pretty legit. Write a review after you get it!
Old 06-18-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Cuv View Post
The fx bikes look pretty legit. Write a review after you get it!
Will do!
Although it will be sometime next year sadly, still looking at 12 months for delivery of the first bikes
Old 06-18-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

why not just buy a whizzer, or a power pack to install on a dual suspension disc brake mountain bike and have what you want for less, right now?

Kings Motor Bikes,Motorized Bicycle,Bicycle Engine Kit,Bicycle motors,bicycle engine kit parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 06-18-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't go with that FWIW. Looks like a lightweight play bike, not good for transporting goods, no passenger possible. Gimmicks are great, but for a tender to a boat, I'd go reliable, well known and predicatable. Especially if travelling out of the country. Few things appeal to me less than the idea of arguing why a border guard should understand that my piece of paper makes a not originally road legal bike road legal in a language I don't speak well.

CT110 or Yamaha 125 would be my choice. or a light small 250 if you can afford the space/weight. Something with an actual dealer network, common parts and known reliably. If you really want to go lighter still, a 50CC 2 stroke scooter upgraded to 70CC scooter would work well as well. That FX strikes me as the worst of both worlds; The motorcycle equivalent to a jetski. I once upon a time considered a similar bike as a cool alternative, I thought, a GASGAS with a hotted up WR250F engine in it.
I am very grateful I didn't. Expensive and frequent servicing, constant demand for parts and hard to find. As a on boat motorbike I'd think toughness and reliability would be priorities.
I have a WR250R insetad, which shares little in common enginewise, tough, reasonably light, 42, 000 km valve service intervals(vs 300, not a typo, for the GasGas).

Something that is commonly known and predictable and tough would be better in my books.

EDIT: This is a rider I met along the road, I think he's in Albania in the picture. If he can ride this all over the world, you can use it as a tender reliably I think. Fuel injected, reliable, used as delivery bikes worldwide.
EDIT2; BL, I wouldn't want one of those on my boat! Can't take it on the road around here, and could get you in a lot of hot water just about anywhere.

$5 a day, dirt roads RTW on a 125cc Yamaha YBR - ADVrider

Last edited by Jgbrown; 06-19-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
I wouldn't go with that FWIW. Looks like a lightweight play bike, not good for transporting goods, no passenger possible. Gimmicks are great, but for a tender to a boat, I'd go reliable, well known and predicatable. Especially if travelling out of the country. Few things appeal to me less than the idea of arguing why a border guard should understand that my piece of paper makes a not originally road legal bike road legal in a language I don't speak well.

CT110 or Yamaha 125 would be my choice. or a light small 250 if you can afford the space/weight. Something with an actual dealer network, common parts and known reliably. If you really want to go lighter still, a 50CC 2 stroke scooter upgraded to 70CC scooter would work well as well. That FX strikes me as the worst of both worlds; The motorcycle equivalent to a jetski. I once upon a time considered a similar bike as a cool alternative, I thought, a GASGAS with a hotted up WR250F engine in it.
I am very grateful I didn't. Expensive and frequent servicing, constant demand for parts and hard to find. As a on boat motorbike I'd think toughness and reliability would be priorities.
I have a WR250R insetad, which shares little in common enginewise, tough, reasonably light, 42, 000 km valve service intervals(vs 300, not a typo, for the GasGas).

Something that is commonly known and predictable and tough would be better in my books.

EDIT: This is a rider I met along the road, I think he's in Albania in the picture. If he can ride this all over the world, you can use it as a tender reliably I think. Fuel injected, reliable, used as delivery bikes worldwide.
EDIT2; BL, I wouldn't want one of those on my boat! Can't take it on the road around here, and could get you in a lot of hot water just about anywhere.

$5 a day, dirt roads RTW on a 125cc Yamaha YBR - ADVrider
Obviously those are more substantial bikes but do any of them weigh 125 Lbs and fit in a typical dinghy? A Honda Cub weighs almost twice that (200 Lbs)
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 06-19-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2012
is Awesome!

The WR250F is one of the best dirt-bikes available & is on my shopping list, but will be kept in my brother's garage to ride with him when back home.

But at it's heart, it is a competition bike capable of landing 30/40/50ft jumps etc and as such needs to be very tough, that toughness comes at a cost... weight! Ok, yes its less than 100kg (220lb) dry weight but that is too heavy to think about keeping on a small boat and you would need to crane it on and off etc

The little FX is light enough that it could be lifted onto the dockside without a crane, and (i think) put onto a tender safely, as long as some care was taken to protect the tender.

Any use abroad is going throw up problems regardless of what you were to take with you.
as long is the FX is properly road legal then it shouldn't (in theory) be a big problem.

Initially however it will be used as a commuter tool and play thing around the UK, if for example I decided to sail up to Scotland and explore some of the Scottish islands then I can do so on the little FX without needing to hire a car etc.

Here is a picture of the 'paps of Jura' for you all to enjoy, I lived on the west coast of Scotland in 2010 and fully intend to go back that way sooner or later and explore some of those waters in my little boat...
Old 06-19-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

What registration problems might you run into trying to use the roads in foreign countries with a motorized bike of any sort? It's difficult enough getting my bike to shore in a lot of places. You can easily pedal 20 miles or so with a regular bike to get supplies in a backpack. Anything farther than that and it's time to rent something with a motor ashore, get a taxi, a bus, or bum a ride.
Old 06-19-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Hey, if you have to ride, you have to ride. I get that, I have a couple of bikes myself. Go for it, if you must.

However, I'm quite suspicious of dead lifting 125lbs into a dinghy. I'm trying to envision my wife, just lying on the dock, while I am sitting in the dinghy and trying to pick her up and put her aboard. Not quite the same, but that would be hard. Now I'm trying to imagine getting it off the sailboat at anchor. Not gunna happen for me.

Naturally, you're going to have to wait for pipes to cool down when you return as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-19-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
However, I'm quite suspicious of dead lifting 125lbs into a dinghy. I'm trying to envision my wife, just lying on the dock, while I am sitting in the dinghy and trying to pick her up and put her aboard. Not quite the same, but that would be hard. Now I'm trying to imagine getting it off the sailboat at anchor.
I think for the most part you could use the boom as a make shift crane, with a little ingenuity I think this could be done easily enough.

The only scenario I can see that it might be an issue is if the boat is tied up along side another. Then it may be a taxi ride instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Naturally, you're going to have to wait for pipes to cool down when you return as well.
Good point!

Tags
bike , inspired , yacht

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.