Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Perfect yacht bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.UK View Post
I think for the most part you could use the boom as a make shift crane, with a little ingenuity I think this could be done easily enough.

The only scenario I can see that it might be an issue is if the boat is tied up along side another. Then it may be a taxi ride instead.
I'm a little confused, but you'll figure out a plan.

If you are loading into the dinghy with your boom, you must be at anchor/mooring. Otherwise, you would put it straight to the dock. It's getting it back into the dinghy from the dock that seems daunting to me. No boom available. Although, dropping her into the dink from the boom at anchor is a minimum two person job too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I guess this is worth mentioning, as you have some real $$ on the line. Most everyone I know that has a 100 lb outboard mounted on their stern rail, finds it and enormous PITA to deal with it. They often have dedicated motor hoists too. Just something to think about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-19-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Lots to think about for sure

But I have some until the bike arrives to figure some solutions.

I think you are right about dock to dinghy being the most tricky to sort though.
Old 06-19-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I have found my Crescent Swedish made folding bike does the job, no motor needed. Reduces my odds of winding up in the cardiac ward.
I have had to make some marine improvements. Got rid of the ball bearing pedals. They grind to a sudden halt, without warning, miles form your destination, when they give up. Then ,to make maters worse, all bikes have left hand threads on the left pedal and right hand threads on the right one. That way, when they start to seize up, the pedal is designed to unscrew itself every 50 feet. Were they the other way around, they would tighten; far more logical , but logic is too much to ask. I ended up welding a 7/16 stainless bolt to the pedal thread, then drilling a hole in a square piece of poly plastic , putting that over the bolt, and super gluing the nut on. I think that will last my lifetime. I also replaced the pedal mid bearings with bronze bushings.
As one Lasquetian told me "We ride our bikes thru clouds of grinding compound." When the two speed hub starts misbehaving, I pump it full of "Corrosion Block" a sealer in a pressure can I bought from an electronics place, Quaele Electric, designed for reducing corrosion on electronics. It foams like peroxide. Thus it gets under the crud and blows it off. When it starts leaving the hub, it first looks like mud gushing out. When it comes clean, the inside of the hub is clean. Then the gear works much better , until the mud fills it up again. Thankfully , this lets me clean it without taking it apart.
smurphny likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-19-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2012

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road

Bought a pair of these last month, neither running. Took 'em to the guy who works on my bikes and he made one good 'un outta two. I'm thinking this would work as good as any of them new age machines .... check it out. 1982 Yamaha Towny 110 lbs (assuming dry,) shaft drive (no chain rust worries) and the suspension actually works ..... sorta. LOL Comes street legal and tops out at about 33 MPH, guess Interstates are out. Anyway, didn't buy for the boat (I'm a day sailor) but for quick runs to the local market a mile or so away. Just brought her home today so here goes:

Look; racks front and rear!

Is that road rash?

I could have them off in no time, them maybe a block of wood for protection.

I'm the second owner; got owners man and everything! 3900 miles.

DB
Old 06-19-2012
is Awesome!

Can't do this:

or this:

or this:

and I love doing this kind of stuff!

For me the FX will allow me to do this kind of stuff (to some degree) as well as a commuter tool. There have been some wonderful suggestions and I am hugely grateful for everybody's input. And I hope this thread has been useful to others too

But for my own needs/desires the FX is still a clear winner for me!

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 06-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2012
is Awesome!

Not so sure about the gun on the front but this version has a bit of storage!

And here is a picture complete with token hotty!

But sadly I don't think she comes with the bike!

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 06-19-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2012

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road

Hey David,

My post was a little tongue-in-cheek as the improvements over the last 30 years have been amazing! That FX looks like a nice bit of kit and I wouldn't mind having one myself.

From 50cc to 125cc and roughly the same weight BUT: Disc vs drum; Aluminum vs pressed steal; proper tires (okay tyres) vs moped tires; proper suspension vs junk! LOL

Looking forward to your ride report.

BTW I love doing that sort of stuff, too. Here in Florida no mountains to climb but I'm really good in deep sand!

DB

Last edited by Dirtboy; 06-20-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2012
is Awesome!

lol, no worries.

I know that for many who have posted the function of any on board transport for most tends to be just for nipping the the shops and so on.

To be honest before I accidentally found the FX I has more or less decided that the idea of cruising with a dirtbike on board was too ambitious and the best was forward would be to buy a little diBlasi or yikebike and hire car/dirtbike when required.

There are a few videos and stuff on the web, I just hope that it is as good as it appears to be on paper and in the ride reviews etc.
Old 06-20-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

a generation ago we were doing that just fine with old Honda Trail 90s and 110s.

I had an old Honda 175 streetbike that never saw the street- abandoned rail beds, gravel pits, fields, but no roads.
In the 3rd world, the Honda Cub and it's various knock-offs are still popular family transportation and Off-roading in Britain is equivalent to a good road in Borneo.

You really don't need the latest and greatest to dow what has been done since bikes were first built. But, the one thing the bike in question does have is lighter weight.
Maybe.
Methinks weight will go up once mass production starts. IF production starts.
Jgbrown likes this.

Tags
bike , inspired , yacht