Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Re: maine to bahamas and back

Got to be careful about crew.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012

norsearayder is on a distinguished road

so true about crew,after i got to florida ,the marine wanted back on to continue but i learned my lesson and went on alone.but back to lewes del.i got a little weather window from the onslaught of southeasterlys and went around the corner to ocean city maryland. i started at 8 knots and by the time i got there the wind had swung back to se and i went trough the channel.it was a fairly hairy ride that day with breakers on both sides coming in and as you can see on the charts theres not much water debth in there,i went south in the channel and soon found the mud and then wiggiled out and back downriver and set the hook..the wild horses on the beach was oustanding and sometimes the stallion was up all night raising cain.i bought a new grill some ship stores and waited for wind shift..i finnally got a nw breeze and took off for hatterras heading offshore of dead on.this put me well off of the chesapeake but i still had traffic at night,the wind picked up and by the next afternoon i was hand steering because the autopilot was overwelmed by the large seas coming from astern..i didnt want to get to close to hatterras as the wind picked up and went ne..as i rounded hatterras under third reef only i was doing 8.3 knots against the stream wind speed at hatteras was 33 knots and where i was it seemed more than that.i knew i was in the stream because of the warm water coming aboard as spray.after or while rounding the hatteras buoy i encountered a freighter heading out on my inside,we got around each other and i skipped down the coast to point lookout for some r&r..and then to buefort nc
Old 06-25-2012

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road

Well done and well thought out - the worry over a careless/carefree/lousy crew is as exhausting as solo sailing. Having said that, I recognize the fatigue that you must have had to deal with in your bash against the stream while hand-steering and standing watch/dozing alone on your boat. It's not all beautiful harbors and romantic moonlight sails... Nice job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 06-25-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmalkin View Post
Well done and well thought out - the worry over a careless/carefree/lousy crew is as exhausting as solo sailing. Having said that, I recognize the fatigue that you must have had to deal with in your bash against the stream while hand-steering and standing watch/dozing alone on your boat. It's not all beautiful harbors and romantic moonlight sails... Nice job.
Hmmm, going out around Hatteras inshore of the Stream, in a NE breeze equivalent in knots to the length of your boat...?

Not sure I'd consider that to be especially "well thought out", but perhaps that's just me... (grin)

I don't know, a guy drinking 10 beers during the course of a single watch, that tale sounds a bit "tall", to me...
Old 06-30-2012

id rather be in a 32 foot craft in 33knots than a 64 foot boat in 66 knots,i guess you have to be sure of your skills and your vessel to round hatteras at any time,it always amazes me that so many large wellfound boats take the inside route...but to each his own directions and goals'as for the marine he did drink my whole beer stash on watch.i told him to stop drinking after 2 beers but he kept rite on drinking.when i awoke he was passed out in the cockpit ,the boat sailing well under autopilot..
Old 06-30-2012

hurricanehole is on a distinguished road

haha, I agree on wind speeds and boat length. Way to go on the trip, that's a long one and worth all the effort. I just got back from five weeks in the Abacos on my Compac 23, during which two tropical depressions sure got my attention. The trip was great and doable so don't wait for that big cruiser of your dreams. My quote of the day from the newest Longmire book: stay calm, have courage and watch for signs.
Old 06-30-2012
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road

Yours is at least partly a cautionary tale about crew and alcohol on board. I never found it a good idea to have alcohol on board while sailing a long distance, but the one time I did have it on board, the results were the same as yours,

As for crew, it is an interesting experience you had. Hopefully, those who seek crew on this board and others will rethink their strategy when they see your post and only use crew who have experience.
Old 06-30-2012

rackham the red is on a distinguished road

Good for you! I am envious! Sorry about the crew problems. It is hard to find good people to sail with, isn't it? Still you sailed the dream.
Old 07-01-2012

i had a few ladys come vist when i was in marsh harbor they were great fun..as a result of this cre,more laterw exp and my consequently single handing the voyage i got a new perspective on crew,i dont need no stinkin crew[at least when things go somewhat to plan] that was an eyeopener..but now back in maine i had a great sail friday with my buddy,we went strait east for 10 miles and back top speed 7.8
Old 07-01-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I don't know, a guy drinking 10 beers during the course of a single watch, that tale sounds a bit "tall", to me...
That depends on how long the watches are doesn't it Jon? *grin*

I stick to four hour watches so there is enough time for the offwatch to get enough rest. I prefer three or four aboard.

For the OP, check Offshore Passages Opportunities ( sailopo.com ) for more professional crew. Great resource and all you have to do is feed them on board - most get themselves to and from the boat on their own.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.