Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Latts & Atts is GONE!

So what happens with their deal with the Lost Soul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road

Bummer. Bob is an original, and while I found the "I'm wasted in paradise" contributions to be tiring after awhile, the columnists were interesting, and the entire editorial gestalt was a breath of fresh air. I too subscribed for a year or so, but let it expire. I would occasionally pick up a copy on the newsstand. In short, a nice change of pace in small doses.

Bob and Jody did that extensive refit of Lost Soul a few years ago, when as Bob said, the magazine was actually starting to throw off some cash. But it was only short time later that Bob and Jody started building their dream boat with Shannon Yachts and sold Lost Soul. That hull got about halfway finished before they had to pull the plug on it. And as any reader of Lats and Atts knows, Shannon runs an ad in every issue offering to finish the hull for any intrepid cruiser with the cash.

So given the obvious money issues that Bob and Jody were having, I was a bit surprised to see that someone bought the magazine. I know that Bob had been actively looking to sell the magazine, but I thought the "window of profitability" on that had closed, so I wasn't expecting a sale anytime soon.

I will miss Bob and the magazine.
Old 06-21-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

"Living Aboard" still seems to be alive. I thought they were published by the same company?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-21-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

latsandatts was good for a long time--the forum became riddled with trolls and cliquishness which doesnt belong ina forum, yet always happens..mjagazine became very very commercial, as have most of the "cruiser friendly" glossy mags.....is time for a change, but the way this change went about sounds rather foul.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 06-21-2012

Skip Wiley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
"Living Aboard" still seems to be alive. I thought they were published by the same company?
The website's alive, but the magazine had been folded into L&A as of this spring (last issue listed on the Living Aboard site is March/April). Last month's L&A had a "Living Aboard" section in the center, this month's magazine had no such thing and next month's magazine ... oh, right.
Old 06-21-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

****! This was my favorite publication.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 06-21-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Latts & Atts is GONE!

Is Bob still going to cruise on Lost Soul?
Old 06-21-2012
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road

Well I called it!!! see the link below and my prediction. Anybody wanna buy me a beer? I wish I could predict stock prices the same

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/latitu...been-sold.html

"This is terrible news to me. Bob and Jodie are the hearts of L&A and of their small empire. Just because the new owners are "yachties" doesn't mean they know the newsprint business and how expensive it actually is. Profits are small and the undertaking is huge. Pulp and paper prices are steadily increasing and advertising steadly decreasing. I'm not sure why anybody would want to get into the pubilshing game in these times. I wish them luck, but unless they have deep pockets, lots of experience and contacts, I can see L&A going under within one year. "
Old 06-21-2012

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Bummer. Bob is an original, and while I found the "I'm wasted in paradise" contributions to be tiring after awhile, the columnists were interesting, and the entire editorial gestalt was a breath of fresh air. I too subscribed for a year or so, but let it expire. I would occasionally pick up a copy on the newsstand. In short, a nice change of pace in small doses.
This, and similar comments from others here, mirror my views exactly. I thought I was the only one but I guess not. It was always one of those things where it wasn't exactly my style, but I was always glad it was there. I always thought it was nice that they brought a bit of attitude to cruising, Captain Ron style. I feel similar about sailing anarchy, at the other end of the spectrum.

I could never bring myself to actually subscribe. I did the online subscription for a year once, but didn't really read much of the mag. Still, when I see a copy laying around, I always enjoy going through it.

Too bad how things seem to have gone down. It will make an interesting read once things come out (probably in a court room). I wish nothing but the best for Bob and Jodie.
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 06-21-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

I used to pick it up occasionally from the newsagent, but it never grabbed me enough to subscribe to it. It was an interesting take on cruising, just not mine. I'm guessing, without acrimony of any kind, that there are more folks that bought into it's image over at SA than around here.

With that said, there were alot of people tied into the publication both financially & emotionally. What little information there is doesn't paint a nice picture of the future for them. I feel for Bob, his wife, and the extended L&A "family". Being on the sharp end of these situations is not pleasant and I wish them the best.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.