Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Latts & Atts is GONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander66 View Post
I dont agree. I am not a fan of Hunter sailboats, but would sad should they disappear. Why?, because they are part of the sailing community. Weather you like or dislike the magazine, it means one less source of info, one less publication which promotes sailing.
I believe the magazine "living aboard" was also taken over by Seafaring a few years ago, so that mag is likely also gone.

Not an event which should be cheered by sailors IMHO, whether you love or hate the magazine.
I'm not necessarily cheering, bv. I'm just saying that the L&A angle is over...like Tupperware. Think about it...who is the "Lowrider" audience these days? Dudes that trailer their Hogs to Sturgiss and pretend they're bad-asses for a weekend. It's all pretend. The Easy Rider era is way gone.

This same pretense, the zeitgeist of L&A, fell out of sailboating far more quickly than it has with bikes because of the cost and work involved. You can't trailer your 50' Shannon to St. Thomas for a weekend of badassery...even if 3-5 of the breasts are still perky.

Sailing in general is becoming something far different...more sophisticated. I honestly think it's on the brink of a bit of a resurgence. And, though I can't quite put my finger on what it will look like yet, L&A definitely wasn't "hip" to it.
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012

Skip Wiley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I don't think anyone is cheering, merely giving reasons why it became commercially unsustainable and/or why its time had passed.
Ad revenue was actually up close to 9 percent this year ... commercially unsustainable, huh?
Old 06-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Wiley View Post
Ad revenue was actually up close to 9 percent this year ... commercially unsustainable, huh?
In a vacuum, that doesn't mean much. If I sold two lemonades at the end of my driveway last year and sold three this year, my revenue would be up 50%. I would not, however, be sustainable.

L&A had a following for sure.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-26-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

L&A was not a mag I subscribed to, but I am not going to dance on it's grave either. I'm kinda hoping it is reborn in some fashion. Yeah, the content was sometimes laughably amateurish, but everyone was having fun.
Ain't that what this is all about? If I want articles about boats I cannot afford and pictures about immaculate people with perfect breasts and spotless boats, or grim expressions from under the hood of the foulweather jacket with yet another 40' breaker looming over the transom, there are lots of magazines i can choose from.

I venture that Lats and Atts has done more to get the average cruiser off the couch and on the water than Cruising World and Sail.

Old 06-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
... I am not going to dance on it's grave either.....
Me either, it just wasn't my thing.

Quote:
..... immaculate people with perfect breasts and spotless boats....
Sign me up for a lifetime subscription

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-26-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
In a vacuum, that doesn't mean much. If I sold two lemonades at the end of my driveway last year and sold three this year, my revenue would be up 50%. I would not, however, be sustainable.
That's because you were such a tight ass with the sugar. That stuff was swill!
zeehag and CaptFoolhardy like this.

Old 06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
That's because you were such a tight ass with the sugar. That stuff was swill!
It wasn't lemon either....
mstern, smackdaddy, zeehag and 1 others like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 06-26-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Classic.

Old 06-26-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

I asked my Wife about our subscription, she said it was up for renewal and she forgot about it, I said good girl don't re-up. I didn't exactly wait at the mailbox to read it cover to cover every month but I enjoyed having it around. The use of the word "kewl" did make my skin crawl but there were plenty of good things about that magazine that I enjoyed.

Although BB was a little left of my politics I liked using him as an example when people would ask how a biker and former power boater (refering to me) could turn to sail? I'd respond that the need and expense to fuel engines is too limiting for the size, amount of time or possible distance I like to boat, then I'd tell them about BB, then I tell them the top reason...it's a helluva lot of fun!
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 06-26-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's the funniest thing I heard all day!
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.