Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Latts & Atts is GONE!

last email i got was soliciting for funding.

is definitely time for a change-is there enough money in this world for folks to be opportunizing off cruisers and wannabe cruisers??? is this truly where the big bux are????

if it is, why the need to solicit for funding for a magazine when the last effort went south for whatever reason and boats lost for whatever reason -- funding--and such??? is he gonna make enough dough soliciting funding to gain a cruiser again????
does this not sound like a soap opera?????

IS TIME FOR A CHANGE
smackdaddy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2012

johnweb is on a distinguished road

It made me laugh more than once. It lost some of it's appeal over the years but was still worth cruisen through. Best of luck to the crew.
Old 09-19-2012

johnweb is on a distinguished road

pulled out my old copies of easy rider and found a picture of there complaint dept.
looked an awful lot like BB 35-40 years ago.
Old 10-09-2012

drunkinsailor is on a distinguished road

I hear there is a lot more to the story than what BB has been putting out there... someone told me ther is a website that has more details but I havent been able to find it... anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-10-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinsailor View Post
I hear there is a lot more to the story than what BB has been putting out there... someone told me ther is a website that has more details but I havent been able to find it... anybody have any ideas?
Personally I think it is obvious what happened. Bob was lucky and got out, and sold to an investor who did not know what they were getting into and once he saw the writing on the wall, bailed. There is a future in print, and I think Good Old Boat is a model that can work. Low costs, so low subscription numbers can be supported. Big glossy magazines are not really going to work unless you are catering to big dollar advertisers like Sail Magazine.

As Zee says there is not a lot of money to be squeezed from what remains of the cruising world.
Old 10-12-2012
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sailing in general is becoming something far different...more sophisticated. I honestly think it's on the brink of a bit of a resurgence. And, though I can't quite put my finger on what it will look like yet, L&A definitely wasn't "hip" to it.
This comment caught my eye.

On one level I get the feeling that lots of interesting things are happening - for example boats like the AC45s are exciting enough to watch even for the layman.

At the same time the marinas in San Diego are noticably empty and most of the other boats don't go out much.
Old 10-12-2012

oldragbaggers is on a distinguished road

What's the magazine of today for cruisers who are just plain folk on real budgets (not boat bums, but not wealthy either) who want a down to earth magazine, with real information and articles, geared toward the simple adventurous life? Does that even exist anymore?

My husband and I have been dreaming of the cruising life for 30 years. We had figured to be retired by now, but life (kids, grandkids, other twists and turns) conspired to keep us grounded a while longer. But throughout all these years we have been active sailors and have lived aboard several boats. So we know we are ready. The day we cut the dock lines is within sight. But in the meantime good cruising reads keep the fire fueled during the cold Chesapeake winter.

We have been subscribers to Cruising World, Sail, Chesapeake Bay (we live there), Good Old Boat, Lats & Atts, Wooden Boat and various others over the years.

Cruising World used to be our go-to magazine, but now it seems to be nothing but slick cover to cover advertisements for boats and gear that no normal person (or at least WE) could ever afford. The actual cruising articles are few and far between, and again usually written by people cruising on a boat and/or budget out of the reach of most people.

Sail is usually a lot about racing and, again, very expensive toys for very wealthy people. There's usually one or two decent articles, but it's best feature this month was the 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight.

I used to read every word on those two magazines, cover to cover, like I was reading from the Bible every month. Now I can get through one in 15-20 minutes tops.

Good Old Boat is nice, but a little pricey for what you get and after a subscribing for a number of years it seems like it's the same fixer-upper articles, just done on different boats. It's best feature is bringing to the attention of those looking for a potential cruiser boats that maybe they hadn't heard of or considered.

I too got bored with Lats & Atts (honestly, middle aged people using the word "kewl" ???) after a few years, but at least it was normal people and showed the earthy side of things.

How I miss the real cruising stories written by the likes of the Pardy's, Hal Roth, Eric Hiscock and the like. People on simple (but usually meticulously maintained) boats, using simple systems, living within a budget and cruising with dignity. The ones whose conduct and example made cruisers welcomed guests in the harbors of the world.

So, again I ask, what are the cruisers reading now??

Becky
swampcreek likes this.

Last edited by oldragbaggers; 10-12-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

Becky, lately I find myself re-reading and enjoying a lot of the books by some of the authors you mentioned and others. Try that.

Mike
oldragbaggers likes this.
Old 10-13-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
This comment caught my eye.

On one level I get the feeling that lots of interesting things are happening - for example boats like the AC45s are exciting enough to watch even for the layman.

At the same time the marinas in San Diego are noticably empty and most of the other boats don't go out much.
I think you're right on it with the AC45s. The ACWS is poised to bring sailing much more toward the mainstream.

But then you also look at the young sailors trying to break the RTW records. It's on the radar of a new generation.

The "adventure" of stailing is coming back. At the same time, it's not here yet. And the mass of boats that are out there are laregely rotting away is because they belong to older people who watched "The Dove" but then lost the mojo.

Sailing oin the US is coming back...slowly. And it will be interesting to see what it looks like with the next generation.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-13-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Becky,
I agree with you most of the sailing mag's have gone commercial - and you can't blame them as they are for profit.
At the same time the level of writing and reporting has gone downhill and budgets have been cut. I used to get all the mag's - and overtime got tired of seeing a rehash of the same reviews of the same boats/gear in every one of them.

Try blogs. None of them will win a prize for writing (well maybe mine will), but they tell the stories of the people who are out there doing it. Most of them are just simple folk writing for a primary audience of family and friends. They keep it real.

What you do to find these blogs is look in the signature line of folks here, then look at the links they have for other's blogs, and a domino effect eventually gets you to some good reading.
MSN2Travelers likes this.