Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012

oldragbaggers is on a distinguished road
Re: Latts & Atts is GONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
Becky, lately I find myself re-reading and enjoying a lot of the books by some of the authors you mentioned and others. Try that.

Mike
Funny you suggest that. I am currently reading "Two on a Big Ocean" by Hal Roth. It reminds me why we had the dream in the first place.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2012

oldragbaggers is on a distinguished road

Thanks ChucklesR, that is an excellent suggestion.
Old 10-13-2012

HBar50 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
What's the magazine of today for cruisers who are just plain folk on real budgets (not boat bums, but not wealthy either) who want a down to earth magazine, with real information and articles, geared toward the simple adventurous life? Does that even exist anymore?

My husband and I have been dreaming of the cruising life for 30 years. We had figured to be retired by now, but life (kids, grandkids, other twists and turns) conspired to keep us grounded a while longer. But throughout all these years we have been active sailors and have lived aboard several boats. So we know we are ready. The day we cut the dock lines is within sight. But in the meantime good cruising reads keep the fire fueled during the cold Chesapeake winter.

We have been subscribers to Cruising World, Sail, Chesapeake Bay (we live there), Good Old Boat, Lats & Atts, Wooden Boat and various others over the years.

Cruising World used to be our go-to magazine, but now it seems to be nothing but slick cover to cover advertisements for boats and gear that no normal person (or at least WE) could ever afford. The actual cruising articles are few and far between, and again usually written by people cruising on a boat and/or budget out of the reach of most people.

Sail is usually a lot about racing and, again, very expensive toys for very wealthy people. There's usually one or two decent articles, but it's best feature this month was the 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight.

I used to read every word on those two magazines, cover to cover, like I was reading from the Bible every month. Now I can get through one in 15-20 minutes tops.

Good Old Boat is nice, but a little pricey for what you get and after a subscribing for a number of years it seems like it's the same fixer-upper articles, just done on different boats. It's best feature is bringing to the attention of those looking for a potential cruiser boats that maybe they hadn't heard of or considered.

I too got bored with Lats & Atts (honestly, middle aged people using the word "kewl" ???) after a few years, but at least it was normal people and showed the earthy side of things.

How I miss the real cruising stories written by the likes of the Pardy's, Hal Roth, Eric Hiscock and the like. People on simple (but usually meticulously maintained) boats, using simple systems, living within a budget and cruising with dignity. The ones whose conduct and example made cruisers welcomed guests in the harbors of the world.

So, again I ask, what are the cruisers reading now??

Becky

I do not read any of the US sailing rags anymore for the same reasons....try Yachting Monthly and Practical Boat Owner from the UK. Lots of good information that is not a thinly disguised advert.
Old 10-14-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

We just subscribed to Good Old Boat, it has some interesting articles and is aimed at "normal" budgets, we also like Practical Sailor a lot. We get Sailing due to our ASA membership but we're not in the market for a 5M racing machine. We just sold our 1993 Macgregor (LOVED THAT BOAT!) and bought a 2000 Catalina 320 which we are learning and constantly being amazed with but walking the piers I notice that even at 12 years old (really 13) the vast majority of boats are older than ours. So maybe a magazine like "Good But Not So Old Boat" might work. I guess there are so many different styles, ages and owner income levels that there would be no one size fits all. BUT although we did enjoy L&A's and really liked the readers pictures section (I guess BB play off In The Wind in Easyrider Magazine) did I'd wince and cringe everytime I read "kewel".
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 10-18-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
We just subscribed to Good Old Boat, it has some interesting articles and is aimed at "normal" budgets, we also like Practical Sailor a lot. We get Sailing due to our ASA membership but we're not in the market for a 5M racing machine. We just sold our 1993 Macgregor (LOVED THAT BOAT!) and bought a 2000 Catalina 320 which we are learning and constantly being amazed with but walking the piers I notice that even at 12 years old (really 13) the vast majority of boats are older than ours. So maybe a magazine like "Good But Not So Old Boat" might work. I guess there are so many different styles, ages and owner income levels that there would be no one size fits all. BUT although we did enjoy L&A's and really liked the readers pictures section (I guess BB play off In The Wind in Easyrider Magazine) did I'd wince and cringe everytime I read "kewel".
Yea the thing with fiberglass, if it is well taken care of it will last almost indefinitely. Many of the first fiberglass boats are still around. Granted they overbuilt a bit as it was "new" back then, but given no accidents and well maintained there is no reason why a fiberglass boat can't last 100 years. So a boat magazine that really caters to older boats does seem to work well. Especially if you have reader created content like GOB I don't know the going rate for an article in a fancy magazine, but I am sure it is a fraction of what GOB pays. They also don't seem to play the giveaway price game for subscriptions just to get numbers to show advertizes. I get about 20 magazines a week that I don't pay for. I got on a list and when a subscription number drops they start sending them out for free.

I like practial sailor as well, but I wonder how they are doing. They seem to have really dropped the subscription price and I think they claim they pay for everything they test. That seems to put a limit on what they can do and be profitable.
Old 10-18-2012

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

the publishing world is a mess. newsweek just announced they are ending the print mag and will be online only.
newspapers & magazines are fighting a tough battle. They're loosing readers to forums like this, blogs, e-books, etc. So the spiral is picking up speed. And the pay isn't much for even the best writers, so they're looking elsewhere for work. online advertising isn't working well enough to keep the traditional publishing model going. facebook cratered because there's no revenue. google stock dropped because they can't monetize android/iphones very well.
canadianseamonkey likes this.
Old 10-19-2012
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road

Xort you are so right and what you said is exactly the truth. Anybody who is getting into the publishing business today is going to lose his shirt. When I received the email from Bob and Jody about prepaying my yearly subscription to their NEW magazine, I delete the email right away. Only fools would send them money in advance. Did they publish yet?

It's a messed up world we sail in.
Old 10-21-2012

flyingriki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckledragger View Post
Article on todays "Lectronic Latitudes"

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Latitude 38, and Spindler in particular, have always had a woodie on for Bob. Guess they just had to get in some final licks......!

Here is another view of the situation:
http://cruisingoutpost.com/2012/10/i...des-attitudes/

Last edited by flyingriki; 10-21-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2012

swedeish cedar is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Latts & Atts is GONE!

I already looked at the "NEW" website--- the mouths and attitudes seem to be out of a low rent dive in the bad part of town. Some of the posters seem to be re-hashing the civil war---others seem to be trying out the crudest words
and concepts from the dark ages. All in all unless the market goods are hate speech and ignorance I can't see someone paying for the bandwidth and server space to keep that brand of funk around.
Old 11-14-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedeish cedar View Post
I already looked at the "NEW" website--- the mouths and attitudes seem to be out of a low rent dive in the bad part of town. Some of the posters seem to be re-hashing the civil war---others seem to be trying out the crudest words
and concepts from the dark ages. All in all unless the market goods are hate speech and ignorance I can't see someone paying for the bandwidth and server space to keep that brand of funk around.
I don't know how much bandwidth do they need? There are only like 10 people on the web site.