SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Latts & Atts is GONE! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/88844-latts-atts-gone.html)

nauticalnut 06-20-2012 06:29 PM

Latts & Atts is GONE!

if you go to www.seafaring.com you will get:

"Due to recent changes, this site is being re-designed. If you would like to be kept informed and updated on when it will be operational again, please enter your email below."

I tried some old links I had in my history and manage to get into the message boards off one of them. The site title is now "Bob Bitchin's Seafaring.com" and the first message is entitled: "Bob & Jody no longer with Lats&Atts"

Appearantly the new owners have locked the office doors and let EVERYONE go. The July issue is not being printed.

nauticalnut 06-20-2012 06:32 PM

Re: Latts & Atts is GONE!

Here is the text from Bob's post:

As much as we hate to tell you all this, we are pretty stupid. We sold the magazine in January and have been living in a fools paradise ever since. This morning (6/20/12) when Eddier Sue went to the office, the doors were locked, the locks had been changed, and the new owners had left a note on the door "Closed Until Further Notice." We were told that the July issue had not been printed. At this time we do not know what will happen, but the "family" (all of whom had been laid off over the past few months) are all in communication and we will update things as we can here on the bulletin board.

"The difference between and ordeal and an adventure is Attitude" Bob Bitchin

"Sometimes it's just an ordeal" Jody Bitchin

smackdaddy 06-20-2012 06:37 PM

Bummer. I have to say it's not much of a surprise. But it still sucks.

So what's next in gonzo sailing journalism?

bljones 06-20-2012 06:42 PM

Links?

bljones 06-20-2012 06:44 PM

Found it:
Bob Bitchin's Cruiser's Forum • View topic - Bob & Jody no longer with Lats&Atts

tdw 06-20-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 887147)
Bummer. I have to say it's not much of a surprise. But it still sucks.

So what's next in gonzo sailing journalism?

Why not a surprise Smack ?

I thought that L&A was a pretty thriving wee venture. Something must be horribly wrong if you buy a business and within five months close it down. Either they paid way too much for it and couldn't get a return or of course there is the possibility they hadn't paid all the dosh up front and decided to cut and run.

Potential for dirty deeds here.

Minnewaska 06-20-2012 08:20 PM

Call me whatever you will, but I was not a big Latts and Atts fan. Some of it was good. I particularly like his ordeal vs adventure quote. I think it was pretty cool that a business was built around their approach to cruising, but it just didn't work for me. Apparently, I'm not alone.

UncleJim 06-20-2012 09:12 PM

I liked the less than reverent approach to life that L&A had. Although I had been noticing that as the economy and advertising dollars started to dip it became more of a "come on our dream cruse" sales brochure. Also there were fewer of those little comic inserts that reminded me of the old CarToon and Mad magazines of my less than reputable misspent youth

tdw 06-20-2012 10:46 PM

It didn't work for me. I enjoyed its out there attitude when it began and even subscribed for a year but for me it simply drifted into boring as the years went by. I doubt I've even looked at one of the online editions in a couple of years.

Still and all, from that link of Jones, it appears the Bitchin's themselves have been wiped out by this and I don't particularly like to see that happen.

smackdaddy 06-20-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJim (Post 887199)
I liked the less than reverent approach to life that L&A had. Although I had been noticing that as the economy and advertising dollars started to dip it became more of a "come on our dream cruse" sales brochure. Also there were fewer of those little comic inserts that reminded me of the old CarToon and Mad magazines of my less than reputable misspent youth

Bingo. It's time had come and gone. And there are precious few ad dollars flowing around right now.