Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
Lobster pots

I have been doing KTL for five years now

Over that time I have got caught up in fishing gear - or the drifting remains of fishing gear - three times

I reckon it has cost me around £1500, the loss of ten weeks on the water and has been instrumental in me selling one boat and replacing it with one with an outboard in a well

I wonder if any of you could tell me what the fishing gear is like in your part of the world and how much getting entangled has cost you in terms of money, lost sailing days and fear

Dylan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Lobster pots

Since this install, its cost me zero. I did hit a lone ranger about 30nm offshore from Boston last year in over 200 ft of water. How would have expected that? Went immediately to neutral. As soon as I put her back in gear, I heard a clunk and the float came out the side of the boat.

Spurs Marine Line & Net Cutter Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-21-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
I have been doing KTL for five years now

Over that time I have got caught up in fishing gear - or the drifting remains of fishing gear - three times

I reckon it has cost me around £1500, the loss of ten weeks on the water and has been instrumental in me selling one boat and replacing it with one with an outboard in a well

I wonder if any of you could tell me what the fishing gear is like in your part of the world and how much getting entangled has cost you in terms of money, lost sailing days and fear

Dylan
We are actually discussing just this right now in a different thread:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seaman...er-floats.html
Old 06-21-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Fishing buoys and lobster pots are not a huge problem down here though during the lobster season there can be a few about. Nowhere near as many as I've seen off the coast of e.g Portugal where the sea was littered with the buggers.

There is a buoy off Sydney Heads thats a trap for unwary players, we've been unwary once I blushingly admit.

To add to the blushingly admitting our biggest problem was when we ran over our mooring line. Complete cockup on the communication front saw the Womboat straddle the mooring line with buoy to port and dinghy to starboard. They re-established their relationship a short time later in a menage a trois with the propellor shaft. Urk.

Poor widdle dinghy. Never been quite the same since. Has now taken to sinking if left on mooring for a day or three, spending its time skulking a couple of feet below the surface.
Faster and chef2sail like this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-22-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Poor widdle dinghy. Never been quite the same since. Has now taken to sinking if left on mooring for a day or three, spending its time skulking a couple of feet below the surface.-tdw
You hacve such a way with words....I am laughing
Faster and tdw like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-22-2012

lajimo is on a distinguished road
Lobster pots

I sail primarily on lake Ponchartrain near new Orleans and crab traps are a big issue. In some areas of the lake they are very densely laid in lines with barely enough room to sail through. Motoring after dark is basically a crap shoot since its almost impossible to see the tiny floats at night.
Old 06-22-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

With our full keel and protected prop, we haven't caught one yet and they are quite thick through the Florida Bay and the Keys.

Old 06-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You hacve such a way with words....I am laughing
Thanks Chef. It was quite amusing to get back to our mooring after four days away to find no dinghy only to realise painter was still attached to buoy. We hauled her up and out with a spare halyard and left her dangling to drain out. Poor wee thing. Looking somewhat bedraggled but toiling on.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-22-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

In the last 10 years, I have probably caught 5 pots. Not a big deal. No cost or time lost except a 15 minute delay to my destination.

Floating line is illegal so most derelict gear sinks although you do still see some of the floating stuff that gets washed off the shores at the higher tides.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-22-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post

Dylan
A picture is worth more than a description...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.