Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GaryHLucas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012

SEOANE is on a distinguished road
Questions OF ETAP

Hello everyone and a few rounds of beer, I'm new to this forum and my English too,

I am interested in buying a ETAP 28i, but on a forum I read that the ETAP may have structural problems if the compartments where the foam is water leaks as this will damage the foam-causing structural weakness

Is this true?, Anyone knows any case?, As I can heard check the boat does not have this problem?

Thanks and hope to soon have an ETAP
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Questions OF ETAP

Seoane, the Etap has a cored hull. The core material closed-cell polyurethane foam. They claim the boat is unsinkable. Here is a review:

Etap 28s Sailboat Review | Cruising World

If penetrations for thru hulls were not properly sealed, water could leak in between the layers of glass and saturate the foam. A good surveyor with a moisture meter can easily detect any problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 06-22-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-23-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

Seoane,
I have an Etap 26. Etap's don't have a cored hull in the traditional sense. Etaps have an inner hull which is inserted into the outer hull and bonded in place. Then they foam the space between the hulls. The space that gets foamed is very large, enough to provide positive bouyancy for the whole boat. You can see the 2" diameter plugs in many places where they poured or pumped in the foam. So in the sense of coring, the foam is not structural. I don't doubt that it stiffens the hull though just by backing it up.

My boat does have water between the hulls. I know because I have drilled 4 or 5 3/4" diameter holes in various places. I found water almost everywhere. I don't believe the water is getting in anywhere on the hull. I think it comes in from deck leaks, because I know I have a couple of deck leaks. Etap's also have liners over head, there is no raw fiberglass visible anywhere on the boat, even in the lockers. That overhead liner though can direct a deck leak over to hull sides. The space between the deck, which is cored, and the overhead liner is not foamed. They actually put nearly all the foam below the waterline. So I have drained all the water out that I can. I expect that once I get her back in the water and start heeling the boat, that more will come out. I'm working on the deck leaks now.

Does the foam get waterlogged? My boat was on a mooring year round for 25 years. At some point at least 10 years ago the rudder was damaged by ice floes and had a large hole in it. I split the rudder expecting the worse. None of the foam was deteriorated or wet! I dug every last bit out, and re-foamed it when I put it back together. The rudder shaft was aluminum and had aluminum bars welded on inside the rudder. All of it was bright and shiny! I did have severe corrosion on the shaft, above the rudder where COPPER bottom paint was used. Everywhere else it was bright and shiny. I ground out the damage and welded it up.

On a quality basis an Etap is a step above the Hunters, Catalinas, Beneteaus, etc. They are very cleverly designed, used good materials and are very comfortable because the hull doesn't sweat with all that foam. That said, my 26 with a retractable keel has a major structural design flaw that caused hull and deck damage. I don't believe any of the fixed keel Etaps would have a problem like this.

Hope this helps,

Gary H. Lucas
PeterRM likes this.
Old 05-25-2014

David Van Arsdale is on a distinguished road

Gary,

Hard to find other ETAP owners in the U.S., as I'm sure you are aware. I have a 28i. I am a new sail net member, so I can not as of yet send you a message. Send me one so we can share information.

Best,
David
Old 05-26-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Van Arsdale View Post
Gary,

Hard to find other ETAP owners in the U.S., as I'm sure you are aware. I have a 28i. I am a new sail net member, so I can not as of yet send you a message. Send me one so we can share information.

Best,
David
Seoane only posted twice and that was 2 years ago. Doubtful that he still looks at Sailnet.

Welcome to Sailnet.