Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: compressed natural gass

Here in Vancouver BC we're told it's simple.. basically a $20 exchange for a filled cylinder, and two cylinders will last a couple of months. This from current users, it does fly in the face of anecdotal info, and CNG will be difficult to find outside of major centers. However for the average coastal cruiser if you can leave port with a two month supply that really shouldn't be an issue either.

I agree that the #2000 psi bottle is probably lower risk that the use of propane itself, though we've been using propane safely for a long time. Some of the boats we've been shopping lately have been CNG equipped and now I'm thinking it would be less of a problem than originally felt.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

The question has to be where are you going to sail and will you be able to get CNG in that area. Also be aware that resale will be that much more difficult and it will only get worse.
Old 07-04-2012
scurvy dog

delan is on a distinguished road

You don't mention where you're located, I'm in Miami and there's a company that carries a large tank in a pick up and refills me dockside for $20.
Much safer than LPG, it floats out of the cabin in the event of a leak, vs LPG, which is heavier than air and lays in the bilge waiting for a spark.

Mako 236
Shamrock 26
Schucker 44 Cutter
Dyer Dhow
Old 07-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Outside of the US the situation is only going to be more difficult. As far as I am aware there is nowhere on e.g. the eastern Australian seaboard where you can conveniently refill a CNG bottle.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

My main fear with LPG, and why I won't have it on my boat, is its heavier-than-air characteristic. A small leak=propane in the bilge= BOOM. This is less likely to happen with natural gas which dissipates UP. I still use alcohol but would change to nat.gas in a second if it were more available. With the nat. gas discoveries and fracking technology in the USA, this will happen pretty soon.
Old 07-04-2012

Wcoast sailor is on a distinguished road
compressed natural gass

My boat had CNG when I purchased it. I love it and have no worries about gas build up. Fortunately I am berthed in San Diego Harbor where there is the only source of CNG in the whole SD area. Our local busses use it but don't know if I can get the tank refilled at the bus refueling station. I think availability has to be the deciding factor as to what fuel to use to cook with.
Old 07-05-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I agree that CNG is not becoming more popular and I don't understand why as it is safer.
I have CNG and like it and have no plans on changing over to LPG. Yes, CNG is not nearly as easy to find, but I have only had to do it once in the 2 years I've had the boat.
Old 07-05-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
cng is quite a bit safer as compared to propane....it is getting more and more difficult to get refills....depending on where in the states you are....

I know you can get "exchanges" at Zanheisers in southern MD....that is the closest to me on the northern neck of VA....else it is several hundred miles by car, if they are open and still in business. Most will not mess with the small tanks we use on the boat....
Actually, there's a guy located in the Hanover Air Park just north of Richmond who can do an exchange for you. Also a guy down in Norfolk. We just did a refill about 6 weeks ago.
Old 07-05-2012
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

As long as you have access to a tank storage area on the boat that can be open to airflow at the bottom, Propane is just fine for a boat. It should be as it's already been installed on 10's of thousands of boats.

I've seen some misleading information in this thread. Propane contains double the BTU per volume than cng.

check here

As far as conversion of the current stove. The proper way is to rejet the burners. However there is another way to address this and that's at the regulator on the tank. Adjustable regulators can he had for around $30.00. Put it on your new propane tanks and dial the gas volume down to less than 1/2 lb (that's not a typo), and you'll be good to go.

I became familiar with pressure levels by accident. My regulator and hose was shot. I went to Ace Hardware for a replacement. The clerk sold me a new hose and regulator. When I connected the stove and lit it, I had flames coming out of the stove 3 feet high.

The bottom line was the clerk, not understanding propane regulators, sold me a 20 lb/ sq inch regulator, when my 28,000 BTU stove required a 1/2 lb regulator. Ace exchanged it no charge. Thankfully I learned the lesson with just singed eyebrows.

The stove conversion can work with the proper regulator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2012

gulftex is on a distinguished road

If you will look at c34 international web sight under projects,there is an adapter you can make and you can fill tanks at cng auto pumps
gulftex
c34 hull 13