SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Good Learning to Sail Books? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/88933-good-learning-sail-books.html)

Kalina-Lona 06-23-2012 03:58 AM

Good Learning to Sail Books?

Hello All,

I'm sure this has been asked before...but I can't find where. I'm looking to purchase a good book on the skills of sailing! Done the library thing and found a lot on Amazon, but still haven't found that right resource.

There must be one book that covers most of our needs...detailed, easy reading and enjoyable.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Ron

chef2sail 06-23-2012 04:21 AM

Re: Good Learning to Sail Books?

Learn to Sail- Annapolis Sailing School Guide

Sailing Fundementals-Gary Jobson

JoeDiver 06-23-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalina-Lona (Post 888028)
Hello All,

I'm sure this has been asked before...

You are correct Ron...and using the Search feature of this forum will yield plenty of results.

My preference is
and the accompanying 5 DVD set you can borrow from Netflix. (if you have Netflix)

DonScribner 06-23-2012 07:41 AM

Ron,

I find the aforementioned (always wanted to use that word) book a little technical for what it seems you are looking for. I suggest . . . Sailing for Dummies. No, really. If you're really just starting out, they really dumb down the subject matter to an understandable level so you aren't scrubbing your brain for the correct terminology. Get comfortable with the concepts, then move up to ABOS. Grab a book on sail trim too.

PennellFSA 06-23-2012 09:17 AM

Good Learning to Sail Books?

The American Sailing Association series is good for sailing fundamentals. I also recommend Chapmans for all thing about seamanship.

ShoalFinder 06-23-2012 09:42 AM

The Complete Sailor. I got mine for the Kindle. Much of it is exactly the same as the textbook I got when I took my sailing lessons (US Sailing - Basic Keelboat) but goes further on some topics. I think the explanations and diagrams in The Complete Sailor are better in many instances.

svHyLyte 06-23-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalina-Lona (Post 888028)
Hello All,

I'm sure this has been asked before...but I can't find where. I'm looking to purchase a good book on the skills of sailing! Done the library thing and found a lot on Amazon, but still haven't found that right resource.

There must be one book that covers most of our needs...detailed, easy reading and enjoyable.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Ron

Click on:

Slayer 06-23-2012 10:59 AM

Here is a great book. It gives you an overview of many aspects of sailing. I constantly use it as a referece or refresher.

Capt.aaron 06-23-2012 11:10 AM

I've seen Sailing for Dummies teach a lot of smart people the basics.

miatapaul 06-23-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayer (Post 888087)
Here is a great book. It gives you an overview of many aspects of sailing. I constantly use it as a referece or refresher.

Amazon.com: The Complete Sailor: Learning the Art of Sailing (9780070571310): David Seidman: Books

+1 very good book. sections are short so it makes good reading in bed, you can read a section or two and then fall asleep and dream about sailing. Each lesson is only a page or two, with lots of illustrations.