Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012

sunblock is on a distinguished road
Re: First Boat ..

Well, I did not feel like writing my life story, but my background is such that the issues you have brought up do not exist. Also, I do not want to live aboard, never mentioned that. I plan to work up to taking longer trips of a month or two, up and down the east coast, but that will be about it for the foreseeable future.

Sure issues will occur, but I can also take Dramamine or such for seasickness if needed ....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka.sailor View Post
Hiya sunblock, welcome to sailnet! I empathize with your situation as I'm there myself, although I've gone the distance as far as buying a boat is concerned. I'm a new sailor, having had some experience in dingy sailing, I went and bought a small pocket cruiser for a couple grand. A decent, sailable, ready to learn on boat can be found online for very few dollars. I also had my 20 footer on a small lake and had fun learning how things worked even though I spent most days just taking back and forth. There are quite a few small day/weekend cruisers that might fit your bill and lake without having to break the bank during the learning curve. Have fun learning!
Thanks, I am seeing so many affordable 20 footers that I think it would be the best way to go, I just do not want to be stuck sailing in circles, I think they would at least be fine for sailing in the sound, which we have a lot of here in NC. That way I could actually do some exploring as well.
Old 06-23-2012

muskoka.sailor is on a distinguished road

I'd have my boat in some bigger water if I was closer to a bigger lake....haha! The nice thing about boats smaller than 25 feet is that they usually sleep 3-4 people, have a stove/kitchenette of some sort, and most importantly, are easily trailerable, with either a swing keel or a draft keel. This can be important in your beginning boat as you might not want to invest in a potentially expensive seasonal slip right off the bat....
Old 06-24-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

To learn to sail on, I would really recommend a small dinghy. Forget about sleeping on it and bring a tent if you want to weekend on it a bit. This is particularly true if you will be tailoring it to lakes, where stepping and unstepping the rig can take a good bit of practice on even a 25' boat.

Something like a good used lightning, flying scot, ect. They will get you on the water, and teach you how to sail. The learning how to cruise will come.

But once you understand the basics, and learn how to really make a boat move under sails, stepping up to a bigger boat will be very easy. As was mentioned, almost all big boat racers either got their start on very small boats, or still sail small boats. As the boat gets bigger it becomes harder to feel what it is doing. For instance moving forward 6" on a laser will make a very noticeable difference, on a 45' yacht you probably couldn't tell. But the boat can tell a difference in forward and aft balance .
Old 06-25-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblock View Post

I found a great article at one point, I think it was great boats for around 30k or something along those lines, and I think that would be a better starting range for me. The article contained several models from the 70s 80s, all I can seem to recall now are the Irwin's and Gulfstars. The Allied mistress is one I recall for being very seaworthy, but the article had maybe ten or so in it. If I could locate that article I would have a better place to start.

Could it be this one??

Guide to Sailing and Cruising Stories - Offshore and Coastal Cruising Sailboats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2012

No, that not it, seemed it only had about ten boats and they were in the 35 ft range.

I was not planning to buy anything very soon, so I think I will take the bulk of your advice and just grab something small, 20 ft or less, and utilize it on the lake where I already have a place while I read up on the bigger boats. the Lasers seems a bit small, would be nice to at least get something open I would call it it, that a few adults could ride along on so I do not have to solo it all the time. already found a few on local CL for $1500 so that sounds like a good start, although, it will certainly make me want to skip the 25-30 range entirely and grab a good ~40ish CC in a couple of seasons.

Just need to make some sailing friends who would be willing to take me out on a real boat between now and then.
Old 06-25-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Knowing where you are located would help with recomendations, but here are a few suggestions...

Lightning
Flying Scot
Rhodes 19 - fixed keel so harder to tailor

There are littlerly hundreds of potential designs depending on what exacally you are looking for. But I would try and find something less than 600lbs, with a centerboard or dagger board, that can be sailed by two, carry 6.

I would stay away from any hiking dinghy, anything with trapezes, fixed keel, or keel step mast (if it has a cockpit). You should be able to get a reasonable condition boat for $4-5,000 get out on the water and start learning. Then I would feel a lot better about recommending you go to a 40' and skipping the 30.

But my best suggestion is to find out what boats your local yacht club races, and buy one of those. There will web plenty of cheap but good used sails around, a lot of people who know the boat well, and can help fix problems. And since boats are very regions specific, it really could be anything.