Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012

MattSplatt is on a distinguished road
Re: Darkside My A$$

I had a 15' Sol cat about ten years ago when I lived on the edge of Lake Munmorah, N. of Sydney. It was a rough old thing, basically a free boat (I paid $400 for the trailer). I'd take it out in the Southerlies and race the sailboarders. It was a riot! Scared the crap out of the sailboarders, too.

The lake was pretty shallow, so when I flipped her she'd stick the mast in the mud then the trampoline became a sail. She'd blow 180 degrees around then drag the rig up onto the surface and sail away on her side. Quite fast. You'd better be hanging on to the boat at that point or you'd be swimming ashore.

In deep water, some people tie a float to the top of the mast. You look like a real wuss, but you get to sail home. :-)

Go for it, Smacky. You'll have a blast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2012

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

I was watching some videos of Hobie Tandem Islands, not really a cat but more of a tri-hull style sailing kayak. These little things look like a lot of fun and the guy in this video claims he was going about 12 knots and I believe it.
I think it would be fun to have one of these just to play around with and they can be pedaled with the mirage drive too like the Hobie kayaks. There are awesome videos of these in action all over youtube. I also watched one where this guy had a Hobie Bravo (pretty quick little cat) and sailed out to an island near Pensacola, FL and landed on the beach and came back. The way I am, I think I could get a few thousand dollars of fun out of any one of these easy. Of course it can't replace or never will replace my Oday or any other full size sailboat.
Old 06-24-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Get ready to often become the counterweight, hauling the sail back up out of the water! Good luck with it.
Old 06-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
(PS - no monohulls - specifically a C27 - were harmed in the production of this post. I still sail the Smacktanic.)
Thank you! You made my day and almost made me spit out my morning coffee from laughter!
Old 06-24-2012
Seńor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
... But the sails were still up and sheeted in...
Hence the difficulty in getting the boat righted -- I too made that mistake (once) way back in my pre-acne days. Not having to move a couple of tons of water out of the way makes a HUGE difference
Old 06-24-2012

Dfok is on a distinguished road

Trapped out on a flying hull is one of the great thrills of sailing; sure the boat goes slower when you are way up but for me thats where the fun is.
One trick we used when the inevitable flip occured was a heavy duty trash bag. Let it fill with water, run the righting line to it (kind of like a sea anchor) and keep tightening it as you are leaning back. Kind of like having another body helping to right the beast.
Old 06-24-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It was great fun for the first five or ten minutes… then we flipped it… all the way over. Well I’m not very big and neither was the fool…. err… friend that I talked into going with me. No matter how far we hung off, we couldn’t right the ****** thing. It would come up a little way and then sink back down – those things are really stable when they’re upside down with a sail full of water. Then we drifted a bit closer to shore. Then the mast got stuck in the sand. Then two grinning locals came out in the rescue boat to rescue us.
And that is why the guys that sail these where there is any wind at all carry an extra life preserver...mounted at the masthead.

John
Old 06-24-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Hence the difficulty in getting the boat righted -- I too made that mistake (once) way back in my pre-acne days. Not having to move a couple of tons of water out of the way makes a HUGE difference
NOW you tell me! 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. Would you happen to know where they put the cocktail cabinet on one of those things? I looked everywhere.
Old 06-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It was great fun for the first five or ten minutes… then we flipped it… all the way over. Well I’m not very big and neither was the fool…. err… friend that I talked into going with me. No matter how far we hung off, we couldn’t right the ****** thing. It would come up a little way and then sink back down – those things are really stable when they’re upside down with a sail full of water. Then we drifted a bit closer to shore. Then the mast got stuck in the sand. Then two grinning locals came out in the rescue boat to rescue us.

With three of us hanging off and a helping pull from the rescue boat it finally righted . The rescuer and my friend scrambled aboard and I fell in – the water not the boat. But the sails were still up and sheeted in, so the boat started to sail away. At that point I gave up, waved them off and swam ashore only to be greeted by the giggling females of the group. Not the most embarrassed I’ve ever been but fairly close.

Strangely, I haven’t been tempted to try one since.

‘Hope you do better than I did.
I believe the correct technique for righting one is to do it from the bow or stern - pitchpole it in effect - they aren't as stable that way.

The water is too cold here to play with them - wetsuits required and I'd look like a pregnant penguin in one. They can work well on the big interior lakes with their sandy beaches though. I'd have one for sure if I was back in the Okanagan - you can pick up a decent one for well under 2 grand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-24-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I believe the correct technique for righting one is to do it from the bow or stern - pitchpole it in effect - they aren't as stable that way.
I've always heard that for big cats - but everything I've seen on beach cats is from the side like this vid...

Or, you can fail like this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-24-2012 at 02:01 PM.