Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Darkside My A$$

Okay - so here's the deal. I've been carefully following the America's Cup and the Volvo Ocean Race. I'm a huge VOR fan. But the AC has honed in on something....

...and that something is SPEED.

VOR is going crazy trying to figure out how to build a fast mono that won't break.

But then you have guys like Loick Peyron blowin' world records in the Jules Verne...on a multi...

So, I gotta get me some of that.

Some idiots spend tens of thousands of dollars on AI-impregnated-carbon-kevlar-titanium-kryptonite sails for their monohulls - assuming that will make them win. But they're still slow and never grab the pickle dish. And that's just pathetic.

That's why I bought this horribly crappy beach cat.

It's a Spirit 17 that needs so much work it's not even funny. But it'll splash.

The nice thing is - it's the first step in my long-term plan of humiliating Monsieur Peyron.

Just wait pal. You sail your little AC45 like a bat out of hell. But be watching over your shoulder for a '70's vintage, rainbow regaled, beach cat clawing up your butt. That'll be me, dude.

In the mean time, I'll keep you SiNciters informed of our progress. It's going to be slow and painful...just look at these wooden rudders...

So...anyone else tempted by the siren call of hauling A$$?

(PS - no monohulls - specifically a C27 - were harmed in the production of this post. I still sail the Smacktanic.)
messer999 and AncientTech like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-23-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2012

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Darkside My A$$

Now this new show might be worth watching . . . !
Old 06-23-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Looks like you have your work cut out for you on that one, but you will definitely get your speed fix out of it. I expect to see you fit a sprit and an A-kite on that baby!

Go big or go home, right?
Faster and larrytwo like this.
Hull#101
Old 06-23-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Looks like you have your work cut out for you on that one, but you will definitely get your speed fix out of it. I expect to see you fit a sprit and an A-kite on that baby!

Go big or go home, right?
Right.

I'm living by the mantra...WWLD.

And, yes, I'm thinking sprit.

Old 06-24-2012

dub420sailor is on a distinguished road

Cleaning up the hulls shouldn't be too bad. Those rudders look like a fun project! Put on an asym, trapeze, and you can probably go faster than this guy.

Old 06-24-2012
Last Man Standing

Bingo dub. Why don't more people get into this beach cat thing? It's stupid cheap - and appears to be a hell of a lot of fun! (I think, I haven't taken her into the surf yet.)

Grab a cat, slap on some Old Spice, and impress the chicks with your tight shorts, impressive bulge, and big air!

What could be better?

This is sailing baby!
jerryrlitton and peterchech like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-24-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2012
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road
Darkside My A$$

Get out of my head!

Dammit I may succumb to the siren call of a craptastic beachcat hindering my slow 30' mono gin palace/floating condo goals.
Old 06-24-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

unfortunately we don't get enough wind to do beach cats justice around here. They may be fast in the breeze, but in light wind they suck!
Hull#101
Old 06-24-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Bingo dub. Why don't more people get into this beach cat thing? It's stupid cheap - and appears to be a hell of a lot of fun! (I think, I haven't taken her into the surf yet.)

Grab a cat, slap on some Old Spice, and impress the chicks with your tight shorts, impressive bulge, and big air!

What could be better?

This is sailing baby!
Why don't more people get into this? A story of pride Coming before a fall.

So, on the way to Australia to do some “proper” sailing we stopped off for a week in this little beach resort. Not my idea of a vacation but there was some negotiating involved. And there, sitting on the beach, are four beach cats just like yours (or very similar) – Sign the liability waiver and off you go. We’re tough. We sail big boats. How hard can it be?

It was great fun for the first five or ten minutes… then we flipped it… all the way over. Well I’m not very big and neither was the fool…. err… friend that I talked into going with me. No matter how far we hung off, we couldn’t right the ****** thing. It would come up a little way and then sink back down – those things are really stable when they’re upside down with a sail full of water. Then we drifted a bit closer to shore. Then the mast got stuck in the sand. Then two grinning locals came out in the rescue boat to rescue us.

With three of us hanging off and a helping pull from the rescue boat it finally righted . The rescuer and my friend scrambled aboard and I fell in – the water not the boat. But the sails were still up and sheeted in, so the boat started to sail away. At that point I gave up, waved them off and swam ashore only to be greeted by the giggling females of the group. Not the most embarrassed I’ve ever been but fairly close.

Strangely, I haven’t been tempted to try one since.

‘Hope you do better than I did.
newportermike and justflie like this.
Old 06-24-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Do the big cats flip also ? Gun boat vs big racer ? Blue water? cat, twice the price cat? can not point well cat? fast french cat. Level ride in a cat that will not heel. The dog is helling over, slow as a snail upright, safe and tough mono ... vs the cat that can..? I am the new dude. Here is lots for you old salts to talk smack about I will read it and take it . Your turn. Regards LOU452

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.