Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By SPC
  • 3 Post By Faster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012

SPC is on a distinguished road
Finally bought a boat

My son and I had our first sustained pleasure sail yesterday out of Point Richmond into SF Bay. Wonderful day. Because I have learned so much from this forum and have asked many questions about sailing and about many different boats, I thought that another novice might benefit from my experience. I too began with no experience and a romantic view of sailing and sailboats.

To cut to the chase, I bought a reasonably priced Merit 25 that is trailer stored and crane launched from Brickyard Cove at Point Richmond. It was setup by the prior owner to sail single handed, including a roller furled jib.

The search started with a desire to be around the water. The rationalization to begin boat shopping included the facts that (1) I had a long commute, working from home a couple days each week and wanted to spend more days on site, and (2) housing is very expensive where my job is located. I thought I could buy a sailboat to sleep on a few nights a week and also enjoy on the weekends as I learned to sail. That's right, had never sailed. My boating experience was limited to some " power boating," fishing, and skiing on lakes in the midwest. I had spent much more time in canoes on rivers.

My search began with boats around 30 ft LOA but quickly increased as I thought that I needed more space than they offered. I also greatly appreciated the workmanship and materials of the heavy cruisers (e.g., Passport, Hans Christian, etc.). I even made an offer on a 38' pilothouse. (I wonder where I would be now if it had been accepted?) Anyway, job circumstances became less and less secure over time, and I became more and more reluctant but kept looking. Prospective boats became shorter and less expensive. Each time I was ready to make an offer, there would be more bad financial news for my employer and more cuts and cutbacks. There was clearly no reason to plan to stay for days each week on an "nice boat" as part of a long-range plan.

During this search phase I also completed Basic Keelboat and Basic Cruising at OCSC in Berkeley to determine whether I might actually enjoy sailing and to learn something about how it is done. I do recommend OCSC highly. If you decide to give sailing classes at OCSC a try, it will be challenging but you will learn much and be reasonably confident at the end. The instructors are good but much of the challenge comes from the 20-25 knot winds that are common as you come out of Berkeley Marina on summer afternoons. OCSC uses the J24 for basic instruction. I don't know much about boats, but I did find the J24 to be somewhat uncomfortable and I wanted a traditional cockpit to better enjoy the sailing experience on SF Bay. I also have no desire to compete in a fleet at this point in time.

So, I had a desire to sail and a small amount of training, but I no longer needed the extended stay dock condo sailboat. I also recognized that I did need to learn whether sailing was something that my family and I would enjoy into the foreseeable future. I began to look at smaller boats and to consider membership options. My decision to buy a boat of my own instead of becoming a member with access to boats had more to do with my personal quirks than rational processes. I do enjoy some maintenance, repair and upgrading; and I would be more reluctant to spend money each month on membership or charters than to spend the same amount or more to sail on my own boat. That's just me. I think that a membership with chartering or open use is very likely a smarter plan for a beginner.

I saw some very nice boats in the $20K and under 30' LOA or shorter group and got excellent feedback and direction from members here. Some of the boats that I saw were kept on trailers and the more I thought about it, the more I found that type of storage appealing. It is clearly more of a hassle than stepping on from the dock, but it has other attractions and I might need to move the boat with a someday job change.

In the end, I bought an inexpensive Merit 25 with roller furler and a trailer. It needed some maintenance and a modest amount of repair work, but it had always been trailer sailed and had been reinforced in two areas where some Merits have had problems. Well, the keel wobble is a problem. Reinforcing the front quarter hull is more of a choice I think. These mods had been preventative for this boat, not needed at the time they were done and perhaps never needed. It was setup to single hand and I thought that would be useful because my crew had even less experience and I might single hand on a regular basis. Even though the route to purchase has taken years, it was something of an impulse buy in the end. Go figure.

Yesterday was the first sail of a few hours on the boat and all went very well. We had had a shack-down sail the week before and discovered a few problems that shortened the sailing time. Over the next months or years the plan is to get on the water on a regular basis, to increase passengers, and to sail further distances and with stronger winds as we are comfortable doing so. No hurry. I think that we will know in a year or so whether sailing will be a sustained activity for us and, if so, what type of sailing we would probably most enjoy.

If I could offer a word of advice to the boating world, it would be to create a novice captain flag that means "Student Driver." Until a flag is available, I will continue to leave the bumpers hanging. I assume that it communicates about the same message.

Thanks for the help along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Finally bought a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC View Post

If I could offer a word of advice to the boating world, it would be to create a novice captain flag that means "Student Driver." Until a flag is available, I will continue to leave the bumpers hanging. I assume that it communicates about the same message.

That's a true statement! Although we equate sailing with the fenders down equivalent to walking around with your fly open.....

Anyhow, nice post. Glad things are working out!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-24-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

"Novice Boater" flag.

Brilliant!

Thanks for coming back and sharing your story. We usually never hear from the novices who head to the stratosphere of offshore boats. It's nice to hear that one can be happy with a boat better suited to their current situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-24-2012
Sail noob

Murph is on a distinguished road

Awesome.....Congrats! I'm in the same boat so to speak. Took some lessons, reading constantly and eyeballing used boats lustily every single day. I'm saving up for a 7-day blue water course but at $1900 if my wife finds out, well.....that's it for me. I'll surprise her with a boat some day but I'll need to sneak until then. At least I'll have a place to sleep if she boots me out! I hope the noob flag is around by the time I'm ready to buy. Congrats again & good luck!
Old 06-24-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC View Post

Either that or you are of a certain age.
Which reminds me of the joke; know how you can tell that the tour bus is the Rolling Stones? Its in the left lane going 55 with its left turn signal on.

What a beautiful place to sail. Hope you have good cold weather gear.
John
Old 06-24-2012

twenty1knots is on a distinguished road

Awesome post!

I took the opposite approach - bought the boat first then got my feet wet with sailing and maintenance

Add some pictures and/or a video when you have a chance.
1974 Pearson 30 hull#694

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.