Tropical storm Debby doing damage in St Petersburg (warning Boat carnage pics) - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road
Tropical storm Debby doing damage in St Petersburg (warning Boat carnage pics)

We had some boats break loose today and at high tide the surge destroyed a couple docks. The water came over the finger docks about 8 inches.

We spent the morning getting ready for the high tide and surge. A boat neighbor and his wife invited us to a pub on the corner for a drink while the tide came in

We had just come back and took a few pics of me being an idiot when I stood up I realized the boat across from us was listing..

This photo sequence happened in the span of about 1 minute 30 seconds

My wife ran and grabbed security while I just stood by and watched it go. There was absolutely nothing that could be done.

My wife was back in a minute and took these remaining pics. By the time security came a minute or two later it was long gone. It took a Pylon out with it when it sank which swung another boat out but the marina security staff was able to get it under control.

We had about 35 mph winds with gust into the 50s. We recently had a tornado warning and experienced 65 mph gusts.

Mother Nature is no joke.

The guy had just bought it, it was neglected for years. Unfortunately we ae directr
Old 06-24-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Tropical storm Debby doing damage in St Petersburg (warning Boat carnage pics)

It doesn't look rough or anything...what holed the boat?
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road
Re: Tropical storm Debby doing damage in St Petersburg (warning Boat carnage pics)

Pictures don't really do it justice. It was pretty rough. Like I said the boat was neglected. There was no shore power hooked up so Im guessing no bilge pump functioning. We have gotten nearly a foot of rain 11.2 inches.

Probably had some bottom growth on the cockpit drains. No drainage in the cockpit, boat fills, Boat sinks.
Old 06-25-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The guy had recently purchased his boat, has no insurance and everything he owned was on the boat.

We are getting wind gusts up to 65-70 mph and when this happened they were about 45-50 mph.

The boat pulled a pylon down with it and almost took out other boats. Currently, the boat just broke its last line and the winds and waves are pushing it under the dock towards our boat so we got off our boat and we are staying in the marina lounge.
Very sad....

However, I see a lot of stories that seem to share the same 3 factors in your first sentence; just purchased, everything owned aboard, no insurance. Why is this?

Up here, most marinas will not rent you a slip without proof of insurance.

Personally, if all my worldly possessions were aboard a vessel, I would be petrified of leaving the vessel alone for any stretch of time, especially with a predicted major storm coming. I would be on the boat, fighting tooth and nail to keep her protected from other boats, and from the scenario that happened... but that's me.

Irene was the first major storm that has hit New England since I have owned my boat. Between me and my neighbor, our boats were not unattended for more than 1 hour for the duration of the storm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 06-25-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

Damn, sucks to be that guy!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-25-2012

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road

I am in Carrabelle Fl in the same storm.The first thing that went down was NOAA radio,can always depend on the govt.Lost at least one boat possibly two.
Old 06-25-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

We saw three boats break loose yesterday at Anna Maria Island. Two were on the rocks and the other against the fishing pier. The one against the pier had already been holed from the pier and was beating against it. One was beating against the rocks and had lost its rudder, but wasn't holed at the time. Our neighbors are down there this morning and said that 3 boats had sunk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2012

Zed is on a distinguished road

I haven't even taken my first sailing class yet, much less own a boat, and that pic of the boat 3/4 sunk with the bow sticking up in one last hurrah, just make me sad...very sad.
Old 06-25-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

We are storm bound at Lakewood Ranch in Sarasota/Bradenton, chasing an increasing number of roof leaks that are inundating our Kitchen and Garage with the yacht sitting at our Club on the Manatee River with canvas up and no way to get there from here--roads flooded/blocked. (Fingers and toes crossed on that!) Our pool has come up 6" since 0400 and the River behind our house a good 8 feet since sunset last evening. I am seriously considering inflating the dinghy and mounting the outboard that we have stored in the garage just in case we need to bail out'a here. Last night/early this AM a tornado blew through. We couldn't see it but we sure as heck heard it and from my pool deck we can see several big old oaks in the woods between here and the River down. It's getting very exciting....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-25-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Up here, most marinas will not rent you a slip without proof of insurance.
Same here, but all they require is liability insurance. That won't protect you when your boat sinks all by itself.

My wife was wondering yesterday if we should pull our sailing dinghy out of the garage and try it in the back yard! Our yard was a lake and the side was a river. We sure got a lot of wind and rain this weekend.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.