Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: New to Sailing world

Woodenboat forum is great. But don't buy into the hype about wooden boats, they make fine daysailors but if you spend enough time in boats you will realize that few are watertight. In a big boat you will constantly be worrying about rot, and rightly so.

It is easy to buy into all the arguments about unstayed masts, junk rigs, wood hulls, schooner rigs, proas, scows, sharpies, etc but truth is that there are some very good reasons that most boats are built the way they are. And every large (>25') wooden boat I have ever looked at in this area has been overbuilt, slow, heavy, musty smelling, and needed lots of work.
Sageman likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2012

Sageman is on a distinguished road

From what I have seen in wooden boats so far are really "projects" and what I hear is they are always projects. And living aboard dealing with musty odors from leaks or rot...might not be conducive for entertaining and such. I do like the lines of the Hardin Sea Wolf, I found a couple of later glass models.
Anyone out there know or have experience with the Hardin Sea Wolf?
Old 06-27-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Wooden boats are for a certain kind of purist. I'm too interested in crossing oceans to get involved with the maint. but I have complete respect for wooden boat enthusiasts. My carpentry is embarassing. But if you think you have the personaliity for it, go for it. The boat is a classic and looks like they have taken good care of it. I'm sure the wooden boat forum guy's will love the idea.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-27-2012 at 08:01 PM.