Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brokesailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012

100fuegos is on a distinguished road
Delorme inreach

Anyone tried this device? Am thinking about buying this instead of an epirb. Would be great if they had an automated system that could send you weather forecast on demand for your position. Still a little expensive for sms considering crew calling/internet with inmarsat fbb is 40 cents per minute and 25 cents per megabyte.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
Re: Delorme inreach

You might check out a recent Practical Sailor blog entry about the Spot Connect and the Aegean:

SPOT Distress Alerts - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

I'm not sure if the Delorme uses the same emergency center setup. But the article makes me think these devices are not quite ready to replace EPIRBs yet.
Old 06-26-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

The article makes it clear that the DEVICE was not at fault in any way. But the protocol followed by the GEOS folks appears to have been grossly negligent, from a SAR point of view. If there are no "terms of use" or contract considerations, I would suspect a substantial wrongful death action is going to change their protocols if they haven't already.

Let's not forget, government SAR agencies have dropped the ball at times too.
Old 06-26-2012

bacampbe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The article makes it clear that the DEVICE was not at fault in any way. But the protocol followed by the GEOS folks appears to have been grossly negligent, from a SAR point of view.
[...]
Granted. My comment should have read that it looks like the service is not quite ready to replace EPIRBs.
Old 06-26-2012

100fuegos is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the link. I guess i am going to get both an epirb and the inreach device. I have seen an epirb message broadcast by Boston mrcc if remember correctly. It had the position but was not actually a mayday relay, just "ships in the area keep a sharp lookout". I believe the reason was that the epirb was not registered, i hope it would have been a different message had the epirb been registered.
Old 11-15-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

I just came back from crewing on a delivery from Beaufort, NC to St. Martin. I used my InReach to stay in frequent contact with wife and friends. It worked great and kept the wife from worrying to death. Emails have a 160 character limit. You can also send position/track updates to Facebook and friends. The tracking feature can be set to different intervals up to 4 hrs. The only negative I found was that the device is power hungry so make sure you bring enough batteries.
HDChopper likes this.
Old 04-08-2014
san juan 23

sailboatguy1975 is on a distinguished road

i was just looking into the new inreach se. it is rechargable via usb plug. so a simple cig lighter plug charger would take care of power consumption or even a small solar charger. from my research the only big problem ive read is that outgoing messages go right through incoming can take as long 30 minutes. but for 50 bucks a month unlimited in and out messages, i think we will be owning one. great for the money i think.
Old 04-08-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

My limited understanding is that it has an expensive monthly or yearly fee where an Epirb is activated and free.

I was going to get a spot but then I read about the cost. Not that it's that high, I just doubt I will ever use it, at least I hope not. I would rather have an Epirb just sitting there if I ever needed it without monthly fees.

My joke in my mind was floating in the middle of the pacific and I call for help and get an automated message

'We're sorry, you haven't paid your bill. Please go to spot dot com and renew your subscription, then you can access a variety of search and rescue services at the push of a button. If you would like to hear about our automated billing option, press one to be transferred to India"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2014
san juan 23

sailboatguy1975 is on a distinguished road

ya with the yearly plan its 50 bucks a month its a little salty, but with our kids and family we would hv unlimited txt when we are in the bahamas. and if your way off the beatin path its nice to be able to give family a peice of mind. we live cheaper than most, no air or hot water or fridge. so six hundred a year is only a couple extra weeks of work for the one thing my wife MUST have, lol, being able to contact the kids daily. if they only had weather for your location, im hoping thats next.
Old 04-14-2014

CaptainWabamun is on a distinguished road

Bought the InReach SE last year and used for the first time during the 2013 Baja Ha Ha. I think it is an excellent devise as addition to an EPIRB. Great way to keep family and friends updated on your travel. You can build a trip list and send text messages to facebook, email list, twitter, etc. You use in a broad-cast only mode where your progress is tracked and reported to the defined list, your facebook page etc or you can allow more access whereby folks can request your location through a google map interface, at a cost.

I can't comment on the US monthly charges but the Canadian plan has several different options from a basic plan to an unlimited contact plan. I found the plan for around $25 a month was adequate for the almost 2000 km we covered over the course of the Baja and some additional cruising over three weeks. More than adequate number of tracking points porvided with lower cost plans I subscribed to. Also found the Inreach SE would hold a charge for 4-5 days broadcasting location every 4 hours when not paired on bluetooth to any other devises such as a laptop. Cheers