SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

So dumb its funny ... or just sad?

5K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  AirborneSF 
#1 ·
#3 ·
...Common sense is often inversely proportional to beer consumption...so saving it for the dock can be a good thing. I have no idea if alchohol was involved though..so I'll just say that I'm glad they got fished out.

It could simply be that the heat..and " Irrational Exhuberance" may have got the better of them.

#4 ·
The U.S. Coast Guard said one person had jumped out of the boat to go swimming, but had been pushed away from the boat by the wind and waves. Another person aboard the sailboat jumped in to help pull the swimmer back to the boat but also got pulled away. The third person who jumped into the water also was unsuccessful and was pulled away by the waves.
*snicker*

Good thing the two people who stayed on the boat had the sense to call for help instead of jumping in like lemmings.

As a side note, I intend to leave my beer on the shore, to save room for common sense.

Reactions: wingNwing
#6 ·
Flabbergasting!
They made a bad sailing movie with a plot like this where the entire crew ended up in the water in the ocean and no way to get back on board.
Hard to believe that this happened. They are lucky the last 2 people could figure out how to use the VHF radio; the three 'swimmers' would have been screwed otherwise.
I'll bet big boat bucks that the owner of this boat will throw out a floating line and/or ring the next time he wants to go for a dip.

Un-friggingbelievable.

#7 ·
The odd thing was that I saw a lot of that going on yesterday. There was a C&C that was hove to with people in the water well inside Thomas Point. I also saw a Rhodes Reliant doing the same thing on the rhumb line between Thomas Point and AH1, (as in powerboat on autopilot alley). You just have to wonder sometimes.

Jeff

Reactions: wingNwing
#11 ·
By pure coincidence, when we crossed the Gulf Stream and checked into the Bahamas, we arrived at Allen's Cay at slack tide. The weather was gorgeous and I was sticky-icky-sweaty and I jumped into the (crystal-clear turquoise) water for a swim, while Dan stayed aboard to tidy up the boat. My swim was uneventful. An hour later, Dan took his turn, and found the tidal current so strong (already!) that he cut his swim short. There but for fortune, we too could have been an article in the Annapolis Capital ...

#15 ·
I've long wondered why something so apparently UNcommon is called common sense. :)

#16 ·
Ok, so we were anchored at the bottom of Penang Island, Malaysia a few weeks ago...time to check and clean the prop, the current running a bit, had my fins and snorkel on, hopped in the water, floated down to the back of the boat, just about to go under when a jelly fish wraps itself around my midsection, holy cow did that sting, ever see a man walk on water against a 2 knot tide? The warm vinegar bath helped, but I had blisters and it has itched like hell for almost a month. I don't know about jumping in the water any more...

#21 ·
Wow. I'm reading that with overfishing, the jellyfish population is running amok because the predators are gone. We wear full rashguard swim skins but it really does cut down on the sense of spontaneity; if we were in a secluded anchorage I'd prefer to swim au naturel.

#26 ·
When I bought my first boat and I was still eligible for the Youth Darwin Awards I did exactly that - three of us went over the side in a calm with the sails set. No problems but when I mentioned it to an experienced sailor friend at work, he told me about a 70 footer found in the Med - empty, food on the table etc.
They figured people had gone swimming, the last person on board dove in and there was no way to get back on board due to the freeboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.