Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Small Sailing World

Over the years I have sailed with great crew helping with deliveries. Last year I sailed with a young man from Martha's Vineyard to Port Clyde Maine. He is from France but currently living in NYC. This year I sailed with a different young man from Bermuda to VA. He hails from Alabama. Both are in their twenties; one just graduated from college, and I am fifty. But we had gotten along famously on boat and off shore despite the age difference.

Coincidently, the two ended up on the same boat passing through Boston on a delivery. So I get a call from them Thursday morning saying they want to tie up for the night and meet for a drink. I wasn't feeling well and had things to do on Friday so I agreed to meet for a couple of drinks (famous last words). I arranged a mooring for them at Boston Harbor Sailing Club, just off of Rowes Warf. Took the train into Boston to meet them, as my girlfriend was going to show up later with the car.

Got on the launch and asked to be brought out to mooring 7, and the launch driver got a big grin on his face and said "oh that boat." So we pull up to a brand new Jeanneau 54 with five bikini clad 20 somethings aboard and my two friends. Oh boy. I was greeted with friendly hails by all, and the girls seemed to have heard about me from the boys (for better or worse) and shouted out in greeting "El Jefe" is here, a name that they thought up for me. (My name is Jeff so others have called me that before).

Got on the boat, hugs from all then the lads started serving drinks while some of the ladies prepared food. All of the girls were nice, educated and fun loving young ladies. Several had just returned from a trip visiting the Middle East.

After a few drinks and some food, the ladies put on their dancing/night out clothes and we hit the town....Hard. After meeting my girlfriend and having a few more drinks at the Barking Crab we decided to move on. As we walked through Boston that hot night, noone could resist playing in the fountain on the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston and within minutes, everyone was pretty wet.

Well to make a long story short, after having been thrown out of a couple of bars and a precarious dingy ride back to the boat, my girlfriend and I ended up sleeping on board, and I ended up rescheduling the few appointments I had the next day. A great night.

I guess the point of this story is to brag about haninging out on a beautiful yacht with a bunch of bikini clad twenty year olds, but more so to celebrate the great friendships we make through sailing the adventures that it brings us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Re: Small Sailing World

I love the story. And I've had some unusual coincidences sailing.
Old 06-28-2012

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Small Sailing World

It's all about attitude and personality . . . then age doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.