Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree112Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Fond Fairwell

Continuous learning is serious. I can point to any number of things on my boat and tell you why they are as they are and who I learned it from.

I think there are a number of people who can point to things on their boat and tell you why they are as they are and that they learned those things from me (some even remember who I learned it from!).

On delivery we end up spending a lot of time sharing stories and lessons learned and comparing responses.

I can tell you who I want with me on the boat when a jib halyard chafes through in the middle of the night. Some of them are young bucks (Hi Nick!) and some are older guys like me with bad backs and woobly knees. Some of us old guys can push through and beat the bucks to the foredeck! *grin* Those are serious sailors.

More seriously (pun intended) I've had lovely discussions about everything from car position and head twist to halyard tension and the relative benefit of traveler and mainsheet on light air days. Those are serious sailors.

Same for the guy that may not be much of a sail trimmer but by golly he can rebuild a diesel with two bobby pins and a roll of duct tape. Sometimes it's the difference between "I need" and "what do we have?" The serious sailors are the ones that get back to the dock and understand what short cuts have to come out to fix something correctly for the long haul.

Let's see, who else? The guy with a kid in a wheelchair who loads up the family on a small Hunter and goes sailing a couple times a month with the whole family. The couple that lug a sailing dinghy in from many miles away and sail the creek every single weekend. The lady that single-hands her 34 out for the weekend every weekend in season. The guy with an older Pearson working really hard to get out of the back of the fleet. The couple with a Jeanneau that spends lots of evenings watching sunsets from their boat and heads out for evening jaunts and have their sails up before the end of the fairway. Those who share what they know and listen to others. The industry guys that come home from a day working on boat and spend a couple of hours helping people for free. The sometimes grumpy delivery skipper that shares his knowledge and points people toward characteristics rather than brands. The CLOD who gets up early every morning to work the radio net for cruising sailors. The couple that sweep the projects into boxes so they can go sailing together. They guy that keeps track of people posting about sailing nearby to meet up and share. The single Dad whose 6-year-old daughter steers while he trims.

The ones more interested in being "right" than contributing? Not so much.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 07-07-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typos and dumbos
Old 07-07-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

rename this thread as "fight club for serious sailors" LOL
smackdaddy likes this.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Wellll... lessee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Well, as SVA Dave put it, Sailing is an attitude.
Sailing in all kinds of weather is SERIOUS. Sailing only when it's not too hot, not to cold, at least 9 knots of wind, but not more than 14. Sunny but some clouds... NOT SERIOUS. (and yes, I know some who fit this category)
You know another. Won't pleasure sail unless it's between, oh, about 15 and 30C, say... 7-15 kts. Any colder or hotter than that: Too uncomfortable. Any less wind and it's not sailing, it's drifting. Any more wind and our short-handed crew is overpowered, even with a #3 and a reef.

When there's a race on, and esp. if we have crew, those numbers can be stretched. (We once raced in 30 kts, gusting to 35. It was only supposed to be 25, gusting to 30.) If we ever get to cruising, I guess we'll have to sail when we have to sail, almost regardless of weather, won't we?

Then there's been my vacation time the last week... *sigh* Every. Flippin'. Day, save last Saturday: 35C or higher, sky-high humidity, little air--and what air there's been has been fluky, and Random Severe Storms--except when they weren't random.

I guess we're not serious sailors. We didn't even consider it. Well... okay, we considered it a couple times. Then looked at each other and decided living to see another day was better.

Quote:
Sitting at the dock, working on the boat w/ your sailing buddy, then kicking back enjoying a cold beverage of your choice just b/c you like hanging out at the dock can be serious as long as you'd rather be actually sailing but choose not to that day.
I just enjoy working on the boat. I enjoy improving her. TBH: I think I enjoy working on her more than pleasure sailing. Between racing and working on her...? Hmmm... About a wash, I guess... mainly because my labours always produce positive results, my racing, not so much

Quote:
Knowing how to tie 8 different knots (and 3 different bends) depending on the load, knowing where the articulated 5/8" widget is in your tool box and how to use it is serious.
Do I know eight knots and three different bends...? Hmmm...
Bowline, clove hitch, half-hitch, reef, round turn and two half-hitches, stopper, buntline hitch... damn, only seven . Used to know the rolling hitch, but forgot it. (Gonna go re-learn that one right now, then keep practicing it until it's burned in.) Bends... Fisherman's Bend, Anchor Bend, Zepplin Bend... wossname bend... er... sheet bend (picks up a piece of rope...), yeah, sheet bend!

Hey, I can splice double-braid and I'll next be splicing three-strand. I've had Real Sailors complement my whipping work and I recently learned how to reeve. I even have a ditty bag. Do I get Real Sailor Points for those?

Don't Real Sailors also have to know how to read a chart; know at least a couple kinds of navigation that don't involve a GPS; know how to read the wind, clouds and water; and know how to set their sails by their shape, the wind on their face and the feel of the helm? Doesn't a Real Sailor needs to know how to recover a MOB, treat a hypothermia victim and back down on an anchor to set it?

Reading SailNet, I learned a Real Sailor also has to know how to mount a grill on the rail...

Seriously: I don't do enough sailing in enough different conditions, or spend enough time on any sailboat, to count myself a "real sailor." I'm more a "weekend warrior," and not even consistently that. But here's the difference between me and perhaps some other not-real-sailors: I have respect for those who I believe are real sailors, and do not lightly challenge them.

I guess I was brought up in a different time and place. I was taught to respect my betters. In sailing, I figure that's just about any sailor

Jim
Old 07-07-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
rename this thread as "fight club for serious sailors" LOL
No kidding. At least here the bar is set reeeeaaaaallllllly low.

If this is really the standard, there are far, far, far more "serious sailors" around here than these handful of overly-pious dudes seem to think...including yours truly.

Here - how's this for prescient (6 years ago)? From the most hallowed thread in all of forumdum: Fight Club for Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq View Post
Here is the Scope of this Thread:

1. If your boat sits in the slip for more than 28 days a month. You don't sail.
2. If you are simply driving a floating RV...You don't sail.
3. If you think a woman can't sail her 27 foot O'Day out of her slip singlehanded...You don't Sail.
4. If you reef your sail in 15 knots of wind because you don't like to heel....You don't sail.
5. If you don't go out when it's blowin 25 cause it's too windy...You don't sail.
6. If you don't like the taste of Rum...You don't sail.

You are a sailor if:

1. You are somewhere in the world on your boat. (Cruising...Racing...Drinking...It Doesn't matter).
2. You watch the NOAA Website and plan your appointments around the High Pressure System pushing out that nasty low
3. You like to see your rail wet.
4. Your golf clubs are dusty.
5. You stink of Rum.
6. You are leaving as soon as possible to sail somewhere in the world.
7. You smell of salt water at Sunday Dinner.
8. Your slip neighbor says..."I thought you left the marina because I have not seen your boat in a while.".
9. You watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High with your kid and you think..."All I need is 32 feet of waterline and 18 knots Dude."
10. If you can't find someone to sail...You just go out on your own.
Hail to the original "serious sailor".

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-07-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Hey, I can splice double-braid and I'll next be splicing three-strand.
If you can already splice double-braid you won't believe how easy three-strand is. I've taught people to do it over a beer at a tiki bar. You won't even have time to order a second beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I don't do enough sailing in enough different conditions, or spend enough time on any sailboat, to count myself a "real sailor." I'm more a "weekend warrior," and not even consistently that.
What's wrong with being a weekend warrior? I know a lot of serious sailors that are weekend warriors, at least by my own very subjective and qualitative definition.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-08-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
If you can already splice double-braid you won't believe how easy three-strand is. I've taught people to do it over a beer at a tiki bar. You won't even have time to order a second beer.
Yup. I watched Brion Toss' video on it yesterday afternoon. Pretty simple. Going to stop by the local WM, on the way to the boat today (we're going sailing!) and pick up a Bainbridge stainless hollow splicing fid to make it easy.

The immediate project is the draw/carry rope for my ditty bag. (The Admiral sewed me up a real nice ditty bag out of Sunbrella. I put the grommets in the mouth of it and am doing the rope work.) The length is too short to splice both ends of double-braid to a bronze shackle, so I'm using three-strand.

Then I think I'll redo the anchor rodes for the little stinkboat's anchors. I didn't know splicing three-strand at the time, so I used anchor bends. (Stitched and whipped the the bitter ends to the working end to make certain they'd stay put.) I'll redo them with a 3-strand crown. More elegant

Got a couple 3-strand spare dock lines on Abracadabra lacking eye splices--but I suspect that rope is too set in its ways, as it were, to splice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
What's wrong with being a weekend warrior? I know a lot of serious sailors that are weekend warriors, at least by my own very subjective and qualitative definition.
Nothing wrong with it in my view. It's the way we roll . That's how we enjoy our boat.

That was all by way of poking a bit of fun at the concept of A Real Sailor, but, at the same time, giving real sailors their due. I guess what I was trying to say was I think what constitutes a "real sailor" cannot be defined. I think you simply recognize one when you see him or her. I have great respect for real sailors, and envy them for their lives and where their heads are at.

As an aside: All last night, as we were watching whatever we were watching, I sat there and tied, re-tied, and re-tied, and re-tied again, alternately, constrictors and rolling hitches. A couple more nights of that and I think they'll be burned in . Those are two useful knots I forgot how to do, and could've used once-or-twice.

Now it's time to Go Sailing!

Jim
Old 07-08-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

and they say women are drama queens LOL Ladies, y'all watching this?
Tempest and BentSailor like this.

My boat is for sale.
Old 07-08-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I've found that most forums have their political rooms that otherwise courteous, mature members use to behave like two-year olds, and check all their decency at the link. Now I have carefully chosen the forums I subscribe to and participate in, and totally avoid the political rooms. Ironically, the two political forums I belong to (dedicated political forums) the people seem to behave much better. Maybe they're the political "pros" who better understand the need for civility, when knowingly discussing hot topics in the first place? When in a sailing forum, I stick to sailing.

Let me join the chorus of those asking you to reconsider your exit. Maybe just curtail certain rooms?
I would go nowhere near a political forum on this or any other web-site. I'm not going to change anyone's mind and in general, I like people and would like to keep it that way.
Old 07-08-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

hmmm,what was this thread about?I've forgotten
Old 07-08-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Let's keep it simple: If you own, maintain, and sail a boat of any size - you're a "serious sailor". You may suck at it - but you're serious - purely because of the work, money, and time you have to put into it.

So, unless these guys have some other weird yacht-clubby definition they haven't come out with, there are plenty of "serious sailors" around here. Meaning, these guys are just a bit misguided in their statements.

Now, being a real sailor is another conversation. But that's not pertinent here.
mstern and wingNwing like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Closed Thread