Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree112Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Re: Fond Fairwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
We do seem to be illustrating Chef's point about social vs sailing. Hopefully there is room for both.
At the risk of provoking those who believe that anybody who owns a sailboat, even if she's just permanently parked in their slip or driveway, or believes that somebody who's simply vaguely aware of what a sailboat is ("That's one of those funny-looking boats with sheets hung all over it, right?") qualifies the individual as a "sailor": Yeah: Much of this thread is probably rather demonstrating his point, I imagine.

Personally: I spend time on sailing-related sites primarily to learn things about sailing and sailboats, and to share what useful things about sailing and sailboats I can. Stupidity and BS can hold my attention for only so long. The pointless blathering of dilettantes holds no interest for me whatsoever.

I cannot speak for c2s or any other the others who, if they haven't departed SN entirely, certainly spend far less time here than they used to, but I do know, from comments made to me by some of them, that, yes: Some of what's found in this thread provides an excellent example of why they've chosen to absent themselves.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-12-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
At the risk of provoking those who believe that anybody who owns a sailboat, even if she's just permanently parked in their slip or driveway, or believes that somebody who's simply vaguely aware of what a sailboat is ("That's one of those funny-looking boats with sheets hung all over it, right?") qualifies the individual as a "sailor": Yeah: Much of this thread is probably rather demonstrating his point, I imagine.

Personally: I spend time on sailing-related sites primarily to learn things about sailing and sailboats, and to share what useful things about sailing and sailboats I can. Stupidity and BS can hold my attention for only so long. The pointless blathering of dilettantes holds no interest for me whatsoever.

I cannot speak for c2s or any other the others who, if they haven't departed SN entirely, certainly spend far less time here than they used to, but I do know, from comments made to me by some of them, that, yes: Some of what's found in this thread provides an excellent example of why they've chosen to absent themselves.

Jim
dil·et·tante
   [dil-i-tahnt, dil-i-tahnt, -tahn-tey, -tan-tee] noun, plural dil·et·tantes, dil·et·tan·ti  [-tahn-tee] adjective
noun
1. a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, especially in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler.
2. a lover of an art or science, especially of a fine art.
Synonyms
1. amateur.

Now, seeing as most of us here are amateur sailors thus: 'dilettantes', I don't get your point.

I would be very concerned about the qualities of a 'professional' sailor who relies on Sailnet - or other comparable site - for their sailing information.

Speaking for myself: I participate on this site, as I sail: for fun. In both activities I learn a lot, but, at the end of the day, neither of them are chores.

You must be a real joy on a romantic, starlit cruise:

Your SO: "Darling, just look at all of those stars glistening in the heavens like the tears of angels."

You: "Enough of that dilettante blather. Have you finished working out the declination and sidereal hour angle of Zubenelgenubi yet?"

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 07-12-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

What cracks me up is that Semi seems to always read all that dilettante blather, then get grumpy that he couldn't help himself....again.....for the 1000th time.

Semi, do you realize you've been grumpy and threatening to pull a Slater for like 2 years now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-13-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
dil·et·tante
   [dil-i-tahnt, dil-i-tahnt, -tahn-tey, -tan-tee] noun, plural dil·et·tantes, dil·et·tan·ti  [-tahn-tee] adjective
noun
1. a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, especially in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler.
Now, seeing as most of us here are amateur sailors thus: 'dilettantes', I don't get your point.
See the emphasized bit. That was the context in which I am using the word.

Quote:
I would be very concerned about the qualities of a 'professional' sailor who relies on Sailnet - or other comparable site - for their sailing information.
I suppose that may be a function of to whom, on SN or any other sailing-related site, you look for guidance, and your ability to separate the wheat from the chaff. Personally, I've learned a lot, both here and on (counting...) four other sailing sites and two or three powerboating or general boating sites.

Quote:
Speaking for myself: I participate on this site, as I sail: for fun.
As do I. But it's a recreational pastime I take somewhat seriously. Out boat, her crew, the other boats on the water: They are all my responsibility.

Quote:
In both activities I learn a lot, but, at the end of the day, neither of them are chores.
You never swab the decks, change her aux power's oil and stuff like that?

Quote:
You must be a real joy on a romantic, starlit cruise:

Your SO: "Darling, just look at all of those stars glistening in the heavens like the tears of angels."

You: "Enough of that dilettante blather. Have you finished working out the declination and sidereal hour angle of Zubenelgenubi yet?"

Jim
Old 07-14-2012

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Ah! I'd forgotten. We do seem to be illustrating Chef's point about social vs sailing. Hopefully there is room for both.
Oh, there is absolutely room for both and I find those who can't find room for both a tad bit suspect in their so called sailing seriousness.

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-19-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
You're kidding right? So much wasted time on the obvious. I'm sick of those posters with hands in pocket, spiking eachother. Period.
Old 07-20-2012

sail123 is on a distinguished road

One leaves another joins. Circle of life. I post at about five boards. Not good to put all your eggs in one basket, even if you own the basket. I like to post at several and let the prevailing winds decide where to post.

Last edited by sail123; 07-20-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Closed Thread