Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree112Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Fond Fairwell

Dave (Chef),

Sorry to see you come to this decision. I am in a similar position with SN and post here now with a very guarded approach, especially after the last go round with the admins wanting to remove the edit feature over a few bad apples..

We won that battle but if certain rules are not enforced, and certain individuals are allowed to continue their ways, then the "edit ban" will, I believe, still eventually happen.

There are a number of individuals here who make this place considerably less tolerable and they are allowed to continue with their abuse by skirting very closely the forum rules and walking the very fine line as, what I consider and we often refer to on SBO as, "professional trolls"...

The PT's know just what to say to get under your skin and cause a ruffle but they also know exactly how close they can push the rules without getting banned. They are experts in forum mud slinging and drive many newbies away and even some seasoned vets with thousands of posts. Sad really....

These types of trouble makers are the worst offenders in my personal opinion. We simply do not tolerate them on SBO but it is a very differnt forums than SN. We do this to keep the place friendly and welcoming to all. That is our MAIN GOAL. We do not tolerate "PT's or "professional trolls" it is sad they are so tolerated here despite some individuals racking up numerous complaints...

SN is a different place, but I still like it, though less so, with the good guys like you leaving and the serial trouble makers digging their heels deeper and calling it home..

I stick around because I hope to see things change, and I like and trust all the MODS. They just do things differently here than what I see as overall healthy for the forum..

I don't visit OT as I am here only for sailing related topics. I barely have enough time to burn on on-topic let alone the muck and mire of OT stuff. I don't visit it at SBO either unless I need to step in to moderate..

The SN on topic has actually been slightly less vicious and slightly better enforced.. That's a + in my book...

As always members can always use the report post icon when folks get out of line and SN will become a better place over the long haul.

For now I am toughing it out because I have seen the ups and downs and the mods and members here are generally excellent folks. I try not to let a few bad apples spoil the Cider..
HPLou, Melrna, SimonV and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-26-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The SN on topic has actually been slightly less vicious.. That's a + in my book...
Bingo. And the traffic metrics, new members numbers, and online participation completely bear out the fact that SN has grown and is growing precisely because of that over the past couple of years.

It's all good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-26-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-26-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

That's my kind of place. And SN has much more of that kind of attitude now than it had in the past. That's a good thing.
actually smack, the problem here is that folks are reading 30-40 year old material and getting a lot of poor advice along the same lines. There's wheat here, and when it's good it's really good, but there's certainly more chaff. The attitude toward racing on SN is mind numbing and mystifying. Many of the CA folks have (and do) both raced and cruised extensively. Then there are the boat builders and designers that post regularly. I'd contend they hang out on CA because there's a lot less knee jerk BS , and maybe most importantly, less geographic myopia than both SN and SA.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 06-26-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I am sorry to see you decide to stop posting.
I am sorrier that you felt you had to start a thread to announce your decision and passive-aggressively insult the rest of the members of this forum and the moderators.
If you feel that the tone has changed and you are unhappy with it, why not start a thread discussing it, looking for suggestions on how to change it?
THAT would be positive.
THIS is a slap in the face.
Really? You're taking this personally? Wow.
Old 06-26-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

If you don't have an OT forum, you will have off-topic digressions in every on-topic thread. This is a lesson from the early days of Usenet.

Personally, I try to stay out of the OT forum so I can continue with my functional delusion that everyone here are intelligent, rational, likeable people.

All this discussion about the War of 1812 thread is tempting me, though.

..must ..not ..look...
Old 06-26-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Chef,

As I said to you in my PM, myself and my fellow moderators I would truly hate to see you leave SailNet. Beyond enjoying knowing you and seeing you at events, I consider you to be a knowlegable member who is generous with passing along the lessons of sailing and life.

I hope that you will at least lurk for a while and see whether anything really changes for the worse around here, and want you know that the door is always open and that you will always be welcome as a contributer.

Whatever you decide is of course your decision, but if you leave, I personally will miss your wit and wisdom, your contribution around here, and your smiling face.

Be well,
Jeff
DRFerron, Faster, Melrna and 9 others like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-26-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

I haven't been here that long Chef but what advice I've seen coming from you has been sound. Don't let the DBA's get you down.....
Old 06-26-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Really? You're taking this personally? Wow.
I guess I should have written "This is a slap in the face to the rest of us."

Old 06-26-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
The attitude toward racing on SN is mind numbing and mystifying. Many of the CA folks have (and do) both raced and cruised extensively. Then there are the boat builders and designers that post regularly. I'd contend they hang out on CA because there's a lot less knee jerk BS , and maybe most importantly, less geographic myopia than both SN and SA.
Generally I agree. But I have to admit, in the beginning I didn't get the racing aspect of things. It seemed too hardcore and angst-filled when compared to my desire to relax at the helm with a Dark-and-Stormy, and a bikini-clad babe grinding on the winches.

However, after doing the offshore races over the past year or two - I'm completely sold. It's the most fun and challenging thing I've ever done, and there's no doubt it improves sailing skills better and faster than anything else.

So, that attitude is just ignorance. They don't understand what they're missing - just like I didn't at the time.

I'm still not that into the idea of inshore match racing (where most of the yelling and angst usually occurs) - but I haven't really done much of that yet. So I could change my mind there too.

Sailing is sailing as far as I'm concerned. And I'm not sure I can get enough of it in whatever form, on whatever boat. And this is SAILnet after all.

Offshore racing rocks...especially when we win. And cruising around with the booze and babes rocks too...especially when we score. Heh-heh.
JimMcGee and MedSailor like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-26-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

What's this other forum called CA that you speak of?

Oh, and Chef, don't let the winch handle hit you on the way out! I kid, I kid....

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Closed Thread