Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree112Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: Fond Fairwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
What's this other forum called CA that you speak of?

Oh, and Chef, don't let the winch handle hit you on the way out! I kid, I kid....
Cruising Anarchy, a sub-forum on Sailing Anarchy.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 06-26-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Dave,

Really sorry you feel you need to do this, but I've reached the burn out point on other forums myself, so I can relate to the need to move on. Sometimes its hard to just let go of things, when it seems to get personal as your interaction with at least one sailnetter I'm aware of has.

I'd like to thank you here in public for the advice and information you're provided me over the years. I truly appreciate the effort you've put forth to help out your fellow sailors, myself included.

Its sad to loose a resource such as yourself, but I have no doubt someone will rise to the occasion and fill the void as other voices have come to replace valued members like Camraderie, Guiletta and others. Hopefully, we'll be able to hang on to guys like Jeff H, MaineSail, and Mr Perry and some of the rising stars, who like you, have gone beyond the call to share with the sailing community.

I hope with some time and distance you'll gradually forget the crap that drove you away and remember the folks you've helped and those that will find SN in the future that could benefit from your knowledgable input and will return to the forums in the future. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that would welcome you with open arms.

Thanks again for all you've done for the SN community. Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Bill
s/v Palmetto Moon
Old 06-26-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to see you go Chef--hopefully this will be more of a leave of absence than a departure.

I have to say I've found the sailing-oriented SN forums to be quite civil these days, yet not boring. A nice place to be.

As for the OT area, never been there, have no interest.

Regards!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 06-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Along with Jeff and Fast 've sent Chef a message and I'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say none of us are happy to see him go.

OTOH and somewhat OffTopic, I wonder why more is not posted re racing. I know an awful lot of you race on a regular basis including fellow mods Jeff H and Fast yet very little is written up. Lets get a "what about the racers" thread up and running and perhaps get to the bottom of it.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Dave (Chef),

Sorry to see you come to this decision. I am in a similar position with SN and post here now with a very guarded approach, especially after the last go round with the admins wanting to remove the edit feature over a few bad apples..

We won that battle but if certain rules are not enforced, and certain individuals are allowed to continue their ways, then the "edit ban" will, I believe, still eventually happen.

There are a number of individuals here who make this place considerably less tolerable and they are allowed to continue with their abuse by skirting very closely the forum rules and walking the very fine line as, what I consider and we often refer to on SBO as, "professional trolls"...

The PT's know just what to say to get under your skin and cause a ruffle but they also know exactly how close they can push the rules without getting banned. They are experts in forum mud slinging and drive many newbies away and even some seasoned vets with thousands of posts. Sad really....

These types of trouble makers are the worst offenders in my personal opinion. We simply do not tolerate them on SBO but it is a very differnt forums than SN. We do this to keep the place friendly and welcoming to all. That is our MAIN GOAL. We do not tolerate "PT's or "professional trolls" it is sad they are so tolerated here despite some individuals racking up numerous complaints...

SN is a different place, but I still like it, though less so, with the good guys like you leaving and the serial trouble makers digging their heels deeper and calling it home..

I stick around because I hope to see things change, and I like and trust all the MODS. They just do things differently here than what I see as overall healthy for the forum..

I don't visit OT as I am here only for sailing related topics. I barely have enough time to burn on on-topic let alone the muck and mire of OT stuff. I don't visit it at SBO either unless I need to step in to moderate..

The SN on topic has actually been slightly less vicious and slightly better enforced.. That's a + in my book...

As always members can always use the report post icon when folks get out of line and SN will become a better place over the long haul.

For now I am toughing it out because I have seen the ups and downs and the mods and members here are generally excellent folks. I try not to let a few bad apples spoil the Cider..
Couple of things in response to Maine.

The edit business is done with. It is not coming back. Since we put it to bed back then there has been zero discussion as to re introducing it. It was in many ways a good thing but as was discovered when you first complained not fully thought out and the idea was ultimately rejected.

Professional Trolls .... I have been a member here only since 2006 and a Mod for the past three or four years I guess. I have seen members and even moderators come and go. Some went because they had disagreements with other members yes and the Mods have had to take to task various members for their overly aggressive or otherwise unacceptable attitudes yet one thing is certain .... the level of complaints we receive in regard to so called Professional Trolls is minimal in the extreme. Sure it is not all peace love happiness man but even when discussing on topic people have disagreements and sometimes those disagreements get a bit loud.

Personally I reckon SailNet On Topic is a hell of a lot quieter and peaceful today than it was few years back ... be that for good or bad. I'll ignore Off Topic in this chat other than to say I agree with OVO in that having an OffT forum does tend to keep the OnT forums free of OffT waffle.

So, here's a wee challenge for anyone willing to take it up. Make a list of , say, five Professional Trolls who you think inhabit the On Topic threads. Send me that list by PM. Its not something I am willing to go public with but I'd be very interested to get the feedback and I assure you I will check out the postings of each and every member on your lists.

Cheers all

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-26-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Professional Trolls ....
Ang on a mo! You mean some guys get paid for it? WTH???? No one told me that!!!
tdw, BentSailor and AncientTech like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-26-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Wow!

I gotta say that this saddens me to see another valued member leave... but that's progress, I guess.... Cam', 'Dog, and Cardiacpaul (RIP), are all no longer posting here for various reasons. All of the reasons are valid. I recently left a group myself, because I felt that the only moderator was using it to promote a political agenda.

I have to say that SailNet helped infect me with the sailing bug. I believe that I posted enough about the various boats that I looked at, when I was shopping, to make some members wish that it had been a terminal illness:... I continue to post, in the hope of paying some of it back.

I feel for the mods. They get paid squat, for a time consuming, and thankless job. Don't be too critical of them.

Anyway, if it is only a member or two that are getting under your skin, please use the IGNORE MEMBER feature, rather than cast us all aside. I won't share those that are on my list, but I will share that the number is greater than one. I really appreciate not having to see their [cough, bs, cough] posts.

I hope that you reconsider, but will respect that you gotta do what's right for you.
Old 06-26-2012

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road

WTH dude! We just met IRL cuz of this place, you cant go anywhere. Look at all the people that are asking you to stay. That alone should speak volumes.
Old 06-26-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Old 06-26-2012
Sail noob

Murph is on a distinguished road

Here's my nickle: I'm new here and might not know a doosh from a donut but I've learned a whole lot about sailing(and sailors) in a very short time on this site.

As usual, there are all sorts here: the calm, the abrasive, the obnoxious, the flat-out a-hole, the decent, the kind and the crazy.....just like the real world but without the ugly

I've seen no leanings one way or the other and felt no pressure except the occasional post to please stop posting!

What I have seen is a whole lot of decent folks who take the time to offer insight, advice and assistance to just about anyone who asks(and sometimes to those who don't)

I love sailing and all things related because it transcends all the petty and trivial things that so easily divide and conquer the human spirit.

In short, ditch the OT forum altogether. Let those jerk offs find another site to spew their toxin.

Whew! That was more like a dime.....keep the change
Closed Thread