Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree112Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
Re: Fond Fairwell

dave if you leave they win and are probably smirking right now,as MOST of the posts indicate you are well thought of and respected here,its your forum too!!!
Old 06-27-2012
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road

Glad to see the thread and all the responses are still posted. Also glad you felt like expressing your views.

Sailnet, like most internet forums, has changed dramatically over the years, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, but it is always changing. There is still a TON of great information, teaching, sharing of experiences and techniques that goes on on this an other forums, but I can certainly understand how you can get soured by a bad experience. Thanks for your input over the years.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 06-27-2012
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road

By the way....

One indication of the gradual change in SailNet is obvious when you just look at the "Join Date" in the ID section. Most are within the last 3 years. Don't know what that means for us real old-timers....
smackdaddy likes this.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 06-27-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by padean View Post
By the way....

One indication of the gradual change in SailNet is obvious when you just look at the "Join Date" in the ID section. Most are within the last 3 years. Don't know what that means for us real old-timers....
It means newbs like being around you salts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-28-2012

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Sorry to see you go man. I've enjoyed your posts.

I guess we all go through phases with forums. Once upon a time I found myself staying up in the wee hours of the night scrolling through the pages of this forum, laughing, excited and all the time thinking and learning more and more about sailing.

Now I have been wandering around the net a bit, I really don't post here a great deal anymore, I come and read but basically I struggle to find threads that grab me, or if I do, then there seems to just be a shortage of good real discussion, the place feels a bit one dimensional.

If you have a boat/sailing question and want a answer then CF is still the place to go. Other than that I have found my time is generally better spent on the boat

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

Last edited by chall03; 06-28-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2012

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

Chef2 and T37Chef, sorry to see you guys go. Clarissa and I really enjoyed meeting up with everyone and now...
Hope to meet up with you on the water in the future.

Jim
Old 07-05-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Like a change in tide, I've seen attitudes wane to and frough since the inception of Sailnet. While we all began as newbies my thoughts are that many who join the forum can barely claim membership into the boater's world as desktop sailors or at best dock rats. What puzzles me most is the level of "aggressive righteousness" many take or feel is their right as a member of the forum. One thing that I've observed is how the forum has meandered from it's original path; perhaps everything should be reset to "0". Sailnet has become not unlike CF in many ways with piranhas lurking in the shadows ready to tear flesh from many an unsuspecting poster. I too admit guilt in this arena, but then who here cannot call the kettle black.
Old 07-05-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
Like a change in tide, I've seen attitudes wane to and frough since the inception of Sailnet. While we all began as newbies my thoughts are that many who join the forum can barely claim membership into the boater's world as desktop sailors or at best dock rats. What puzzles me most is the level of "aggressive righteousness" many take or feel is their right as a member of the forum. One thing that I've observed is how the forum has meandered from it's original path; perhaps everything should be reset to "0". Sailnet has become not unlike CF in many ways with piranhas lurking in the shadows ready to tear flesh from many an unsuspecting poster. I too admit guilt in this arena, but then who here cannot call the kettle black.
So what would a complete reset look like? What was the original path?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-05-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
I guess we all go through phases with forums. Once upon a time I found myself staying up in the wee hours of the night scrolling through the pages of this forum, laughing, excited and all the time thinking and learning more and more about sailing.

Now I have been wandering around the net a bit, I really don't post here a great deal anymore, I come and read but basically I struggle to find threads that grab me, or if I do, then there seems to just be a shortage of good real discussion, the place feels a bit one dimensional.
^^^ This--in spades.

I now find myself posting and answering the same questions in at least three separate forums. I know some people read all three, and I hate the fact that those people will see the same questions/answers/discussions up to three times, but that's what it's come to. For example: A recent question I asked, about crimpers, crimp terminals and wire, garnered useful, and different, responses at each of the three sites where I posted essentially the same question(s).

I really cannot say which of the three forums, this one and two others, I find the most useful, because the answer is that I find each of them useful. But I can say this: No one of them, nor all of them together, are as enjoyable or useful as SN used to be, before the multi-way split occurred. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

tdw: I realize I still owe you an answer on this very subject. I apologize for not having produced it yet. I think part of the reason is I don't know as I care to relive old, futile battles. Part of it is undoubtedly imperfect memories. Part of it is I don't know what good the effort would produce. What's done is done. Nobody's mind will be changed. Humpty Dumpty cannot be put back together again.

Jim
Old 07-05-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Fair winds, Dave & Donna. Very sorry to see you go. Maybe I'm too busy fixing up the boat and adding things, to notice changes in the forum. I see good people leave every year, not exactly sure why. I too used to stay up late reading, laughing and learning. What happened?

Regards,
Brad
Closed Thread