Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking the bull by the horns

By "3 or 4 people comfortably" do you mean in the cockpit or cruising overnight? The second is not really reasonable in your size range. At the upper end of your size range, trailering and rigging/unrigging is going to a major effort. It's going to quickly take all the fun out of the activity. I would seriously consider finding a slip or mooring that you can keep the boat on to maximize your time on the water. Or stay toward the lower end of your size range.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2012

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough

While you are looking for that perfect boat in your price range; you can crew on other boats and get a feel for sailing.
Are you near NOLA?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 06-27-2012

randomforumname is on a distinguished road

Dont try to trailer your 20-25 foot boat to the lake/house/bay (youre either Lake Ponchatrain, Vermillion Bay or Calcasieu lake likely) every time you use it - stepping a mast is labor intensive. A boat that size should stay at the lake/bay with the mast up. If you must take it home each time, buy a boat 10-15 feet long - you can get those masts up/down a lot easier. Swing keels and shoal draft will be great for Vermillion and Calcasieu where the water is shallow. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Hey, keeping your 25 footer in your yard has it's advantages. And once you get good at stepping your mast it will take 30 min.'s Ya, it's a pain, but you will get good at it and you will be launching and hauling pretty quick/. You'll be sweating and cussing, but you'll be proud of your self. There are trailer sailor advocates out there, get with them on the in's and out's.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2012

dprudden is on a distinguished road

Capt Aaron is right-I can step/tune my Catalina 22 in 30 minutes with the help of one other person.....
Old 06-29-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I found trailer sailing to be disappointing; too many fine sailing days went by with my boat safely on the trailer. I loved my Catalina 18, but stepping the mast and rigging/launching the boat for anything less than a weekend was not realistic (for me). Your mileage will likely vary.

I do agree that there is no substitute for owning your own boat! If your lake allows overnight anchoring, you could set up on Saturday and break it down on Sunday.

I towed my C18 with a Ford Ranger 3.0 liter 4wd; it only got ugly once and I mangaged to get through it. I had just gotten the gear to do strap launching when I sold it.

I looked at the C22 but it would require a change of tow vehicle (an F-150 or similar). The biggest issue with a trailer is stopping it, don't exceed the tow rating for the vehicle.

I recommend the Catalinas because there are so many to choose from and parts are always available. Some people dislike them for the same reason.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 06-29-2012

Richard61 is on a distinguished road

Shop, shop, shop. then shop somemore. At one of those stops she will speak to you. Then inspect every square inch. Also while stepping and ustepping are possible look for a launch site where you can Dry slip on your trailer with the mast up. Its cheaper then a slip and a lot faster then stepping the mast and tuning the rigging every sail. Most importantly stay safe and have fun Richard PS I trailer sail the PY26 that is sitting in my driveway
Old 06-29-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

You can easily find a perfectly sailable boat in a slip at that length for $2500. That leaves you an entire year of slip fees within your budget (more if you're mooring).

Then you just stumble down to the water, pee, throw the can in someone else's cockpit, and go sail. No setup - no fuss. Easy peasy.

Whatever you do, figure out the easiest and quickest way to actually get the sails up. That's what it's all about.
Capt.aaron likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-29-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2012

GreenHorn is on a distinguished road

Let me first start off by apologizing that I did not respond with comments or answers to questions sooner, but have been pretty tied up recently and this is the first time I've gotten back to the forums. Thanks for all the advice thus far. I will do my best to make any clarifications or ask additional questions where necessary.

As I continue my quest to find the right boat, one problem I am encountering is that I do not live anywhere near the majority of the boats I am interested in (of course there are always exceptions) and pictures and descriptions can be deceiving. While the boat inspection tip trips thread is very helpful for what to look for in person, I am hoping to get a list of questions I should be asking boat owners over the phone and/or what areas I should get pictures of before making the 200+ mile drive to view the boat in person. Also, up to this point I planned on getting the boat surveyed, but do you think that it is stupid to spend $600 to survey a $3500 boat when I could devote that money to a better/higher quality boat?

Point of clarification: when I said fit 3-4 people comfortably, I mean only for day sailing. At this point, I have no interest in sleeping on this boat. I am also open minded about a Dry Slip mast up but will definitely have to budget for it, which leaves me with less for the actual boat. Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 07-04-2012

GreenHorn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
While you are looking for that perfect boat in your price range; you can crew on other boats and get a feel for sailing.
Are you near NOLA?
I am in Lafayette (2 Hours from NOLA). I will be primarily sailing in Vermillion Bay, but will gladly make the trip to NOLA if need be.