Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy Sailing in New York City? Possible?

Port Washington on Long Island is a quick (30-40 minute) ride on the LIRR. Yacht clubs there have small boat sailing. At least one (Manhasset Bay) has a fleet of Ideal 18s that are shared. Next harbor out is where I am in Glen Cove. Its a longer (1 hour+) ride on the LIRR. My club (Hempstead Harbour Club) permits small boats to be stored on trailers or kept on moorings. We have an active Laser fleet. Sea Cliff YC has fleet of Ideal 18s that are shared. Next harbor out is Oyster Bay with 2 clubs - Sagamore and Sewanaka. Sagamore is right near the LIRR train station. Not sure what small boats they have there. Also near the station is a commercial marina (Oyster Bay Marine Center) and the Waterfront Center WFC - The WaterFront Center, Oyster Bay, NY - Long Island Sound: Sailing, Boating, Marine Education, Field Trips, Recreation, Kayaking, Summer Programs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Can't imagine it'd be much fun trying to avoid the traffic in NY Harbor or dealing with the current, which can top 4 knots just N. of The Battery. Getting in and out of the city will be the challenge but no so much on weekends. There seems to be a lot of sailing activity along the north side of western LI Sound pretty close to the city. That's also probably the easiest escape route. Toward NJ you'll hit shore traffic on weekends and beach traffic on the LIE going out to LI. If you want to go a little farther, up on the Hudson, Poughkeepsie has two yacht clubs with active one design sailing.
Old 06-26-2012

murphbmurph is on a distinguished road

I took instruction with NYC Community Sailing and then sailed with them for a couple of summers. They keep their 27' Solings at the Lincoln Harbour Marina, on the Jersey side of the Hudson, just south of the Lincoln Tunnel. Weekend days they match up experienced skippers with newbies, 3-4 to a boat, and go out for a few hours.
I now have a Precision 185 I keep at an inland lake. It would be very difficult to manage something as small as my 18 1/2' boat on the Hudson - the currents, tides, cruise ships, barges, tugs, sightseeing boats make it very busy. I don't think the Honda 2 HP I have would be a match for those currents.
Old 06-27-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

Check the navesink river in Monmouth county NJ. Several sailing clubs, ditto raritan bay.
Lou
Old 06-27-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Jamaica Bay is big, shallow, and breezey. Find a club, marina, or private dock there, and use public transportation. If you fancy a train ride to Port Jeff I'll take you out on my boat.
Old 06-29-2012

kawest is on a distinguished road

I sailed a Wayfarer/CL16 when I lived in Ontario but I'm now sailing on Halifax Harbour. I wouldn't want to be out in the harbour in a dinghy for all the reasons previously mentioned. I imagine New York harbor would be even more challenging.

My solution was to buy a Colgate 26 daysailer. As noted above by petercech they are the boats used by the Offshore Sailing School in Jersey City and you can join and rent their boats. They are a beautiful sailing boat almost dinghy like in their handling but with the stability and safety that a keel and outboard offer. It has certainly expanded my sailing horizons and would be an opportunity for you to try something different.
Old 06-29-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

You say you're looking for dinghy sailing, but don't say what dinghy. Thistle? 470? 420? Lightning? 505? Opti? Vanguard 15? Sabot? Different clubs in the NY area have different fleets. You may need to travel a bit to get to where they have boats like yours. In Manhattan, currents tend to make dinghy sailing difficult. They don't call it Hell Gate for nothing. Buttermilk channel may have a hefty chop churning much of the time. It's not like Toronto.
Old 07-04-2012

QueenElvis is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Brooklyn, assuming you make it. There's GREAT sailing out of Gateway Marina on Flatbush Avenue and you can beach-launch your dinghy from there. And a bus stops right at the door. Unfortunately for you, there's not much of a dinghy community there (but maybe I'll pull out my dink and sail with you).

You're always welcome to come aboard my Cape Dory 330 for a ride, and there's plenty of other guys and a couple of gals with sailboats, so you'd have lots of instant company.

I've been out on the water on the most gorgeous of sailing days, and found myself to be alone - even on a weekend! It never ceases to amaze me that the water is so neglected as a past-time in NYC. The sailing is great, the water is clean and you can't beat the views. What's better than sailing past the Statue of Liberty? Or past the Cylcones field on Friday evening when the fireworks go off?

If you make it down for a field trip before you commit to the move, get in touch. I'll be happy to show you around.

Malcolm
Big Orange Marine
Your Boat's Best Move
boat transportation for the Hudson Valley,
the northeast and the entire US