Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012

torontoCL14 is on a distinguished road
Dinghy Sailing in New York City? Possible?

Hi all, I'm a dinghy sailor located in Toronto and I have recently been presented with the opportunity to move to NYC. The first thing I started asking about as I contemplated this move was 'where would I sail my (or a club) dinghy?'

First, I found it odd that there doesn't seem to be much smaller boat sailing down here. I called a few places to see if they had anywhere for me to keep my dinghy and hand launch but came up with nothing.

Does anyone actually know of any clubs in the NYC area/Jersey/long island (ie. reachable via transit/taxi) where I could keep a dinghy? Or, like a community club would I could at least take a dinghy out? I'd most likely be moving to Brooklyn area.

Any help would be great as this is really the only thing keeping me from making this move.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Dinghy Sailing in New York City? Possible?

IN NYC the only thing going on in big numbers is the J24s at Manhattan Sailing Club

I would say the smaller stuff would be on the NJ side were there would be land to dry sail and store it

There is a bunch of stuff going on in the sheepshead bay area of Brooklyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2012

Beaverkill is on a distinguished road

Dont know about Dingy racing but here are a few places to research

North Jersey Yacht Racing Assoc North Jersey Yacht Racing Association (NJYRA)

Long Island Sound Yacht Racing Home - Yacht Racing Association of Long Island Sound

Barnegat Bay Yacht Racing Assoc Barnegat Bay Yacht Racing Association (BBYRA)- Main Index and Quick Reference
Old 06-26-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

The best fleet is the V15 group at Larchmont - youthful,big fleet, and very good sailors. About 1/2 come in from the city

Last edited by WDS123; 06-26-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Manhattan Sailing Club isn't dinghies, it is J/24's. You might find some dinghy racing in Sheepshead Bay but more likely in the western end of LI Sound or down in NJ in Barnegat Bay, both accessible by public transit although not fast trips, probably close to an hour.

Try the City Island YCs, then the ones east of them in Westchester. Ask the Oyster Bay (north shore of Long Island) YCs if any of them has a program. The local USSA associations may actually be the fastest way to locate what's around, the USSA can give you their direct contact information.

I know the Douglaston Yacht Club/Squadron does dinghy racing, but I think that's just in Olympuses for kids.
Old 06-26-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

If you have $1500/year, you can join "offshore" sailing school (Jersey City NJ) and rent their keelboats for daysailing mornings or afternoons. Best deal around IMHO, far cheaper than owning and their boats, Colgate 26's, are some of the best sailing daysailors around.

There are some sunfish and optimists in liberty state park (Jersey City NJ), not sure how that works but I'm pretty sure you can't keep your own dinghy there.

There are various kayaking clubs etc on the hudson river, but be aware that the wind usually sucks on the Hudson anywhere north of the southern tip of manhattan. There is an outrigger canoe club in manhattan as well, on pier 36 I THINK, they too have keelboats moored there but be aware that New Jersey (and jersey city) is infinitely cheaper than New York, and closer to Manhattan than Brooklyn is travel-wise. Nice club house as well, showers/restaurant/etc, and there are plenty of decent beaches within daysailing range.

In fact, if you will be working in Manhattan, you should really look into Jersey City as its downtown is somewhat comparable to the scene in Brooklyn and it is much nicer, with better access to sailing/beaches/etc (I am biased of course), plus you can own a car and actually use it (decent parking and not so much traffic as brooklyn) so that's nice.

If you want to travel a bit (you will have to take two trains instead of one) the Raritan yacht club has plenty of dinghies (serious ones too) and some great sailors too. It's also a nice cruising ground and has a pretty good racing scene without all the ferries/tourboats/etc interrupting you all the time.

Last edited by peterchech; 06-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-26-2012

flo617 is on a distinguished road

I thought I saw some dinghies on the promenade one day, somewhere around the world trade center area
Old 06-26-2012

fodao is on a distinguished road

Manhattan Sailing Club offers dinghy sailing (Laser and Sunfish) on Liberty State Park in NJ (Manhattan Sailing Club). If you are a serious racer and want to have your own boat, I recommend looking into Long Island Sound. Cedar Point YC is a popular one for dinghy sailors (Cedar Point YC Home Page and News).
Old 06-26-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Is your boat a CL 14'?

With all the commercial traffic around Manhattan and the currents in the Hudson (2-3 knots) and East Rivers (3-5 knots) dinghy sailing is a questionable proposition. Even the NYC Community Sailing http://www.sailny.org/cms/ group uses 27' Soling's with an outboard on the transom.
However, you will find places to sail a dinghy in LI Sound, on Raritan Bay and up the Hudson. Nyack Boat Club has several fleets of racers, several are dinghies. Nyack Boat Club
Most of these places will take at least an hour to get to though.

Everybody has one:

Old 06-26-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I taught sailing in NY harbor the past last two summers, I never saw a dinghy on the hudson, when I've been out. That's not to say they aren't there. I've just never seen em .
Without an engine if the wind dies, and it does, you are drifting with the current. ( 2-3 knots + ) as Caleb said, Or paddling.

I have seen paddelboarders out there, so anything is possible.

If you dunk a laser in front of a tug and barge, or one of the many ferries it could get ugly.

I would look to some of the spots others have mentioned.