Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2001

LarryBrink is on a distinguished road
Cutter Rigs Vs. Sloop Rigs

I am considering modifying my MacGregor 26X
from a fractional sloop rig into a cutter rig to increase sail area and add power. I will be mounting the new headstay 3'' above the other one and attaching the other end to a 6'' bowsprit. This will give me an "I" measurement of around 26'' and a "J" of 16''. The original headstay has an "I" of 24'' and a "J" of 9'' 8". My question is that does the angle of both headstays have to be the same? To match the angle I will have to cut 3'' off of the bowsprit giving me a "J" of around 13''. Does this angle make any sort of difference in the performance of the sail? The 6'' bowsprit would give me a potentially large genoa. 300+ square feet.

Any opinions or comments?

Larry,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

you will probably have to add running backstays to support the mast where the new load is present.
eric
Old 03-06-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr. Brink
If you plan to add a cutter rig and sail you will most likely have to structurally reinforce the fore deck area to accommodate the stay. This will probably be major work and could compromise the usage of the vee berth. In my most humble opinion this boat is not worth the time, headache or money to make such a modification. Unload that piece of Tupperware and find a better boat that comes from the factory with the right amount of sail area and ballast.
Old 03-06-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

wow that is a really a rude remark.
i think the mcgregor has its market and its uses and i don''t believe the purpose of this forum is to put people or boats down but to share knowledge and friendship.
incidently what type of tupperware do you own?
eric
Old 03-07-2001

GeorgeHughes is on a distinguished road

As far as having the two stays at the same angle that is not required. Having had a cutter rig with not much clearance between the stays it can be a real hassel to get the topsail through. One problem you might create is a lee helm as the center of effort will move forward a fair amount. Adding an asymetrical spinaker might be more practical
George Hughes
Old 03-07-2001

LarryBrink is on a distinguished road

An asymetrical spinnaker would be great downwind. But what do I do about upwind performance?
Old 03-07-2001

davejean is on a distinguished road

Greetings,with an asymetrical spinnaker you actualy will not be able to use it going "directly"downwind. They work great in light airs from a broad reach to nearly a close reach. Good luck,Dave
Old 03-08-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep your powder dry...please. Sometimes the truth hurts, but be honest with yourself, the Mac 26 is a small lake "econo" (read cheaply made) sailboat. Perhaps my comment was PI, get over it!
Old 03-09-2001

grampi2000 is on a distinguished road

Larry,I am planning to do the same thing on a grampian26(Canadian built boat)and was asking my self the same questions you do.Thanks to george for the answer on the stays angle,one problem solved.Besides this important element of the modification and like george said it,I am aware of creating a leehelm problem by moving forward the center of effort.Creating leehelm is not desired at all for safety reasons and would generate some drag that could counteract the increased power of the added sail surface.I see two options to rebalance the boat;Move aft the base of the mast and the chainplates with structural reinforcement under the base of the mast.True cutters have their mast set well aft,abaft 40 percent of the waterline lenght.This I guess,to compensate the fact that their foretriangle is larger than the mainsail.This brings me to the second option of a larger mainsail(full battened?) instead of moving the mast.I think it could be a viable one and would generate some more power that you are looking for.Good luck with your project!You can take a look at the way I am planning to install my bowsprit on my web site at www.geocities.com/grampi2000/grampian26.html

grampi2000
Old 03-11-2001

tundrated is on a distinguished road

i dont think the mac is, 1 heavy enough, 2 has the right type of keel to make a cutter rig effective, i would say save your $