Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012

tanksalot is on a distinguished road
Re: Buy bigger or keep "old faithful"?

Cruiser2B:
We know people on the dock (powerboaters) who ALWAYS want a bigger boat. They're never really totally satisfied, but they DO enjoy their boat. It's just that there's always better that they wished they had.

There was a 20/20 show years ago called "the mystery of happiness" with John Stossel, and it studied what caused people to be happy, and what didn't. There was one scene that showed an infant in a crib, and when a mobile with two dice was put over the crib, the infant appeared happier. That was increased to 4 dice, then 8 etc., and each time the number of dice increased, the infant appeared to be happier. Then they reduced the number of dice to 2, and the infant was significantly unhappy. But, from the adult perspective, what was the problem? Fewer dice to look at?

To me it illustrated the natural quest for "more", and the fruitlessness (and naturalness) of that pursuit.

I don't have any doubt that the Bristol 34 is a very nice boat, with more amenities and higher resale value, as well as more stability and seaworthiness. The question in my mind is whether going after it is worth the "price" of time and stress that the acquistion would involve.

Maybe I can negotiate a price for the boat "delivered", with new bottom paint, cushions re-installed and the boat in the water in sail-away condition.

Might be a reasonable approach.

Thanks for the feedback
Tanksalot
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you don't buy the boat that your wife believes she will like and end up buying another down the road, it may not live up to her original expectations. No sense taking that chance. Buy now. Nice boat too.

I have more rationalizations, if you need them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-27-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Get the Bristol. Wife happy..you happy. I'm surprised you know that A-4 and still like it.
Old 06-28-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Can you get rid of the E27 or will you be a 2-boat owner until it sells? That was a major issue for me when I decided to move up. Took me almost 2 years to sell the previous boat.

And yes, the new 34 will seem huge initially, but you will quickly adapt. And some things are actually easier on a larger boat. My wife loves the greater feeling of control we have in our 33 when the wind picks up.
Old 06-28-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksalot View Post
Cruiser2B:
We know people on the dock (powerboaters) who ALWAYS want a bigger boat. I don't have any doubt that the Bristol 34 is a very nice boat, with more amenities and higher resale value, as well as more stability and seaworthiness. The question in my mind is whether going after it is worth the "price" of time and stress that the acquistion would involve.
That's why I had said "been down that road with powerboats". I don't think powerboaters are the only ones suffering from that affliction or you wouldn't be looking to step up

As far as resale value, it's a boat, there is no resale value. You never get out of a boat what you've put into it.

Don't get me wrong, a Bristol 34 is a very nice boat & if you can afford without batting an eyelid, go for it. But if you gotta keep asking yourself if it's worth it, in your heart you already know the answer.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 06-28-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

I'm facing the same situation. I've had a C&C 30 for 10 years and love the boat. It does everything I want it to do. However, my wife doesn't like it-- no bimini, no dodger, no shower or hot water, cockpit's too small, "I hate that toilet", etc, etc, etc.
I'll have to borrow to get a bigger, newer, "nicer" boat, but I really want her to be happy and enjoy spending time on the boat, too. I will probably end up with a new boat and I'm just trying to find one that makes us both happy. If you find the boat you both like, get it.
By the way, I'm with you on the A4- great little engine that just keeps going. Still has compression at factory specs. How many 35 year old diesels haven't been rebuilt at least once, and if you need parts, can you get them? I can buy a brand new block for the A4- new casting, not remanufactured.
Old 06-28-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

My god man! Your wife is giving the go ahead and you aren't doing it??? Does not compute...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-29-2012

tanksalot is on a distinguished road

Landlocked66c -

You're right on the money. What kind of a person would post, on a sailing forum no less, that "my wife likes this classic, sturdy, much nicer boat, I can afford it, but....what should I do?".

I woke up this morning with this long, hard thing going from my head to my ass.....a spine!!! Felt good! Called the seller, made offer (which their board will review....it's a non-profit); sent good faith deposit check. I have a 13 month-old survey that says it's worth about $35K.

Since the survey is 13 months old I will need a new survey (says my insurance/finance company). Any suggestions on getting financing on a 41 year old boat?

Thanks for the feedback!
Tanksalot
Jeff_H and LandLocked66c like this.
Old 06-29-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

Nice, way to go!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus

Tags