Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012

Polypterus is on a distinguished road
Question Need some advice

Hi all. I posted last a couple years back about buying a boat which I did buy. Unfortunately with a couple deaths in the family and other things going on. I haven't done anything with her other then have a lot of work done. In any case I'm now moving to Russia (Everyone in my immediate family speaks Russian but me ) so I'll have to get the boat to the black sea somehow. I'm wondering if itís crazy for me to sail her the entire way myself with the help of one or two experienced crew or would it be better just to put her on a ship and have her transported. I kind of like the adventure of sailing her but then I may end up hating it. On the other hand if you never try anything ... well .... you never have any stories to tell. My questions are:

1) Is the whole thing (sailing that far, not moving to Russia ) just a bad idea and if so why?

2) How long would it take? I'm not looking for exact figures just a general idea.

3) What would it cost to hire a crew to help me with this? Again just a general idea.

BTW the boat is a Swan 37. It will pretty much be in tip top shape before I go, and I won't be taking my wife and kids on the trip. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh forgot to say I'm in California.

Last edited by Polypterus; 06-27-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Need some advice

BTDT. Shoot me an e-mail: office@auspiciousworks.com . I'll share my experience moving my own boat across the Atlantic.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Poly,

Would the plan be to sail thought the panama canal then across to Europe? Or all the way around S America? Either way this is a major undertaking, and unless you are just driving for speed could take months. Realistically I would guess a year or more unless you are really just sailing non-stop.

Figure the trip would be... Around 8,000 miles strait line, though much of it would be against the wind and current. Figure an average boat speed of 100miles/day and you are still looking at almost 3 months non-stop sailing to complete this trip. Even pushing you would likely be looking at almost six months to bring it over on its own hull. Certainly possible, but a large time sink, and frankly not a lot of fun to just push that hard on a delivery.

You also have to assume a significant amount of monetary costs for the boat in terms of spares, fuel, broken bits, new sails, ect... And most likely you would have to hire crew to make this type of trip. Even the deep water sailors I know wouldn't be willing to make this type of commitment for free. Figure $100/day/person and you are going to need at least two others to drive the boat 24/7. Without running serious numbers I would guess it will cost at least $20,000 to make this trip and that is assuming nothing goes wrong. Though most of this is in crew cost, so if you can get people to sail for free, you could save here.

You could look into a yacht transport company by water, but I haven't idea what the costs are for these. It could be rediculious.

Personally I would consider selling your boat in the states, and buying something else where you wind up. It would tug at my hearstrings, but it could be financially unjustified regardless of how it's moved.
Old 06-27-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Poly,

Would the plan be to sail thought the panama canal then across to Europe? Or all the way around S America? Either way this is a major undertaking, and unless you are just driving for speed could take months. Realistically I would guess a year or more unless you are really just sailing non-stop.
Or you could just sail across the north Pacific. I suppose the deciding question is where in Russia does the OP plan to call home?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

My family has a house in the Ukrain on the Nipper river and we've been talking about making the trip. It will be in seasonal legs. Guessing you need to get over to the east coast first. that's a big leg. Cross to the Azores, then to the Med. Then cross the med and up to the Black sea. You can do it for $20,000 and 9 months. It 's a swan so you have the boat. I'll do it for $80,000. (just kidding)...... ( not really).. (I'll do it.)
Old 06-27-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

SHIP IT

Alternatively Pacific milk run and road transport if you do not fancy the Red Sea pirates.
Old 06-27-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I think those boat transport ships are affordable. I think they will get you to Turkey and then just sail north from there. Prob. cheaper and quicker.