SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Internet Cafes (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/8913-internet-cafes.html)

flicker 01-14-2004 02:14 PM

Internet Cafes

Hi, all,

This isn''t exaaactly about sailing, but I will soon be going on vacation on the Caribbean coast of Central America. We will probably stay mostly around Isla Colon in the Bocas del Toro Archipelago off Panama. There''s also a good chance we''ll be spending time in the small port towns of Costa Rica.

During this trip we will need to correspond with the States and the internet seems the cheapest and easiest way to go. While I''ve met many travellers who virtually live in internet cafes, I haven''t any experience with the service.

Do I need to keep my Compuserve account in order to use these Cafes or do I pay my the minute (or hour) for the whole service? If I am staying on the move, how will responses get back to me?

Thanks in advance,
Chas

PBzeer 01-14-2004 02:31 PM

Internet Cafes

You won''t need any US account to use an Internet Cafe. What you will need is an e-mail address that is accessible from a website, such as Yahoo or Hotmail. If you can check your Compuserve mail without logging on to Compuserve, you can use it. Otherwise, get a web based e-mail. Then it won''t matter where you are when you send or recieve your mail.

Fair winds,

John

PBzeer 01-14-2004 02:36 PM

Internet Cafes

Oh, one other thing. Most Internet Cafes have IRC (Internet Relay Chat) installed. So that would be an excellent way to speak realtime with someone (well, at least type to someone *G*). So if you aren''t familar with it, you might check it out, or Yahoo chat as well.

flicker 01-14-2004 02:56 PM

Internet Cafes

Thanks, John. This helps us out a lot.

Chas

Stede 01-14-2004 04:06 PM

Internet Cafes

Flicker,

I traveled a good portion of Costa Rica about 3 years ago. We traveled as far North as the Volcano Arenal,and as far South as Manuel Antonio Park. Besides the resort we stayed at,the only commercial internet access I ran across was in a town called Heredia.The internet terminals were in a McDonald''s there. Yep,you read that right :^) The only Burger King we saw was close to a town called Jaco, and it was a converted bread truck with a canopy.It''s a different world down there my friend.

Talking to the locals there,the cost of using the internet is very high.Maybe things have changed by now? Costa Rica is a very beautiful country. You will enjoy it.

Oh,on a sailing note, I did sail a small day sailor out of Puntarenas 8^)

flicker 01-14-2004 05:24 PM

Internet Cafes

Stede,

Costa Rica has changed a lot in the last 6 years. Now you can find internet access in the bigger San Jose hotels, and just about every little town has an "internet cafe".

When I first mentioned them to an IT friend of mine he said "Charlie, an internet cafe has HUNDREDS of computers on T1 lines. At least in England that''s what they''re like."

I was shocked at this because all I had ever seen was a computer or two on small table in the corner of a bar or store. I do know that there is internet access now in Puerto Viejo, Cahuita, and (probably) Limon. On the west coast, it may be in Golfito, Playa Zancudo and probably Montezuma, as well as Jaco.

On a sailing note, Puerto Viejo is where I saw my first cat on a beautiful day lying leasurely inside the reef in 3 feet of clear water and all of 12 feet from the golden sand beach. She lay maybe 60 feet from the shops. I was immediately impressed.

There is little protected water that I know of on the lower Caribbean coast, but there this boat sat protected from the swells. This one remembered image is the most potent arguement why I want shoal draft or a K/CB.

Chas