Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: exercise

Bring your bike along cuz you will have plenty of opportunities to explore the fabulous places you get to sail to. Have a rowing dinghy and your assured of another good form of excercise. If hauling water and diesel jugs is not enough for you then swimming and snorkeling will give you some more excercise. As somebody else mentioned you are motivated now, so sailing should not get in the way. PS. We are going to ride our bikes through Thailand later this year....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

When sailing alone doesn't give you enough targeted exercise, we had the help of a physical therapist whose father was a liveaboard. Resistance bands wrapped around the mast, and fenders as an impromptu pilates ball, worked for the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-28-2012
Sail noob

Murph is on a distinguished road

I sailed a sunfish for a little over an hour last night.....15-20 with twitchy little shifts from SW to to W. Between the shifts & the gusts it was all I could do to collapse on the dock upon my return. If you're worried about a lack of exercise, sail the little boats.
Old 06-28-2012

buffalobrewer is on a distinguished road

I'm a big out of shape guy, and was surprised how much work it was flopping around the deck on tacks. Grinding away on the winches just added to the workout. After a few weeks the pants are getting looser.
travlineasy likes this.
Old 06-29-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Sedentary? If I don't get a motor for my dinghy, I'll look like Hulk by the time the boat comes out of the water!

Row myself out to the boat; the phone rings; my brother is on the pier. Row back and get him; it rings again; my wife heard I was gonna be onboard and stopped by. Row back to get her and bro tells me we're out of ice...

I know, I know... we should all have such 'problems'.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 06-29-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

I'm 55 and stay reasonably active -- aerobics or lifting a total of five days a week, for example. Last week, I was out for about 4 hours and since I was a little out of practice, I worked pretty hard on tacking and jibing. So much so, that when I got home, I was surprised how tired and how sore I was. It can be a quite rigorous workout, but since I enjoy it so much, I don't realize how hard I'm working at times.

It ain't sedentary at all.