Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012

mtlcharlie is on a distinguished road
exercise

I am a wannabee sailor but at 61 am concerned that my present vigorous exercise regimen (ie regular 50 mile bike rides) will give way to the apparent sedentary activity of sailing, especially offshore. I hope I am wrong and someone can inform me otherwise. BTW I so appreciate the opportunity to read and learn from Sailnet-tx.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2012

marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
exercise

Sedentary? I'm not sure what kind of boat you're looking at, but after a day on my boat, I feel pretty much beat to hell. I stop going to the gym in the summer because I sail so often.
Old 06-28-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road
Re: exercise

When we cruised in the Bahamas, I was in my best shape since I left the military almost twenty years ago. It was never sedentary at all. You wouldn't believe the muscles that you utilize while sailing, and then there is all the other activity:

Lots of snorkeling, swimming, beach combing, walking around towns, bike riding, cleaning the boat bottom, fishing, hauling water and fuel, and whatever else you can imagine.
TQA likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2012

Allen-deckard is on a distinguished road
Im pretty sure like anything else in life that depends on you. You can put as much effort or as little effort as you see fit also depends on your boat where your sailing what season and on and on if your pushing yourself to ride 50 miles a day then id say your self motivated and will probably find more than enough to keep in shape but its not golds gym either.
Old 06-28-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I would think most cruisers actually spend a small (ish) portion of their time at sea. While anchored you could find any number of aerobic activities. While at sea, you will be working on other aspects of fitness (muscular strength). Some have small exercise bike machines onboard. There is even the possibility of a pedal cranking electric generator.
Old 06-28-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

What kind of exercise is a bicycle

In all serious we have to back off are rigorous winter program to have enough engery to use the sailboat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-28-2012

mtlcharlie is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses. They are encouraging. I have sailed enough to be bitten. I love the salt air, the wind, the challenge, the adventure, the learning, the call for self-sufficiency, the community and the peacefulness. I look forward to the day even more.
Old 06-28-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Many older sailors who move to powerboats because their bodies can no longer handle the physical demands of sailing.

Powerboats are about as sedentary as you can get, just sitting on your butt hoisting cocktails!
Hull#101
Old 06-28-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Mtlcharlie,
I used to ride like you, owned a bike shop, did all big rides, etc. I am 68. Ten years ago I had a hip replacement and riding became problematic. Six years ago I bought a 28 foot sailboat and can vouch for the statements made above about the rigors of sailing. When just out sailing, there is no aerobic component, but you are doing so many things that are way beyond riding a bike that you will feel pretty exhausted after a vigorous day on the water. Add swimming (like when you scrub down the hull), rowing and shore based aerobic activities and you can easily have that component in your physical regimen. If you don't breakanything and stay healthy there shouldn't be any reason not to sail well into your seventies and with a little luck into your eighties. Off shore? Maybe not. But surely in the bay/lake.
Old 06-28-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

I've had similar concerns, having left cycling and triathlon for sailing (riding a bike in Charleston is about as dangerous as you can imagine), but it's going to be a while before we take off on a semi-permanent basis to go cruising. I had the opportunity to talk with Beth Leonard over breakfast one morning a couple of years ago in Annapolis, and she shares that exact sentiment. Cruisers voyaging habits vary substantially (and where you go dictates what you do in terms of exercise), but I can't imagine any other person's opinion on that topic I valued more. There really is no good way to get decent weight-bearing exercise while sailing, so you have to do it when you are ashore. One thing we've done while chartering, of course, is swimming and lots of hiking. Once we get our big boat, I plan to bring along bikes to explore the areas we travel to, so that'll satisfy that itch!