SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Wish someone would do this for a Yanmar...

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  TQA 
#1 ·
Imagine if someone did a teardown on a 3GM30 :D

#3 ·
#6 · (Edited)
11 MONTHS???????
That ain't an accomplishment to be applauded that is an outrage to be ridiculed. It's a bog standard british engine with parts available from any number of mail order houses. That is a weekend worth of 12 hour days to tear down and rebuild...if you're mentally disabled and only have a metric socket set missing 42% of the sockets, two hammers and three screw drivers.
11 months... this explains so many blogs and articles about the 5 year restoration of bug-eye Sprites.

Speaking of yanmars...

I'm not sure why yanmars are so intimidating. they are the AC/DC of marine engines- starightforward, user-friendly, great results from limited tools and thoroughly enjoyable without any deep thinking.

If you need a youtube video to walk you through a yanmar GM series teardown, i expect your shoes likely have velcro straps.

#8 ·
Maybe he chose the government post for parts delivery instead of FedEx :D

I think what took time was to capture each step (right down to the unscrewing of the oil filter) on a stop motion camera! This video is more of a piece of performance art than actual technical feat of accomplishment.

Still would have preferred the choice of a marine diesel over a car engine. Could have had the added effect of hoisting the old engine out of a boat :)

11 MONTHS???????
That ain't an accomplishment to be applauded that is an outrage to be ridiculed. It's a bog standard british engine with parts available from any number of mail order houses. That is a weekend worth of 12 hour days to tear down and rebuild...if you're mentally disabled and only have a metric socket set missing 42% of the sockets, two hammers and three screw drivers.
11 months... this explains so many blogs and articles about the 5 year restoration of bug-eye Sprites.

Speaking of yanmars...

I'm not sure why yanmars are so intimidating. they are the AC/DC of marine engines- starightforward, user-friendly, great results from limited tools and thoroughly enjoyable without any deep thinking.

If you need a youtube video to walk you through a yanmar GM series teardown, i expect your shoes likely have velcro straps.

#9 ·
Bought back a few memories I used to sell fix and race BMC A and B series engines. Lovely honest lumps of cast iron and a doddle to work on. Any mechanic working for me who took more than a day and a half to strip clean and rebuild one would have had a flea in his ear and have been missing any bonus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.