The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Being a minimalist takes minimal exlplanation, Buy little boat, anchor it out in bay, Live on it. Simple as simple. As for Tommays comment above, it looks like your life is pretty awesome to me. As I age I am aquiring more comforts, My most minimalist life style happend in my 20' and 30's. Now in my 40's, I have more stuff, but I have the skill and equipment to resort back to barebone's in an instant. The life I lead as a young adult was the catalist for my career today, and now I can afford to have some more stuff. I will alway's be an advocate of keeping the sailboat simply rigged and equiped with heavy duty manual stuff over complicated, expensive, fragile plastic stuff. And thank goodness Brent is here to lead by example. Spread the word man, here and any where else you can catch peoples attention.
I didn't even notice sailnet had add's.... oh, up top there, I never read that sh!t.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-04-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Never had to. The price would have to be added to the price of the book.
Old 07-04-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Sillier items like BFS bumper stickers??? Joking.
Umm For sure!!! ]
I'm starting to think you're a little jealous dude. I can't help it if they're the hottest thing since skinny jeans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-04-2012
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Ok maybe just a little jealous......

Hey what about a BFS branded skinny jean???
Now that would really be something and it might be the exact thing to get kiddies off there Xbox's and interested in a bit of BFS action

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 07-04-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Ok maybe just a little jealous......

Hey what about a BFS branded skinny jean???
Now that would really be something and it might be the exact thing to get kiddies off there Xbox's and interested in a bit of BFS action
Too late. You know that fashion has a 15 year cycle. That's why I'm working on the BFS Bellbottom Wetsuit. It's going to rage.
chall03 likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-04-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Never had to. The price would have to be added to the price of the book.
Thenquitcherbitchin. if you don't want to shell out to buy an ad, then don't complain when your posts disguised as ads get censored, and when you get banned form forums.
There's a fine line between thrift- as- a- lifestyle and freeloading hypocrisy. You're obviously a for-profit enterprise, otherwise you would give your books away for free, so the only thing different between you and those damn ad-buying "swindlers" to use your term, is that at least they BUY their advertising.

BTW, since it would sell more books, the price of the book could actually come down, due to the economies of scale thanks to the relatively small amount spent on advertising.

Brent, you've got a lot to offer, but you're your own worst enemy sometimes.

Old 07-04-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
If you're going to own a sailboat, especially if you are younger and cash-strapped (your boat will assure you are cash-strapped later:-) you should invest in being able to do the things that are necessary. Invest in a welder. Invest in some good hand tools and invest in learning how to use them. One of the things that makes me nervous about younger folks is that they depend too much on groups. They have been brought up and indoctrinated in the age of touchy-feely "groupness." "Friending" is a new verb that hints at this tendency. They are consequently manipulated easily as a group. I believe there were many more independent thinking people 40 years ago in the baby boom generation. There were a lot more old boats resurrected by 18 year-olds in the 60s. There seemed to be more kids interested in individual things that did not require a group of "friends." Also, working with one's hands to get proficient at something more than really fast texting (another new verb) was more in vogue.
Agree about the first part mostly. Maybe not the welder, not a lot that can be welded on an FG boat, especially not with a consumer grade welder from Canadian Tire or some such with flux core wire etc.
The hand tools are invaluable. Cordless tools are great too. Buy longevity over gimmicks. Dewalts or a house brand of a tool company can be the best bets. Home depot has the same battery packs they've had for ages. Saves on replacing the whole tool.

I'm kicking myself for not getting a smaller cordless setup and one of those impact guns(which I've always laughed about, because how can you be too lazy to drive screws with a drill?) Best tools I've ever owned. Put the screw driver in the end, with the sleeve for driving long screws and it lets me tighten huge hose clamps in seconds without ever slipping or stripping.
Where I often avoided my big hammer drill for weight, these are just too easy.

Nonsense. At least complaining about the youth of today hasn't gone out style.
The youth who rebuilt boats and sailed them away were not all that common then either.

While I do admit that most people my age are pretty useless, I don't believe there were that many less useless people in that age. If anything, the baby boomers are not exactly highly regarded for their ability to think about things critically or independently any more than the youth of today. How many of them had to worry about carrying insurance on the boats just to dock somewhere?
Or in case the boat sank so they wouldn't go bankrupt etc.

In any population, the majority of people will do what everyone else does, and seek approval.
Goes with being called the majority
Old 07-04-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Thenquitcherbitchin. if you don't want to shell out to buy an ad, then don't complain when your posts disguised as ads get censored, and when you get banned form forums.
There's a fine line between thrift- as- a- lifestyle and freeloading hypocrisy. You're obviously a for-profit enterprise, otherwise you would give your books away for free, so the only thing different between you and those damn ad-buying "swindlers" to use your term, is that at least they BUY their advertising.

BTW, since it would sell more books, the price of the book could actually come down, due to the economies of scale thanks to the relatively small amount spent on advertising.

Brent, you've got a lot to offer, but you're your own worst enemy sometimes.
But how do you really feel about it, I mean really feel,... inside. Don't pull any punches.
Old 07-04-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I can be either diplomatic or honest. do not expect both.
chall03 and Capt.aaron like this.

Old 07-04-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Nothing wrong with standing on a street corner and holding up your book and saying "Hey read this, you'll like it, I wrote it". The internet is just a busy street corner. Nothing wrong with some free press or a chance to plug your ideas, it's what's great about the internet I think. I didn't have to pay to join this sight, I'm not paying to voice my oppinion. And if any ones interested I have a sail boat for sale, and a 40 foot dive boat selling as a buisiness in Key West. I do deliveries for profit, send me a pm, I'm writing a book, look for it's promotioms on sailnet.com next year and if anybody wants to hire me for sailboat purchasing consultation I'm available, I have a tow endorsment on my liscence if you break down and need a tow, And my wife makes awesome cotton pant's with a tie string waist, they come in three colo(u)rs, white, blue and olive...oh ya, and she makes these toe to ankle bracelet things with bead's on 'em for the lady's........what else... I became a minister on line so I do weddings.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-04-2012 at 11:45 PM.