The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 12 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Lot's of options and opportunity's here
Can't wait to visit!

I wasn't exactly sure where key west was until I looked it up on Google Earth, wow! Looks like an amazing place!

I have a children's foundation project that may well be coming to the US far sooner than originally planned... fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.UK View Post
Can't wait to visit!

I wasn't exactly sure where key west was until I looked it up on Google Earth, wow! Looks like an amazing place!

I have a children's foundation project that may well be coming to the US far sooner than originally planned... fingers crossed!
pm me, I'll buy you a pint. You might want to stay, be a pedi-cab driver.
DavidB.UK likes this.
Old 07-06-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
pm me, I'll buy you a pint. You might want to stay, be a pedi-cab driver.
It will be pleasure to meet you when the time comes Capt.
Old 07-06-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

thanks capt. Aaron

It's encouraging to hear that there are a few income oprtunities. And I'l look further into the fleming key anchorage.
We sail up and down the east coast seasonally and this fall I want to go to KW because I've never been. The work issue concerned me a little as I would prefer to make a few dolars and working is usually a good way to pass time and get to know an area and the people around. I just don't want to go as a total tourist and spend myself broke.
Last couple years I've realized that I gotta get to a few places I want to experience soon, times racing by.
Hope to see you their.
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 07-07-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
thanks capt. Aaron

It's encouraging to hear that there are a few income oprtunities. And I'l look further into the fleming key anchorage.
We sail up and down the east coast seasonally and this fall I want to go to KW because I've never been. The work issue concerned me a little as I would prefer to make a few dolars and working is usually a good way to pass time and get to know an area and the people around. I just don't want to go as a total tourist and spend myself broke.
Last couple years I've realized that I gotta get to a few places I want to experience soon, times racing by.
Hope to see you their.
Come down and get a job, we have them,. I would throw pride out the window and get down and work with the locals. Wait, bus tables. Mix concreate,paint fences, what ever. Flemmig is good in the winter. The further out the better. It's all about the dingy. If you can get on a plane, all the way out on the north west point is the best. If you have a 2.5 or are paddl'n the south west area, more crowded. either way you are close to town and work.
Old 07-07-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Why are you giving away all the secrets! Lol. Another idea, get a job in a marina. It's helping me out, every skill I learn directly applies to my boat.

Brent: I was thinking about what you said about the burden of maintaining the book. Have you considered having it converted for e book readers? E-books have the advantage of income, without the paper and mailing etc, sold online it would mean a lot less effort involved. I will be buying a copy when I can, but I would have already bought it if it were online. Minimal space means minimal paper, and I just prefer ebooks for that. Plus they don't tend to go out of print or get lost so easy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2012

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

Sorry. I am a wee bit of a sceptic. Sure you can sail on low budget boat or live on one and make a living in various ways. I doubt I could pick up 300 -500 a day in tips as a waitress.
Hmm the concept puts one off tipping rather. I mean do your congresspersons make that much?
Umm the trishaw whatevers - guess the unemployed or underemployed haven't heard of that scam or the old market rules blah blah has had a hiccup.
Seems to me that it is as hard to make a buck as ever unless the greater fool theory is true. Tee hee.
Old 07-07-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Sorry. I am a wee bit of a sceptic. Sure you can sail on low budget boat or live on one and make a living in various ways. I doubt I could pick up 300 -500 a day in tips as a waitress.
Hmm the concept puts one off tipping rather. I mean do your congresspersons make that much?
Umm the trishaw whatevers - guess the unemployed or underemployed haven't heard of that scam or the old market rules blah blah has had a hiccup.
Seems to me that it is as hard to make a buck as ever unless the greater fool theory is true. Tee hee.
It can be done. $500 is a double shift during season on a sunday here in KW at a popular wharf side seafood place as a head waitress in the best section. That takes time to get to that position. As a bar back in a simular type place, I was making $200 a day. As a bar back in the night big club,I made a least $300 a shift. Showed up a 4 p.m. and left the place at 6 a.m. the next day. Brutal. Hard job to get. As newbie in town you can easily break a $100 a shift if you are good. Not everybody can wait tables at this kind of volume, we have some of the best down here. A lot of people go back and forth between Some northern tourist town in the summer and winter here. I know i guy who single handed between Rhode Island and Key West every year to do just that. In a town where every body works for tips you have locals making good money and then go out an tip big. it's a part of the service industry culture. You definatly won't belive what a Sloppy Joes bar tender is making a year.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-07-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2012

sloss321 is on a distinguished road
The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Over the last couple of years my wife and I have been downsizing and getting rid of all the unnecessary fixed expenses that we thought people weren't supposed to live without. We're almost able to live off of one income and actually enjoy out life much better than before because we don't have the stress of having to pay so much money every month. Now I'm am doing everything in my power to get the wife to get the boat and live on it instead of renting or buying the house.

Realistically, we are going to be working for awhile because of student loan debt. We also have two big dogs and do want to start having kids, but from reading this website and many others, nothing seems impossible once you put your mind to it. The one thing we do know is that we are no longer waiting for that elusive retirement date and nest egg to enjoy life.
Old 07-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
I'm curious on opinions on this one. When Baby boomers were in their 20's there were lots of them in small capable sailboats (some they made themselves) cruising across oceans; but now-a-days the majority of twenty-year olds appear to be utterly useless. I just don't get it, and I'm in my twenties, and cruising.

I'm also curious as to where people think the future of the sailing industry is going if there are so few young people involved?

Any thoughts?
Believe you are in Panama, right? You seen this thread? http://www.sailnet.com/forums/piracy...tml#post894656

Just checking in. Hope you are ok.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook: