The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 13 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Yes we are ok, pretty close call on that one. I talked to the couple today. They are in rough shape but doing well considering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2012

Serendipitous is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I'm not sure why there aren't more young sailors out there? Maybe it is a trickle down from the generation before us not partaking in it as much either. Or maybe people our age don't know that you can buy a decently cheap boat just to have fun with on the weekends. At least we're out there living the dream, right? (or I will be in a few weeks)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

Old 07-11-2012

sloss321 is on a distinguished road
The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

My wife are going to be getting into sailing in a couple of weeks when we take our first weekend course at The Manhattan Sailing School! We are 30 and neither one of us have sailors in our families. We can't wait to experience this lifestyle!!!!

I think finding an affordable solution today is what prevents a lot of younger people from partaking in sailing. After the weekend course we plan on joining the Manhattan Sailing Club because you basically have access to their sailboats whenever the schedule permits. Therefore no need for us to worry about getting a boat of our own right away and all the costs that come along with it.
Old 07-11-2012

crstophr is on a distinguished road

I'm about to turn 39. We live in the SF bay area and have great jobs, dual income, no kids, no debt (no CC, school loans, nothing). Our vehicles are all old and paid for, we save money every month. Sadly we live in an area where there are too many people and not enough housing. Rents are insanely high for even a modest place to live. Sales and fuel taxes make everything more expensive. We do OK but we have to be careful. God help us when we want to have kids.... in most other parts of the country we'd be living well at our income level. Not here. If you're older and you bought your house in the 80s and 90s you're doing great. if you bought lately... well... you're spending most of your available income paying a mortgage that 2-3 maybe 4x what your older neighbor pays. Salaries have not kept up with inflation and the rise of living expenses.

I think that good sailing areas tend to be high demand areas to live and the cost of living is very high. If you're a younger person with a mortgage you just can't reasonably justify a boat loan. If you're handy and have time to put work into it you can support an older boat. If not you can't afford the loan or the maintenance costs.

Someone please tell me where we can live so that I can get a good job with computers, support a family, have a reasonable cost of living, and still have a nice place to own a boat and sail. Any country will do. We dream of this life all the time...
Old 07-11-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Here's some advice to the younger boaters who currently don't own a boat, from an old man that has owned 17 boats in his 71-year lifetime.

First and foremost, you don't need to buy a new boat. In many respects it will depreciate as fast as a car, and at about the same rate of depreciation. Buy used - it's the best way to go, especially if you've never owned a boat.

Next, don't buy a boat from a friend unless you no longer want him or her as friends. Friends always seem to believe they can get top dollar for a boat they either can no longer afford, or no longer want.

Think smaller. Everyone would love to have a boat big enough to sail around the globe and live comfortably on. Odds are that you will NOT sail circumnavigate the globe - even if you're young. Try your hand a day sailing, maybe some overnights to a not too distant cove or creek and enjoy the waters close to home. I know lots of folks that have trailerable sailboats that they store in the driveway or behind the house when they're working, then haul it to a new place every weekend and explore new vistas that are just a short drive from home. Others that live in apartments store their boats on marina parking lots, thereby eliminating the task of putting the mast and rigging in place every time they want to go sailing. Saves them lots of time and money.

If and when you decide that you wish to go bigger, take your time and do some research before taking the plunge and buying something that must remain at a marina because it's too large to transport. Do some internet shopping, but also drive to all the nearby marinas and talk with the dockmaster to find out if there is a make and model of the boat you are primarily interested in available at that location. More often than not you will find it using this method, or the dockmaster can point you in the direction of where that boat may be located.

Derelict boats can be found in nearly every marina, large or small. These boats are not always junkers that are ready for the scrap heap. Many have been abandoned simply because the owner has passed away and the marina has a storage lean on the boat in hopes of regaining some of their losses for slip rent or dry storage. I've seen some 27-Catalinas in excellent condition go for as little as $4,000 and more recently saw a 30-Catalina-T go for under $10,000, which was the repair bill when the owner said he was tired of boating and walked away.

For the most part, the youngsters, folks under age 30, that I've encountered seem to want something that goes fast, you only need to insert a key and fill it with gas and you can travel 100 miles in less than 3 hours. I was that way until I was about 60 years old. Now, I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere - even when driving the van. Guess that's among the many reasons sailing caught my interest.

Hope this helps some of you youngsters that are pondering what direction to go,

Gary
dnf777 and Lou452 like this.
Old 07-11-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crstophr View Post

Someone please tell me where we can live so that I can get a good job with computers, support a family, have a reasonable cost of living, and still have a nice place to own a boat and sail. Any country will do. We dream of this life all the time...
North Carolina. Great tech job area and banking.

South Carolina.

Tampa area

Houston area (Galveston)

Seattle/Pacific Northwest is pricey, but not San Fran pricey. Great tech jobs area.

Chesapeake area has lots of (govt/gov't contractor) jobs...pricey but affordable considering the pay scale.

To me, its a matter of priorities. I used to spend my money on a new car every 3 years. Now, our cars are 6 and 7 years old and will go till 10-15. That money is poured into a boat

Last edited by night0wl; 07-11-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Put yourself in a "30 and under" mindset:

What appeals, and what is the draw for sailboat cruising... exactly?
Old 07-11-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Put yourself in a "30 and under" mindset:

What appeals, and what is the draw for sailboat cruising... exactly?
Adventure...exactly.

Here's the thing - if you have a decent sailboat on the ocean, you can, literally, point it toward any point on the planet and get there. It will be hard, it will be dangerous, but it is entirely possible.

That, my friend, is magic.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-12-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Adventure...exactly.

Here's the thing - if you have a decent sailboat on the ocean, you can, literally, point it toward any point on the planet and get there. It will be hard, it will be dangerous, but it is entirely possible.

That, my friend, is magic.
No no, you're answering as though you are talking to me - I still get why cruising the world in a sailboat has it's appeal, even though I'm not going cruising - I do still see it and get it even if I'm not going to do it now.

I'm saying, take your average gen Y or "millennial", then think about being them now - where none of your friends go outside to "play" for the most part, and the bad economy and general lack of physical activity are the new norm and all you've ever known.

Then.. add in the uber need and reliance on technology for fulfillment that is very hard to afford, install and maintain on a cruising yacht and you begin to see why the kids don't cruise and why cruising is prolly going to die out even more as this decade and the next unfold.

I believe that the generation after mine (I'm an X) just doesn't have the interest, will, skill or drive to build and/or sail cruising boats. Even if they have the money to do so. As an X'er, I can motivate and build a boat up (as evidenced), and I could certainly sail it prolly anywhere if I still had the will/desire to do so - Y'ers/millenials? Not so much it seems as a whole.

It's a fact that the Y generation has had almost a 25% drop in even getting drivers licenses when eligible, compared to prior generations..
elspru likes this.
Old 07-12-2012

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

Try Auckland - I believe the highest number of boats per head. Housing is expensive though and wages not so great.
Oh and if you can point a credit card anywhere you can go there too in a fraction of the time and cost.