The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 17 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
I watched the movie "The Aristocrats" and to me it had a very good point. All the comedians loved this joke because it was a process, not a result. It was not a funny joke, and had a horrible punchline. However, they loved saying it because it allowed them to push the barrier and create their own experience with the body, the process. I think Gen Y is too focused on the punchline, and have never known that the journey holds all the value.
Very well said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
In all this wonderful generalising let's stop and consider who started this thread, who asked the original question.....

Youmeandthed - A couple in there 20's currently cruising in Panama.
Maybe they are the exception that proves the rule? But come on the Gen Y's aren't all doomed, let's give these guys credit where it is due.

Again, some exceptions here and there of course exist, but overall? I stand by my opinion on the the Y's when viewed as a generation.

Irritating little muffin tops, meh...
Old 07-13-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

To those of you who probably have noticed that your overly acerbic posts have disappeared from this thread, (and I am sure you all know who you are), cut it out.
peterchech likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 07-13-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
To those of you who probably have noticed that your overly acerbic posts have disappeared from this thread, (and I am sure you all know who you are), cut it out.
Boomers, what are you gonna do, right?
Old 07-13-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
In all this wonderful generalising let's stop and consider who started this thread, who asked the original question.....

Youmeandthed - A couple in there 20's currently cruising in Panama.
Maybe they are the exception that proves the rule? But come on the Gen Y's aren't all doomed, let's give these guys credit where it is due.
+ freakin' 1. Take all the PRWG pontificating back to The Hole. That stuff is ridiculous.

If more people understood one simple thing (apart from the adventure maxim) a lot more of them would be sailing. And that's this...

It's not that big a deal. If, as a newb on a sailing forum, you learn anything - learn that.

You can easily find an old, but perfectly "sailable" boat under 30' for between $1K and $5K. It will need love, but it will sail. With that boat you can have a freakin' blast exploring your bay, coastal hopping, or whatever. Here's over 160 of them:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...tByPriceDesc|1

And here's a specific example of a Catalina 25 for $1950. Sleeps 4-5, looks like it's floating, looks like it has a pretty good outboard, has roller furling, etc.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

If it is floating, has no serious structural or hull damage, the outboard works well, and the sails are at all usable - this is a freakin' steal. Regardless of how crapped out the interior might be. You could easily make way more than the asking price just parting this boat out. See? You don't even have to "start out with a small dinghy to learn to sail correctly". You can have a small cruising boat like this that you can anchor and spend the night on with a few friends. Then you can even race it if/when you want. How cool is that?

The key is to find a boat that is ready to sail - now. Don't blow all your time and money "fixing it up". That's not nearly as fun as sailing it. Trust me.

Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be able to safely and reliably get you away from the dock, sail around, and get you back. And as long as you are conservative about when, where and how you sail as you learn - you'll be fine. Just be safety conscious.

And here's the other thing: When you're thinking about picking up sailing for the first time - it DOES look and sound complicated as hell. And, yes, there is A LOT to know.

BUT, it's not that hard. Seriously. You DON'T have to have a stack of certifications to go sailing and have fun.

So, just find a cheap boat that fits your budget (after researching the main things to look out for), buy it, and get someone who knows what they're doing to go out with you a few times and show you the ropes. It's really pretty easy.

I know because this is exactly what I did. I'm still alive, I haven't killed anyone, my boat is still afloat, I haven't had to call in the CG, and I haven't had a single collision or serious grounding.

So just do it already - while these other knuckleheads keep psychoanalyzing society.
sneuman, peterchech and JustinB like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-13-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Boomers, what are you gonna do, right?
To quote Marx, " I resemble that comment"
chrisncate likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 07-13-2012
Last Man Standing

By the way - here's a great example of what the "youth of today" you old farts are being critical of can pull off with a junked out Hunter, some tools, lots of ingenuity, and a rudder made from a 2X12.

Shoestring Hunter Adventure

or condensed here...

Shoestring Hunter Adventure
peterchech likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-13-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

It could be because we raised are children NOT to be slackers and perhaps because the schools they went to pop out a LOT of like minded peers i am just used to running into highly motivated young ones

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-13-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

NOTHING IN LIFE IS "REAL SIMPLE"

This is a typical display of a strong opinion without presenting any objective empirical evidence supporting those beliefs.

Judgmental and self rightous anecdotes involving some other people's kids who you kind of know isn't a great basis for such strong opinions. Yet that seems to be the basis of most posts made here about those "lazy" gen Y'ers.

Reminds me alot of Fox news, a channel very popular in some of the older age groups... fair and balanced ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
It's real simple. People without a driver's license don't buy cars. people living at home don't buy homes. no cars and no homes means no furniture, no appliances, no trailers, etc...
Therefore the impact of their unemployment on the economy overall is negligible.

Your own example shows that 35-44 is STILL impacted. Until Gen X feels comfortable with sepnding money, the economy si gonna be stadning still, and it is hard for gen X to feel comfortable when their coddled helicoptered, no summer-job-having non-driving, liberal arts grad kids are still living at home.

SWMBO and I have two kids, a 19 year old son and a 17 year old daughter. For almost half a decade they have been the only members of their peer group who have had to have summer jobs, part time jobs or volunteer jobs. That fact simultaneously stuns me, and makes me very proud of them.
Yes, they hate me. I am okay with that.
puddinlegs likes this.

Last edited by peterchech; 07-13-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

Jeff, seriously, you think it's ok for someone in our age group (over 40) to denigrate the younger generation without any empirical evidence while I stated clearly that my experience was based only on local observation? Or was it the fact that I mentioned SN posters' large degree of ongoing geographic and experiential myopia? If it's that latter, then please, I'd be honored to be permanently banned from Sailnet or if you prefer, just pull a 'chef' and bow out.

I've worked with and taught a lot of young people over the years in many capacities. In the end, my experiences have overwhelmingly been positive. I'll take my own experience over those who clearly have spent little or no time with generations other than their own. Acerbic? Sometimes. BS is BS and should be called such.