The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 19 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
What the heck is a "television" exactly? Is it some kind of primitive video phone that once had a black and white screen?
Yes, it was a vacuum tube device connected to an antenna. Antennas were atop every house. The fancy ones had ROTATORS whoa. They received FREE, yes, free broadcasts of The Honeymooners, Kookla Fran and Ollie, Howdy Doody, Roy Rogers, and The Little Rascals. What a primitive concept.
Old 07-14-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
I would have got my license at 16 too... Except my parents wouldn't sign for it so I had to wait until I was 18 to sign for it myself, at which point I'd been working for several years. Then when I did buy a vehicle to commute to my job with(12 hour rotating shift in a factory), I was invited to leave, or get rid of the vehicle. So I slept in my Jeep until I scraped up enough to rent a room.

160$ a month is about 4x what I pay , since I only have the internet and a cell, just as I've always had since I was invited to move out, but you could get the expensive package if you wanted I suppose.

Getting licensed cost me closer to 500$, but it's less to renew.
Liability only insurance runs about 1600$ a year for my '86 diesel golf, more if I want comprehensive. The last year I had it I only got broken into once, and the damage cost under a grand to fix.
Other parts(brakes, muffler, clutch etc) cost me about a grand that year too.
Parking near my work runs about 250$/mo for the cheapest area, and there are no permit free street parking spots.

550$/mo not including fuel... I'll pass on that for now thanks.

I'd rather spend than on my Alberg 30. 6 months of car operating costs would cost me more than the 60 hour week Brian(Mitiempo) and I put in re-wiring my Alberg.

I rode my motorbike to my SECOND job last week. After my 7 hour shift in the boatyard(retrofitting a holding tank into a Catalina 27) on a Saturday.
I parked in the motorbike parking area, for 8 hours to work that job(where I am now as well). There is a generally agreed upon space for motorcycles to park in, 20-30 bikes there every day. The parking people prefer it, since it frees up car spaces.
Well some new parking guy ticketed it, I've parked there 6 months no issue and even asked parking guys about it just to be damn sure I never had problems. 2 minutes later(at 11pm at night) it was towed away.

Faster than I can get a cop when my door has been split down the middle and my house robbed(they came next day). Faster than I can get an ambulance to the boatyard for an injured worker who is in serious pain(one hour).
200$ and another couple hours extra work later I made it home, back at the boatyard 6 hours later to help launch a boat.

What exactly about that sounds fun?
The bike is a 79 CX500 and I pay 1550$/yr for liability but parking is free, so long as you aren't getting towed.

I haven't had a day off in a long time, my days off from my main job I put in a 9 or 10 hour day in the boatyard, and a bit of time working on my boat if I can squeeze it in at the end.

Yup. That's definitely how I grew up. All those times I was going hungry to make sure I paid my rent, or pay for the parts to rebuild that Jeep I had bought to make it the 4x4 I could travel around the world in. Or when I sold the vehicle I'd spent a year rebuilding myself piece by piece to have enough money to make a start at going back to university so my girlfriend and I would have enough to live on while we studied and worked to pay our tuition.

Good thing I was so coddled, through all the factories and jobsites I worked in. That must've been why they lied to us about some of the things we worked with, some of which left the veins in my arms black for 6 months after I wised up and quit one factory. The coddling sure helped with the ongoing issues I have with my lungs and back from some of them too...
I never got screwed over by putting duty and work first and letting go of the things I wanted to be doing instead.

I rode my CX500 to Panama last year. 8 months on the road, one of them in California rebuilding her to make the rest of the trip.

Not sure how driving your car town around furthers anything. I let go of having a car when I grew up enough to realize I didn't need the toys and could get by with less.

I did the same thing, I had a little calendar above my lathe, at the woodturning shop I spent my weekends in working alone.
I was so excited to start driving to work even then. Sure was disappointed when I found out my parents had to sign off for me to get it.

B: Only so many times you can do that in an hour before you get tired of it.

Sorry, I'm halfway through a shift at my second job of the day(already spent the morning cutting and installing new plexi windows in a Catalina 27, the one I did a holding tank in last week).
Guess I'm a bit tired, since I didn't get home from the boatyard until 11pm last night, after 12 hours there, and 2 hours getting home, including enough panhandlers without needing a park. Including one begging right on the bus, and a drunk hassling us. I was back there again at 9am this morning.
On my lunch break now, so I'm making sure to not double up what I say for you.
Better?

I choose to live without a car now, I enjoy the Alberg 30 I'm slowly fixing up more than a car. Maybe you know a bit about that feeling, simplicity over complication?

They said that about your generation too(genX). So yes, it applies.

Now I've wasted my lunch break on this crap, when I should know better. I'm off to finish up my receipts and hours for the boatyard, and do a few more useful things before I get back to work.

I'd like to think that this post was just a miss-step on your part, and a lack of understanding. It didn't come across that way, and as I have worked hard and struggled for everything I've got, and to provide for others in my life it didn't sit well with me.
Alberg 30? Ok, you're alright.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012
Don't sail anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Yes, it was a vacuum tube device connected to an antenna. Antennas were atop every house. The fancy ones had ROTATORS whoa. They received FREE, yes, free broadcasts of The Honeymooners, Kookla Fran and Ollie, Howdy Doody, Roy Rogers, and The Little Rascals. What a primitive concept.
I think that's an awesome concept actually. I am no fan of the "now", and I'd love to have been part of the two prior generations to mine. You guys got the best years imo
Old 07-14-2012
Don't sail anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
chrisncate - you're being overdramatic. You're gen-x and did *NOT* have it hard. For gods sake, college was cheap, there were surpluses at the federal level, the dot com explosion made many of you millionaires, the housing boom made even more you wealthy...so I'm not buying it.

These millenials started with 9/11, went to college in an era where tuition is rising at 15-20% annually, graduated in an era where there are *NO* jobs even for college graduates. Not to mention that *THEY* have fought and died in 2 major foreign wars. What was your generations major war? Desert Storm? Kosovo?

Please...those were video games compared to what the Millenials have experienced in Iraq & Afghanistan.

Gen-X is the generation that had almost as easy as the Baby Boomers...
Should we have had a war? I'm glad we didn't, in that area I do feel very lucky.

And reading what you wrote, I think you Boomers might want to keep an eye out behind you in the future. When the Millenials finally do figure en masse which generation actually brought them tuition rising at 15-20% annually, graduating in an era where there are *NO* jobs even for college graduates, and that *THEY* have fought and died in 2 major foreign wars... well, you guys trained em, so you deal with em..

I need to be clear on something else as well - I am very happy to have grown up when I did. I miss those days all the time and I feel lucky to have been part of that era.
Old 07-14-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think that's an awesome concept actually. I am no fan of the "now", and I'd love to have been part of the two prior generations to mine. You guys got the best years imo

A30's the universal language of getting along

XKCD summed it up well. Born after the world was explored, and before space starts to be explored.

Sometimes I agree with it, but often I'm glad to live now, though I'd like to live earlier or farther in the future when I run into frustrations.
The technology today IS a double edge sword, but it can be used to your advantage.

In an era where I can have a light that is unlikely to burn out in my lifetime that charges off a solar panel the size of a paperback book, and a library bigger than most cities have, that's the size of a 6 pack of beer, and an e-reader that lasts a month on a charge.

Google maps on a phone is the kind of technology armies would have killed for only a couple generations ago.
It's possible to go farther and lighter than ever before, but requires a different mindset, and a mix of the technology of today(LEDs, ebook readers, low power robust computing), with the technology of the past(like your A30 setup).

I've laid out routes for the next day's ride, on a map sketched by a man who lived without any power, on my e-book by the light of an old lantern in a building that was ruins before Canada became a country.

We still live in interesting times, frustrating as they may be sometimes.
bljones, BentSailor and elspru like this.
Old 07-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Character is built through adversity, and we've all had our share. I am notorious for throwing myself into perilous situations just to see how I will manage to get myself out of them. Adventurous spirit. We are a chosen few, those of us who venture out to sea on small boats. We will never be the majority. A very small group of each generation will do it in their 20's, a little more in the 30's and so on. I was sailing all over the place by myself in my early 20's, and ya'll might of read my blog or seen me on-line if they had that 20 years ago. Either way and regardless, I'm glad we are out there doing it to what ever capacity we are capable of and hope we inspire future generations to do the same.
Old 07-15-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I would have got my license at 16 too... I have worked hard and struggled for everything I've got, and to provide for others in my life it didn't sit well with me.
jg, you are the exception that proves the rule, and you realize that as well when you take a look at your peer group.
You have absolutely nothing to defend or justify- we here know who you are.
You walk the walk.
Hell, he still thinks i am an assh ole because i jerked his chain a few months back but i gotta give props to peterchech as well- another young dude who is bucking the trend and not offering any "yeah, but"s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2012
Don't sail anymore

Quote:
A30's the universal language of getting along
Yup

Quote:
XKCD summed it up well. Born after the world was explored, and before space starts to be explored.

Sometimes I agree with it, but often I'm glad to live now, though I'd like to live earlier or farther in the future when I run into frustrations.
The technology today IS a double edge sword, but it can be used to your advantage.

In an era where I can have a light that is unlikely to burn out in my lifetime that charges off a solar panel the size of a paperback book, and a library bigger than most cities have, that's the size of a 6 pack of beer, and an e-reader that lasts a month on a charge.

Google maps on a phone is the kind of technology armies would have killed for only a couple generations ago.
It's possible to go farther and lighter than ever before, but requires a different mindset, and a mix of the technology of today(LEDs, ebook readers, low power robust computing), with the technology of the past(like your A30 setup).

I've laid out routes for the next day's ride, on a map sketched by a man who lived without any power, on my e-book by the light of an old lantern in a building that was ruins before Canada became a country.

We still live in interesting times, frustrating as they may be sometimes.
Well, there is a saying: "may you live in interesting times", it's a chinese curse..

I am an old fart at heart at 39 - I don't want any of this crap really, I like tech from about 1987 backwards. I like cassette tapes (I could tape anything I wanted without worrying about being busted for piracy, the only drawback was the DJ's voice over the beginning of the song. Well, that and rewinding and fast forwarding...), our various cordless house phones were the indestructible beige ones with the pull out antenna (you bang out 7 digits in 2 seconds flat on one of those things and if you weren't home you didn't get calls cause the phone was at home), mid size cars were as big as todays sub compacts and hardly any SUV's existed (family truckster wagons were available though, woodgrain and all), computers were stupid and totally useless on the consumer level, and hardly anybody had one (we had a Commodore 64 though), to get anywhere you had to read a map, books were made of paper, lights were a nice warm color, batteries lasted a day maybe... etc etc...

I use the tech stuff of today cause what else am I supposed to do - it's our modern culture. I often hope for a surprise EMP from space, but fat chance on that...

EDIT: Oh yea, and another thing - A camera didn't take 12 seconds to take a picture back then with all the flashing and clicking at a snails pace as you miss your shot, it just went click/flash and you could time it almost exactly if you were good..
Capt.aaron likes this.

Last edited by chrisncate; 07-15-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yup

Well, there is a saying: "may you live in interesting times", it's a chinese curse..

I am an old fart at heart at 39 - I don't want any of this crap really, I like tech from about 1987 backwards. I like cassette tapes (I could tape anything I wanted without worrying about being busted for piracy, the only drawback was the DJ's voice over the beginning of the song. Well, that and rewinding and fast forwarding...), our various cordless house phones were the indestructible beige ones with the pull out antenna (you bang out 7 digits in 2 seconds flat on one of those things and if you weren't home you didn't get calls cause the phone was at home), mid size cars were as big as todays sub compacts and hardly any SUV's existed (family truckster wagons were available though, woodgrain and all), computers were stupid and totally useless on the consumer level, and hardly anybody had one (we had a Commodore 64 though), to get anywhere you had to read a map, books were made of paper, lights were a nice warm color, batteries lasted a day maybe... etc etc...

I use the tech stuff of today cause what else am I supposed to do - it's our modern culture. I often hope for a surprise EMP from space, but fat chance on that...

EDIT: Oh yea, and another thing - A camera didn't take 12 seconds to take a picture back then with all the flashing and clicking at a snails pace as you miss your shot, it just went click/flash and you could time it almost exactly if you were good..
Trick is to know how to get along with out that sh!t, and use it cuz you can.
chrisncate and Jgbrown like this.
Old 07-15-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
jg, you are the exception that proves the rule, and you realize that as well when you take a look at your peer group.
You have absolutely nothing to defend or justify- we here know who you are.
You walk the walk.
Hell, he still thinks i am an assh ole because i jerked his chain a few months back but i gotta give props to peterchech as well- another young dude who is bucking the trend and not offering any "yeah, but"s.
The more it changes. The more it stays the same. There are majority and minority in every age group, same as there always has been. I'm nothing special, I'm lazy, I follow what other people do, instead of truly striking out on my own and I screw up with astonishing regularity, there are some crazy motivated and awesome people in my age group though.
I think some of the movements(not the occupy or other whinging nonsense) will make a big change. Not through "raising awareness" but through making life around them a little better, or creating something unique. There's a group who started a non profit workshop around here for example. Access for people like me to the kinds of tools we could never afford on our own.
Everything from industrial sewing machines, to metal and wood and plastic working shops.

I shouldn't have responded the way I did I suppose, we were both being too serious. Though I won't go back and edit it, teach me to go off in a public forum maybe. Just having a cranky day I guess.

You are a bit sometimes. You yanked my chain a couple times too, but it's all fun in the end, once understanding is reached. I was working on my grand exit post, but I guess I'll save it as a draft for now.
chrisncate likes this.