The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

"The baby boomers had the world given to them on a plate so they took advantage. "
"College debt...
Last generation graduated with virtually none...this generation has a too much. "

I guess I must have been standing in the wrong line, didn't even get the plate... and apart from a few trust fund types, every boomer I know has worked their a$$es off their whole life.
Apparently there are a lot of recent college graduates that are just starting to realize that college loans need to be repaid, and with the job market so bad I'm sure this is somewhat of a contributing factor, how much I don't know.
I'm sitting here writing this while looking at my son's beautiful cruising boat out on our mooring, while he's working hard to make ends meet for his family, and doesn't even have time to use it (and we all know how the market is for trying to sell a boat now). IMO, it's entirely the economy and high unemployment rate that is reducing the number of younger people that are cruising.
RichH and wayina like this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

New boat's are for the well off, period. All the used boats out there are for the young'ns and less off. $2500, a trip to the used boat equipment store and some elbow grease is all you need to get a good little 30 foot sloop.
SloopJonB, elspru, slax and 1 others like this.
Old 06-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen-deckard View Post
Economy sucks the young are being hit the hardest and in any form sailing is a luxury even in a smaller cheaper boat.
Spot on - they don't have reliable, well paid employment so they are unwilling to commit to a long term financial involvement. Much easier to buy high tech toys that can move with them if (when) they lose their McJob.

Quote:
On the flip side young people want to go faster in everything they do and sailing will never fit that bill.
I don't know about that - the BB were the ones that muscle cars were manufactured for but they still bought lots of sailboats too.

There are lots of kids that like sailing, they just can't afford the commitment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
You didn't see lots of people in their 20s cruising before, or since, that generation. The baby boomers had the world given to them on a plate so they took advantage. And of course screwed everything for generations to come but that's for a different forum
Gen X'er I presume?
Travelnik and Docsnuz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-30-2012

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
To add to yankee's point, nothing can compete with the xbox/play station. those things are like heroin for kids.
Old 06-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Ironically, it was the only thing i could afford to do. On a good day my boat has never been worth more that $5,000. I inheritad it, but none the less, What if i paid the price of a good used car for it and moved a board. When I was 23, I had no rent, no bills, none! food, but i deliverd tacos on my bike and ate at the resturaunt, but other than that none!! because I lived on a little sloop in the bay behind Miami beach. When i didn't have any money to enjoy town, i would go sailing, it was free, still is.
skaterp14 likes this.
Old 06-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS123 View Post
I'll Argus that Boats have Become bigger and more complex.

The 20 something's of yore might have sailed a Lido 14 with other young couples. When they were in their 30s, they bought a "cruising" boat - perhaps a Schock 25 ftr. Just enough to weekend. By the time they were in their 50s, they had made the big plunge and moved up to a huge boat - a Santana 30.

These days, a 30 ftr is sold as a 'tiny' boat.
Agreed - I routinely see 35' - 38' boats listed as "entry level". When was the last time any of you were on a cruising boat that had no "house" electrical system, only engine charging? Oil lamps are merely decoration now. All the comforts of home are expected before spending time on a boat now.

I blame the women.
jrd22 likes this.

Old 06-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
New boat's are for the well off, period. All the used boats out there are for the young'ns and less off. $2500, a trip to the used boat equipment store and some elbow grease is all you need to get a good little 30 foot sloop.
That's true but you are also locked in to moorage, insurance, haulouts etc. etc.

Without secure, well paid employment, it's a commitment few are willing to make.

Old 06-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
"The baby boomers had the world given to them on a plate so they took advantage. "
"College debt...
Last generation graduated with virtually none...this generation has a too much. "

I guess I must have been standing in the wrong line, didn't even get the plate... and apart from a few trust fund types, every boomer I know has worked their a$$es off their whole life.
Apparently there are a lot of recent college graduates that are just starting to realize that college loans need to be repaid, and with the job market so bad I'm sure this is somewhat of a contributing factor, how much I don't know.
My wife & I were in that same line.

College debt is WAY more than it was for us though. AFAIAC far too many people go to University these days - a degree has been rendered far less valuable and meaningful through this process - a bachelors degree is the new high school diploma and far too many of them are never used in any meaningful way. They are merely a very expensive entry on a resume.

University should be for scholars and academics, not "everyman" job training - it does a very poor job of that in most cases. Why should a car sales rep need a Bcomm degree? A Ba to be a realtor?

Old 06-30-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

There are a few out here in the Eastern Carribbean including one US couple who bought an old Tartan 34 out here for less than $10k and are starting off on a two year adventure hopefully finishing up back in the USA before having to go back to work.

I helped them fix their old Johnson and showed them how to cook breadfruit.

Talking about why they chose to do this they said they thought it would be safer than backpacking around the world.

Last edited by TQA; 06-30-2012 at 04:27 PM.