The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 20 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree535Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #191  
Old 07-15-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 377
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Yup





Well, there is a saying: "may you live in interesting times", it's a chinese curse..

I am an old fart at heart at 39 - I don't want any of this crap really, I like tech from about 1987 backwards. I like cassette tapes (I could tape anything I wanted without worrying about being busted for piracy, the only drawback was the DJ's voice over the beginning of the song. Well, that and rewinding and fast forwarding...), our various cordless house phones were the indestructible beige ones with the pull out antenna (you bang out 7 digits in 2 seconds flat on one of those things and if you weren't home you didn't get calls cause the phone was at home), mid size cars were as big as todays sub compacts and hardly any SUV's existed (family truckster wagons were available though, woodgrain and all), computers were stupid and totally useless on the consumer level, and hardly anybody had one (we had a Commodore 64 though), to get anywhere you had to read a map, books were made of paper, lights were a nice warm color, batteries lasted a day maybe... etc etc...

I use the tech stuff of today cause what else am I supposed to do - it's our modern culture. I often hope for a surprise EMP from space, but fat chance on that...

EDIT: Oh yea, and another thing - A camera didn't take 12 seconds to take a picture back then with all the flashing and clicking at a snails pace as you miss your shot, it just went click/flash and you could time it almost exactly if you were good..

Shrug. I have all my music in a tougher drive than a cassette. If it breaks, I go without until I can swap in a backup drive(30 seconds if I have one handy). No rewinding with a pencil, or magnetic heads getting cranky.
Mid sized cars were definitely not that small. A sedan today, and a sedan from the 80s are very similar. A geo metro is still the same size too.
I rode to Panama with 2 cheap maps. Worked fine talking to people on the road instead. more fun than that new fangled detailed folding maps.
Warm lights exist, but they use 10% of the power and last 100x longer at least.

That EMP would knock out those old warm light bulbs, and destroy just about any vehicles ignition system, computerized or not. They'd scramble your tapes too.

Bad cameras did, and they jammed, and they had light leaks, and sticky shutters, etc etc. Good Cameras didn't. That hasn't changed either. Good cameras focus and shoot faster than any manual shooter.
Timing still works, you can even shoot that pre-focused instant shoot style if you know your gear.
For example I assigned a second button on the back to spool up anti-shake, as I'm raising it to my eye, lens is prefocused by hand for the range I'll be hitting, half press to final focus and shoot. Or if it's bright out, f8 and be there still applies.

No way I can shoot that fast, or with those kinds of shutter speeds with film.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #192  
Old 07-15-2012
chrisncate's Avatar
prwg, NOW!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,639
Thanks: 18
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 5
chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Naa, no worries - I got a thick skin, S/N gave me calluses a long time ago and now I can play for hours with little to no pain.. On a scale of 1-10 on the "offensive to me" post level, your post(s) to me were about a 0.1 ... you're all good

PM some pics of that A-30 of yours sometime, I'd like to see her. I have some experience in doing a little work here and there on my A-30, let me know if you ever need any insight as you refit her
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #193  
Old 07-15-2012
chrisncate's Avatar
prwg, NOW!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,639
Thanks: 18
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 5
chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Shrug. I have all my music in a tougher drive than a cassette. If it breaks, I go without until I can swap in a backup drive(30 seconds if I have one handy). No rewinding with a pencil, or magnetic heads getting cranky.
Mid sized cars were definitely not that small. A sedan today, and a sedan from the 80s are very similar. A geo metro is still the same size too.
I rode to Panama with 2 cheap maps. Worked fine talking to people on the road instead. more fun than that new fangled detailed folding maps.
Warm lights exist, but they use 10% of the power and last 100x longer at least.

That EMP would knock out those old warm light bulbs, and destroy just about any vehicles ignition system, computerized or not. They'd scramble your tapes too.

Bad cameras did, and they jammed, and they had light leaks, and sticky shutters, etc etc. Good Cameras didn't. That hasn't changed either. Good cameras focus and shoot faster than any manual shooter.
Timing still works, you can even shoot that pre-focused instant shoot style if you know your gear.
For example I assigned a second button on the back to spool up anti-shake, as I'm raising it to my eye, lens is prefocused by hand for the range I'll be hitting, half press to final focus and shoot. Or if it's bright out, f8 and be there still applies.

No way I can shoot that fast, or with those kinds of shutter speeds with film.
Slide an 87 Honda Accord up next to a Toyota Yaris of today, and tell me what you see.. cars are truly very different today.

The rest, well.. I still want to take a flying delorean back to 1985 someday. I'm old fashioned I guess
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #194  
Old 07-15-2012
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

The day I truly got in touch with my inner idiot was the day I started being honest with myself. Now, I only lie to myself about really important stuff, Nothing important has presented itself. Old dudes are here to yank our chains, ( that sounded weird).. but they are here to show us how serious things are'nt, and to make us think. Dudes have been setting out to sea longer than we can recall, before we aknowledge it happened. None of us are really breaking ground here, we're just keeping alive an art form that needs to remembered and passed on. JG is carrying the tourch now as I did, and Brent before me, and Robin G before him, and Slocum did to remind us of what we've alway's done... Gone to to Sea.
chrisncate and Jgbrown like this.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-15-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #195  
Old 07-15-2012
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

In 1988, I drove around a '79 monte carlo, had a mullet. my arm around the Swedish exchange student, listening to REO speedwagon.....cassete that had been eaten, and taped back together with scotch tape. Gas was $1.14 a gal.
Jgbrown likes this.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-15-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #196  
Old 07-15-2012
chrisncate's Avatar
prwg, NOW!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,639
Thanks: 18
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 5
chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
The day I truly got in touch with my inner idiot was the day I started being honest with myself. Now, I only lie to myself about really important stuff, Nothing important has presented itself. Old dudes are here to yank our chains, ( that sounded weird).. but they are here to show us how serious things are'nt, and to make us think. Dudes have been setting out to sea longer than we can recall, before we aknowledge it happened. None of us are really breaking ground here, we're just keeping alive an art form that needs to remembered and passed on. JG is carrying the tourch now as I did, and Brent before me, and Robin G before him, and Slocum did to remind us of what we've alway's done... Gone to to Sea.
Yup, well said.

I ain't going to sea anytime soon (the honest with myself thing), but I can refit you a boat to take to sea that'll make others droll and Neptune proud. We all have our place in this sailing thing, everything counts
Capt.aaron and Jgbrown like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #197  
Old 07-15-2012
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Yup, well said.

I ain't going to sea anytime soon (the honest with myself thing), but I can refit you a boat to take to sea that'll make others droll and Neptune proud. We all have our place in this sailing thing, everything counts
Well would you come down here and finish mine!! I'm on my fith refit with this thing and I'm tired and busy.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #198  
Old 07-15-2012
chrisncate's Avatar
prwg, NOW!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,639
Thanks: 18
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 5
chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
In 1988, I drove around a '79 monte carlo, had a mullet. my arm around the Swedish exchange student, listening to REO speedwagon.....cassete that had been eaten, and taped back together with scotch tape. Gas was $1.14 a gal.
I got my DL in 88, first car was a Vette.































CHEvette that is...

Capt.aaron likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #199  
Old 07-15-2012
sww914's Avatar
Aspiring to be a Mexican
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: La Cruz de Hunacaxtle, Mexico
Posts: 541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 6
sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Many outdoor activities aren't involving young people anymore, they're accustomed to instant everything at the twitch of their thumbs. Virtual friends, virtual sports, virtual relationships, virtual jobs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #200  
Old 07-15-2012
chrisncate's Avatar
prwg, NOW!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,639
Thanks: 18
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 5
chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Well would you come down here and finish mine!! I'm on my fith refit with this thing and I'm tired and busy.
Key West?

Yes, yes I will...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many young people (say 35 or under)out there irwin325cc General Discussion (sailing related) 420 05-28-2014 09:07 PM
Sailing adventure enjoyed by local young people NewsReader News Feeds 0 05-25-2012 09:20 AM
How Many Young People (say 36 or over) Are Out There? DRFerron General Discussion (sailing related) 28 08-04-2011 03:11 PM
Mark Pillsbury reviews the Bavaria 30 for the 2007 Cruising World ... - Cruising World NewsReader News Feeds 0 01-16-2007 05:15 PM
Cruising World Announces 2007 Boat of the Year Nominees - Cruising World NewsReader News Feeds 0 10-06-2006 04:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012