The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 21 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Well, if you can work on the hook with now electricity, hand tools, almost no pay and live on the boat with a 2 mile kayak to town I welcome you!!
Old 07-15-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Hmm.. you say that like it's a bad thing...

I'd wind up driving you nuts, I'm sure. I have some, uh... eccentricities..

Snueman can back me up on that prolly..

How am I gonna paint yr hull in the water though?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Oh. I'm all painted, It's the interior that's driving me nuts.
Old 07-15-2012
prwg, NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Oh. I'm all painted, It's the interior that's driving me nuts.
Epic thread jack in progress...

PM me sometime when you get a chance, lemme know what's up with your interior (stumper? Or just not feeling like doing it?).
Old 07-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Epic thread jack in progress...

PM me sometime when you get a chance, lemme know what's up with your interior (stumper? Or just not feeling like doing it?).
Just don't feel like it. Hull is sound and painted awl grip, Rig is new and sta-lock top and bottom, Interior is half ass as alway's. Home Depot cushoins and a light for reading.
Old 07-15-2012
prwg, NOW!

Quote:
Just don't feel like it. Hull is sound and painted awl grip, Rig is new and sta-lock top and bottom, Interior is half ass as alway's. Home Depot cushoins and a light for reading.
If you're single, your boat's done it sounds like..

Smash some grey butyl into/onto those bottom sta locks to help keep water from settling in them...
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 07-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

I'm not single but she's salty.... Ya, I'm a rigger so that part is sound, I'm not Martha Stewart so that part is comfortable enough, barely. But getting back on topic, the point is, what do these young'ns really need to get out there? Not a whole hell of a lot. The chosen few will do it, like JG. The rest are the indoorsy type any way's. I alway's say, thank's to all the people who stay in town so I have nice towns to visit.
Old 07-15-2012
prwg, NOW!

Quote:
I'm not single but she's salty.... Ya, I'm a rigger so that part is sound, I'm not Martha Stewart so that part is comfortable enough, barely. But getting back on topic, the point is, what do these young'ns really need to get out there? Not a whole hell of a lot. The chosen few will do it, like JG. The rest are the indoorsy type any way's. I alway's say, thank's to all the people who stay in town so I have nice towns to visit.
They only need the will to do so, and there is something to be said for the fact that maybe it is actually a good thing that the interest is not there in outdoors stuff, for the kids coming up right now.

I have noticed the lineup (surfing lingo for where surfer sit waiting for waves) is emptier now than it was in the 80's and 90's (where I surf anyway)..
Old 07-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Surfing? I think theres an app for that now. I read that in one of those paper magizines you used to see everywhere.
Old 07-15-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
They only need the will to do so, and there is something to be said for the fact that maybe it is actually a good thing that the interest is not there in outdoors stuff, for the kids coming up right now.

I have noticed the lineup (surfing lingo for where surfer sit waiting for waves) is emptier now than it was in the 80's and 90's (where I surf anyway)..
It's also the hassles and expenses.
As an example I rented a double kayak to go camping on a place I remembered visiting as a kid. I wanted to go back to that island with my girlfriend at the time. 75$/day for the kayak, then all the parking anywhere it was possible to launch from was either no more than 1 hr parking or expensive per day parking to make a bit for the city off those freeloading un-powered boat users(no ramp fees if you launch a kayak on a beach). 10$/day for the parking.
We paid and thought at least the camping on the beach will be good, we brought a small ultralight tarp and no tent.
after a good 8 hr paddle we arrived where we planned to stay only to get chased off for trying to sleep on the beach with our kayak and a small tarp.
The big power boats would come right up close to the shore and BBQ next to us, drink and blast their stereos with the generators running, anchoring to shore and going back and forth to the beach in powered tenders.
We were ordered to move to a campsite, where you must stay within 7'x7' squares made out of 4"x4" boards, in the middle of a field, no shade, and no ocean with neighbors a couple feet away.
For 30$/day(15$ each) .

Add in gas to get to the launch point, and we're talking over 300$ for a 2 day trip, in a plastic kayak.

Of course we just moved a bit down the beach, buried the kayak and stealth camped but I wasn't pleased.

The surf areas are getting that way too, we tried to camp near one of those as well, paid camping, paid parking.
The only free camping left was to drive to some logging roads about 45 min away, out past the landfill for the town.
Still worse are the no access at all areas, and there are more of them all the time. It was one of the things my girlfriend disagreed with the most strongly, the organization she worked for created a lot of these areas, and as a biologist she felt it was unjustified, and forcing people to spend less and less time outdoors for no benefit other than appeasing the environmental nuts.

Day use, close to town is the way that almost everything is being driven, even for those who do want to do outdoors stuff still, just because it is slightly more affordable. The gear stores see this, expedition style gear is going away, in favor of lightweight inexpensive day packs, and rack after rack of "outdoor style" clothing.

Those lessons, like from the powerboats and the way I see things moving for more regulation, and squeezing every possible angle for generating revenue off anyone who wants to go outdoors also influenced my decision to buy a boat I could live on, if I'm not on land it's harder for them to tell me I can't be there.
wingNwing likes this.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 07-15-2012 at 03:23 PM.