The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 25 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dc4ip View Post
My industry is one where someone with a little intelligence and a lot of drive can go from making minimum wage to making six figures within 5 years, easily. I know this because I did it, and my cousin who I got started in the business 6 months behind me, is in the same situation.

The 24 hour news cycle and information overload society that require everyone to constantly be updated on everyone else status instantly means we spend so much less time doing and more time watching everyone else do. Couple that with the government and corporations constantly instilling fear in people so they buy now, spend now, get more, upgrade, and we see why people can't get ahead or even keep up. I'm doing very well by most people's standards, but I see what's coming and know that I need to keep working harder and harder just to maintain.
Surely you can see the dichotemy in your post.

I think you're missing the point. Adventure...on a sailboat...is relatively cheap. It's just really hard.

The question is...can you handle it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I anchor near where I have the home mades, and snorkle down an retreve my line. it's in about 10 feet of clear sub, tropical water. I used to mark it with and old lobster trap bouy, but came back and found some fisherman tied to it, so now i just cast off and let the line sink. For a year i was tied to just one of the feet, but i would drag a little in a big blow as the bottom is hard, Not very good holding, The other day I daisy chained the other piece to the first one. They are not for traveling. I also have another mooring in the creek that is four Dumb bells chained together. Each way's 100 pounds, so collectivly they way 400. but can be man handled individually. I scored those off the back of the tug boat i work on, some big dude used to work out with them. Those Are great as a centinal. So you anchor with say, a 70 pound danforth, but shackle the dumbells mid scope. It's not a mooring, but as good as. I've been skirting around this illeagal mooring law for over 20 years and have never had a problem. the law here is, you have to be able to raise it if they tell you to, if you can raise it, then it's not a mooring. My car lift feet kind of look like anchors, I' would have to swim down and un shackle one from the other to raise it, but i can raise it. I actually have them set up like centinals as I have 30 feet of chain running north from them with a 45 danforth on the other end. Marking it with a bouy does'nt classify it as a mooring. I used to cast off my anchor and leave it marked with a bouy. lot's of people here do that. They buy a 100 pound anchor and leave it marked. It's not a mooring, just really big anchor.
We should get a beer sometime, I think we'd get along well.
Capt.aaron and Jgbrown like this.
Old 07-21-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road

Agreed, I say we will spend less money cruising for two years than if we back packed for two years. Plus we get to have our dog with us.

I do find it funny now when surrounded by our peers, they are jealous because we live in the tropics and have found a way to manage our trip into our lives.

We all work and some of us are driven. Why do we gen Yers believe that the prescribed way is the only way. I get a bit confused by the mentality that there is only one way to achieve a goal, through a job and making money. I never had lots of money or amazing opportunity given to me, and I never had a good job. But I am out here cruising. I am obviously wired a bit different, I just wonder what it is like to be wired the other way I guess.
smackdaddy likes this.

Old 07-21-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
We should get a beer sometime, I think we'd get along well.
Or 2 or 3 or 12. Come on down some time. we'll shoot the sh!t.
Old 07-21-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Young Mommy's like to sail as much as OWG (old white guys)

Old 07-21-2012

w00dc4ip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Surely you can see the dichotemy in your post.
I do, the point isn't lost on me. Hard work is the same, whether it's maintaining a cruising lifestyle on a shoestring budget, or rising through the ranks in corporate or industrial workplaces. Hard work and ambition are the same, the will to pursue some goal, whatever it may be, needs to be there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I think you're missing the point. Adventure...on a sailboat...is relatively cheap. It's just really hard.

The question is...can you handle it?
Adventure, on a sailboat, is something I can only look forward to at the moment, and I do look forward to it. For now I'm locked into the life my wife wants, with our house in the suburbs, near our families, raising our two little girls.

At the moment I'm very successful by society's standards, but I need to keep working more and more and producing more and more in order to maintain this lifestyle. By the time I'm ready to leave it all behind and spend a few years sailing, I'd like to have the sailing experience under my belt to make such a move realistic, but getting that experience seems prohibitively expensive where I live. I'm attempting to convince my wife we should move somewhere coastal, soon but not yet. Also, I'll need to get my wife and kids comfortable on a boat. It's not the money or the difficulty in cruising that bothers me, but the one thing I'm not willing to leave behind to go cruising is my family. I'd leave the house, car, job, success, career and everything else in a heartbeat, without thinking twice about it or looking back.
Old 07-22-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dc4ip View Post
I do, the point isn't lost on me. Hard work is the same, whether it's maintaining a cruising lifestyle on a shoestring budget, or rising through the ranks in corporate or industrial workplaces. Hard work and ambition are the same, the will to pursue some goal, whatever it may be, needs to be there.

Adventure, on a sailboat, is something I can only look forward to at the moment, and I do look forward to it. For now I'm locked into the life my wife wants, with our house in the suburbs, near our families, raising our two little girls.

At the moment I'm very successful by society's standards, but I need to keep working more and more and producing more and more in order to maintain this lifestyle. By the time I'm ready to leave it all behind and spend a few years sailing, I'd like to have the sailing experience under my belt to make such a move realistic, but getting that experience seems prohibitively expensive where I live. I'm attempting to convince my wife we should move somewhere coastal, soon but not yet. Also, I'll need to get my wife and kids comfortable on a boat. It's not the money or the difficulty in cruising that bothers me, but the one thing I'm not willing to leave behind to go cruising is my family. I'd leave the house, car, job, success, career and everything else in a heartbeat, without thinking twice about it or looking back.
Colour me confused here, but if you're putting away 6 figures, sailing isn't that expensive?
Also, what business is that where you can ramp up that quickly in 5 years?

Capt.Aaron, I might have to pick your brains about the huge anchor idea, I could probably do something similar, and that would take a huge financial load off that I could put towards upkeep of the boat, instead of someone else's pockets. I have no problem diving down, heck I could probably build a 4x4' frame, cover it in rocks and then move the rocks when it's time to up anchor!

I also looked at those screw in mooring posts, but was worried that with enough swinging it would undo, and the legal side of it as well.
Old 07-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Colour me confused here, but if you're putting away 6 figures, sailing isn't that expensive?

Capt.Aaron, I might have to pick your brains about the huge anchor idea, I could probably do something similar, and that would take a huge financial load off that I could put towards upkeep of the boat, instead of someone else's pockets. I have no problem diving down, heck I could probably build a 4x4' frame, cover it in rocks and then move the rocks when it's time to up anchor!

I also looked at those screw in mooring posts, but was worried that with enough swinging it would undo, and the legal side of it as well.
I use large anchors by most standards. My regular cruising anchor is a 50 pound CQR with 100 feet of 5/8 (yes 5/8 chain). I raise that by hand. My storm anchor is 70 pound danforth with 100 feet of said 5/8 chain. That's a lot for a 28 foot boat. But I don't drag. My bow is heavy, but I don't get tossed around in a big sea as much either. I keep the danforth in a stern laz, that I modified the hatch so i can fit in. My lunch hook is a 35 pound Danforth with 30 feet of 3/8 chain and 100 feet of 1/2 inch 3 strand. If it's legal to anchor in your bay, spend the money on a 100 pound anchor, what ever, a Navy anchor probably, 30 feet up the rhode, shackle 2, 100 pound dumbels as centinals, a little more chain, then some hearty 3 strand. You have to know exactly where it is and be good at swimming down to get it. The 3 strand will sink. If anchoring is legal, this is legal. If you have windless, you can raise it. If not, you and 2 freinds can raise it. I don't know how on it the water nazis up there are but it sounds like they are pretty bad. Worse case is they accuse you of an illegal mooring and you have to raise it to prove it's not. Maybe you have to move it with the help of 2 buddy's every week, so what, move it.
Jgbrown and elspru like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-22-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2012

dan catalyst is on a distinguished road

im a younger guy, and i see lots of people my age sailing. ive been boat shoping and have been shown boats by people my own ago about 50% of the time, a girl my age was selling a catalina 27, a guy with a seidelman 25 and a younger like 17-18 year old guy with a py23 that knew more about sailing than the others. the younger crowd just posts more over on sailing anarchy,mostly about how to sail clipper marines in the ocean and how to break daddy's carbon mast in the roaring 40's non stop solo-circing a open 40
elspru likes this.
Old 07-30-2012

w00dc4ip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Not to go into my monthly budget here, but my income supports my family living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood in a very expensive city and state. We have everything we need and most things we want without struggle. My income is low six figures, but six figures none the less. I'm careful with my money, which is how we're able to live comfortably. I work hard and I work a lot, which is why it's difficult for me to try to justify spending 10,000-15,000 a year on sailing (figure that much would cover the mooring / storage / insurance / upkeep in Chicago), when I'd probably only get out a few times in the season. As much as I really want to go sailing, keeping my family happy and healthy (financially healthy as well) is more important. Also, I have no debt other than a mortgage. I'm not saying I can't afford a boat and the cost of sailing in Chicago, it's just really expensive to the point of being absurd, and all for a relatively short sailing season.

Entertainment technology is the industry where someone can ramp up that quickly, and anyone can do it. It takes a little brainpower and a whole lot of drive, but it doesn't require a degree of any sort. You just need to be willing to work all hours, get dirty, learn fast, and occasionally work in mildly dangerous environments. If anything, my experience in this industry has taught me that it's easy to walk away from a career and come back to it or new one later. I walked away from a 200k/year career in IT in 2003 to start in this industry, because I got tired of IT. People with drive will always rise in the ranks quickly beyond the lazy people who wonder why everyone else keep "getting all the breaks".