The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 27 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I dunno the answers, but it's my thought that the biggest difference between "now" and "then" is the Baby Boomer's were reared by a Generation of folks that believed it was more important for their children to exceed everywhere they had went and obtained everything they never had. Sadly, that just doesn't seem to be the case now. It's become "the norm" to say things like, 'Heck with the kids, go out and enjoy yourself' and I'm not one to argue the right or wrong of that statement. I'm just pointing out that it exists. For anyone to believe that the student loans they graduated in 1975 with were "just like" the ones today is living in a fantasy world. I mean, come one, we're handing these kids a world where a basic & boring new car will cost them over $20k, a "starter home" over $150k and yet we expect them to earn the same income that was offered in 1980. The math just simply won't work out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Hmmm..., kind of an old topic I see, but interesting all the same.

I'm 33. I've been passionate about boats and sailing since a very young age. Would love nothing more than to cruise the world. Sorta wish I took a couple years in my 20s to do it, though I had zero money back then. And anyway, I then met the woman of the dreams, got married, had a child....

Absent some independent source of income, it's just not possible for us to go cruising the world. We sail on the weekends, will charter down south, and hopefully will retire relatively young to a boat after the kid(s) is/are off on their own.

I don't get how young people go "cruise the world" absent some outside financial assistance. I was lucky to have college tuition picked up for me, but I was otherwise broke through my 20s and lived paycheck to paycheck, barely.
peoples1234 likes this.
Old 09-11-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

There are a few factors at work

The economy:
I think it is the disappearing middle class. I it is not just young people, but middle age as well. People don't have the disposable income they used to.

The new generation:
The kids today want it now. They grew up with it being normal to fly places. I am in my late 40's and it was still fairly uncommon for my generation to fly somewhere for vacation.

The kids today don't have the attention span it takes to sail. Perhaps if we put a bunch of flashing lights and buzzers it would keep there attention. Perhaps some of the new boats with joystick controlled docking might interest them. Why actually sail when they can sail in a virtual world?

It is not online and connected, especially in the open ocean.

Back to the economy:
Young people have hundreds of thousands in debit by the time they get there degree.
Old 09-11-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

I blame the women.
This is always your safest bet.
Old 09-11-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road

Sailing is perceived as a "wealthy" sport and a complicated sport. My power boater friends that would come out with me and asked "you really know what all those ropes and things do?". My kids friends would say we are rich because we have a sailboat (wait till I get the bigger one!).

Access to the water is challenging, marinas are very expensive, dinghy access to shore is expensive and anchoring laws are threatening to decrease access even further. Add very aggressive and growing mob of government thugs on the water, the cost of the endeavor and it will run most off.

The only way to preserve sailing is for the community to value it. Support youth sailing programs (not just racing but cruising also). Support the Sea Scouts.
Capt. Gary Randall likes this.
Old 09-11-2012

ahab211 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime! I have A C&C 24 and just do day sailing on Lake St. Claire. Have fun and good luck!
Old 09-12-2012

ted.great.lakes is on a distinguished road

Any of you seasoned sailors have any advice on a first timer heading to Cuba?
Old 09-12-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

hello Ted, where will you be leaving from, Florida?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-12-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road

Ted,

Go and the most important thing is to take canadian dollars of euros. Then stuff will be cheap, but exchanging US is an expensive ordeal. Plus cruise the south coast and brush up on your spanish.

Old 09-12-2012

Gone Global is on a distinguished road

We are in our 20's and we are out here doing it! Loving every minute of it and wondering why I didn't leave sooner. Everyone has a different dream in life and this dream isn't a reality for everyone. Young people now a days seem to like things more than adventure or experiences. On top of that college debt was already mentioned. I have a lot of friends that would love to be out here and look back on poor decisions earlier in life. Fancy cars, big houses, college debt, credit cards. The reasons are endless. I personally feel that people bought way more than their means. Young people were capable of getting loans much greater than they could ever afford. To each their own.
elspru likes this.