The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 29 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012

IamJohnGalt is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

the reason?

to quote Jimmy McMillan:

"Cause the rent is too damn high"

That being said, working on it. It's hard when you don't have money to buy a boat. Willing to do what it takes though. I want to own a boat in the next two years.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agri View Post
That's not exactly telling Society to f@%$ off.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
okay, that's kinda funny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-17-2012

Mudtimud is on a distinguished road

I'm a 22 year old Singaporean and I'll be graduating in 2 years. The cost of living here is high. Although the tuition fees are subsidised, the property prices here are out of control. Even a standard 3 room government high rise apartment costs half a million USD. To buy a car, we are required to bid for a certificate of entitlement which costs us 70-80 USD on top of the actual price of the car. That's why the rat race for better jobs starts from a young age, where parents struggle to send their kids to good schools and students at universities clammer for honours degrees to get ahead in the game, ahead of the inflation swell.

Now I have spoken to many students my age about their hopes and dreams, and in my opinion, it's kinda sad that almost all the time it's work related. Most young folks are so intimidated by the massive financial obstacle that they lose grip of any desire of adventure.

I crave for adventure, but I face the same obstacles. The question, in this context, comes down to what are you willing give up. For me, I've decided never to get my own apartment/car before I purchased and maintained a stable balance sheet of owning my very own bluewater voyager, which as itself will become my apartment. It is unlikely that I'll sustain any form of long term employment thereafter, given the nature of circumnavigation voyages.

In other words, I will be giving up the typical career-paved-settling-down-with-wife-and-kids future every singaporean parent would want for their kids. Not many are willing to give that up, not as a matured adult you are supposed to become.

My friends tell me my head is still up in the clouds, and it's a matter of time before I grow out of my dreams. I dread the day I realise how unrealistic my dreams are, but until then, I'll keep moving towards my current perception of the life I so desire.

The world is shrinking faster than ever, and sailors, voyagers, circumnavigators, adventurers become a fast vanishing breed. Why travel then you can walk the trails of the Grand Canyon, dive the depths of the Great Barrier Reef with Google? I have been searching high and low for like-minded folks to pursue this common goal with but it has so far been fruitless.
elspru likes this.
Old 12-17-2012

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I couldn't get through this entire thread but was glad to see that many on here are just working stiffs like me with old boats that went for short money.

I think that I am in good company

My comment on young people cruising...
I think that most of us were too busy making ends meet at that stage in our lives to really enjoy any free time that we had. I personally had a Bayliner that would allow me to zoom out to the islands to let the kids swim or zoom out to where the fish were at sunset, etc... (you get the picture)The ones that sailed (or sail) at a young age have a real passion for it. By the time most of us realize that the ride is much more enjoyable than the destination we find ourselves already forty-something knocking on fifty.

Just my $.02
Old 12-17-2012

The Desserters is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
The idea of what's fun has changed for kids. Few of them know how to work with their hands or find that a desirable thing to do. That's probably why more are not fixing up older boats as we used to do. They are all programmed from birth now to shoot for some career goal. Then they get in HUGE debt due to the utterly outrageous cost of the big college scam. Kids are on a treadmill in our sick society and have no time to be kids anymore.
For us, (32 & 24) I have to agree. Video games and computers are now the primary means of both entertainment AND making money. The idea and joy of working with your hands is something I was deterred from growing up. The youth today are encouraged to learn about technology in order to make a place for themselves in the world. Paige and I decided we didn't want that for ourselves and now in spite of being told we'll "never make it big" we are returning to a simpler life. We are learning to sail (although lessons are tough to fit into the budget) knit and crochet, farm, raise bees, and continue to love baking from scratch (no boxed batters for us!)
We tried the SF Bay Area (after living in the New Mexico desert) but can't afford boating and living. Once we move a little further north we'll try to buy a boat on which we can do both. In short, the youth has different priorities now and many have forgotten or never experienced the joy of stepping out from in front of a screen.
As for the future...I could go off for pages on my predictions so I'll keep it short. Eventually, we'll run out of oil. No more planes, no more super-tankers. Sailing will be the way to see the world and wanderlust will breath new life into it.
elspru likes this.
Old 12-17-2012

wanttosail is on a distinguished road

I'm in my 20's and have not yet started sailing but want to badly. Two reasons I haven't started yet, I have lived in Colorado my whole life (enough said).

After graduating college I immediatly got a good job with my degree and I am still working there five years later. For the last year+ I have wanted to move to the coast and start sailing. What is really holding me back is the fact that I can't get myself to quit my good professional job, its the "American Dream" to be a professional and have a career and lots of money and a house etc. A lot of friends and family tell me I'm crazy that I'd quit my job to be a sailboat bum and follow whatever path the wind would take me.

In other words, some of us younger people with our careers out of college and the money to buy a boat and start sailing are to busy making more money and advancing their career, its time consuming. On the flip side a lot of my college buddies are still working college type low paying jobs and paying off their student debts therefor unable to buy a boat.
Old 12-18-2012

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

I didn't read the whole thread but I have 2 college aged kids. I agree with much of what's said, money is a little tighter for them, jobs will be a little tougher. But overall, I don't think sailing and kids has changed much at all.

Mine are both sailors, many of their friends are. Many go off sailing in smaller cheaper boats than we(their parents) sail in today. Some are going down the coast on winter breaks, some are crossing oceans as crew.

Like myself, I don't expect any of them to be able to afford the costs of owning a cruising sized sailboat and it's related costs for some time(I didn't until my upper 30's). Boats are cheaper to buy today but ownership costs are on the rise.

Another thing that's my own speculation; cruising, the style of the 60's and 70's, may not be as popular today and in coming decades.

But I don't see any drop in the popularity of sailing from my generation to the present. Local programs and participation seems to be on the rise.

What has changed; I don't know of one of these kids that goes on any of the sailing forums I frequent. My kids refer to my forums as "dads chat rooms"
Old 12-18-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

The OP reminds me of something...
Oh! yeah..that's it... sorry.. O F syndrome.

Kinda like ya see (virtually) nuthin' but old geezers ridin' Harleys. Some ride dresser Hondas or Beemers and such. Very few youngsters can afford a Harley, et al....or even want one, for that matter

The boats I drooled over back some 30 yr ago are now the "classics" and are finally affordable to my purse......some of them
Old 12-18-2012

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
The OP reminds me of something...
Oh! yeah..that's it... sorry.. O F syndrome.

Kinda like ya see (virtually) nuthin' but old geezers ridin' Harleys. Some ride dresser Hondas or Beemers and such. Very few youngsters can afford a Harley, et al....or even want one, for that matter

The boats I drooled over back some 30 yr ago are now the "classics" and are finally affordable to my purse......some of them
Yeah, then we old geezers start saying, "Whatever happened to riding motorcycles?", then one goes by at 150mph that cost a couple grand used. That's the kind of bike the kids I know ride!

With many kids into racing on sailboats, they may be drawn to faster sailboats, maybe more multi hulls? Those speed oriented kids know their sailing.

For wandering(sort of like what cruising is), the kids I know are going "woofing"(world organic farming-work for food) abroad, taking semesters abroad if they're in school(many colleges encourage), and doing more extreme type outdoor stuff, skiing, climbing, biking, hiking a country, etc. They're satisfying their urge to travel that way and few can really commit a year or more to go "cruising", not to mention pay for it today.

But if they want a good solid cruising type boat, there are some great deals out there(some are near free). But I'm just as glad my son, who needs more growing up, hasn't noticed that yet.
elspru likes this.
Old 01-03-2013
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road

I'm in my 20s (admittedly my upper 20s though) and my boyfriend (who just hit 30) and I will be moving aboard our boat (34' seafarer) and sailing through the Caribbean in just about a month. While we were more than ready to go about our adventure, our friends in their 20s all viewed our plan as a dream, one they could never attain for themselves.

All it took was a little planning to make it work. Oh, and I do have student loan debt still.

Kelley
elspru likes this.