The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That's true but you are also locked in to moorage, insurance, haulouts etc. etc.

Without secure, well paid employment, it's a commitment few are willing to make.
That's true< I lost my boat twice to yard's. had to borrow to get it back. The only insurance. I've ever had was good anchors , common sense, caution, and decent luck. Mind you my boat has sunk twice and knocked off it's stands in huricane Wilma. I anchor for free, except for the year spent at Miami beach Marina back in 1993 when it was 350 a month and some DYI live aboard yards, I've been on the hook for free. I have no systems so that makes it cheap.
Old 06-30-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Funny thing is, my wife and I had such a hard time finding a career, working bad part time jobs that we decided to give it up and go sailing. We had no money then and we have no money now. We enjoy life 1000 times more now, and our peers are misserable and struggling to pay rents and live an unsustainable lifestyle of drinking and eating out, paying for ski lift tickets or boat rentals. They spend all their money on things that they never own or get to keep the utility of, and work to pay for it.

Debt is an issue, when it goes towards something that doesn't have a payout, like university right now.

The boomers I know who were cruising when they were in their twenties had nothing either...not many people in their earlier years have had anything in any generation, you work for it.

Quote:
That's true but you are also locked in to moorage, insurance, haulouts etc. etc.

Without secure, well paid employment, it's a commitment few are willing to make.
This is completely wrong: no one insures a $2500 boat, you live off the hook, and you use tidal grids or tracks once every 4 years to do the bottom, the rest of the time you dive on it.

I do agree with people being brain washed into thinking a 35ft boat is entry level
elspru likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

There may be more new poor sailors out there than you sea at your locked gate marina.Always a looked down upon minority by the well healed ,some will develop skills and finances to ride the crest. others bide their time till family or habits cause a movement (out or ?) OTOH when I go uptown to be met by a hoodi, stylin blue jeans and $150 runners with an Ipod whose greeting is Spare Change?' ,lack of sympathy wells in my heart. I mean, What ever happened to 'Whas up?' ?
Old 06-30-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OTOH when I go uptown to be met by a hoodi, stylin blue jeans and $150 runners with an Ipod whose greeting is Spare Change?' ,lack of sympathy wells in my heart. I mean, What ever happened to 'Whas up?' ?
We usually call those types drug dealers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
One must also consider that since the 'baby boom' generation the level of prosperity and the growth level of 'prosperity' has declined thus producing less 'disposable income', especially for those 'younger'.

With the purposeful pursuit of (by whatever reason) a decreased 'industrialization' and its accompanying lessening of 'profits' producing 'disposable income' in forced decline ... no one should really be surprised.

Id opt that those global areas where industrialization is rapidly growing, that those 'young' people have a greater and increasing measure or percent of 'disposable income' .... ie. sailing, skiing, ... 'leisure time', etc. etc. etc. are on the increase. The 'western world' is now essentially a service (servant) economy or is essentially 'flipping cash', while many other regions of the globe are rapidly expanding industrially and with its accompanying prosperity. The economic equilibrium of 'prosperity' has begun to rapidly shift away from the 'western' world to the 'developing' world. I wouldnt want to be a 'young person' in today's 'western world' with its apparently forced or self imposed reduction of 'opportunity'. From my narrow perspective, 'authoritarianism' and 'mob-rule democracy' usually and historically results in a declining level of the overall/average standard of living ... .
HUH? ..........

No, that's all true, I think the point is to, rather than look at sailing as a past time for the well off, or as "sport" for the sporty, Something for disposable money, look at it as a way of life, Move on to the boat, keep it simple, work in a town with an anchorage. I was making a Sh$t load of daily cash in the bar business. Most people don't belive me when I tell them what I made, and lived on the hook for free, paddled in on an old wind surf board with a milk crate screwd to the back, that I locked to a chain link fence, had a bicycle, no cell phone. I was making white collar money and living a no collar life style. I hated turning 35 and getting serious, and I'm looking forward to going back to that basic way of life. The "real" job I have now pay's less than the bar tending gig. But I have 401 K, health and dental, stock etc. The boat is still on the hook and does'nt cost me a dime unless I want it to.
waterwks4me, sailguy40 and elspru like this.
Old 06-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
We usually call those types drug dealers.
Another viable way to make decent money in today's economy
( I kid )........... SUP?
PeckerNeck likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-30-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2012
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
I can only speak for myself....

But I think some of this may more generally apply to the Gen Xers as I don't think my situation was atypical:

(1) My parents divorced when I was young and I was raised by my mother.

Although a pretty adventurous lass, she didn't know how to sail. Most kids are taught how to sail by their dads and grandfathers, most likely. Hardly anyone of my generation knows how to sail.

(2) College tuition tripled, and the real minimum wage hit a 30 year low.

Combined, this meant working your way through college was no longer an option for pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstrap types, the kind of weirdos who tend to take to sailing . Faced with the choice of signing up to go to Iraq, or taking out student loans, I did the later. $700 a month student loan payments take a lot of the potential adventure out of your 20s.

(3) Middle class jobs went away, health insurance and other costs skyrocketed.

If you've got a white collar job, it's hard to ask for the weeks off to go for a cruise when your Starbucks barista has an MS in engineering. Fear and debt again.
peterchech likes this.
Old 06-30-2012

Allen-deckard is on a distinguished road
The cost of living has increased for people as well these days. not necessary the actual cost of living but the perceived cost of living.
What am i talking About?
Well like many when i grew up we weren't necessary poor definitely not rich but we had food for every meal.
You listened to the radio for entertainment
Nobody had ac you slept with a pile of blankets in the winter
No computers
No cells
No pods
No cable tv bill obviously

Anyway i could go on and on about what didn't exist. The point that im trying to make is even if relative pay was the same the amount of crap that's available to the people today increases there perceived living expenses ten fold. Anyway again my two more cents.
elspru likes this.
Old 06-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Now we are talking about need's and want's. Most people's " absolutally need's" are my "don't even want's." After food, water, shelter and clothing every thing else is Gravy. I haven't had this lap top for a year and I certainally don't need it. What young people need to do is get real about what they need and focus on that. I needed to move on to Grand pa's little sloop because it was realisitcally all I could afford. I needed to not have the over head of rent, cable, car insurance, and what ever else townies thought they needed. I needed to live in a town small enough to get around on a bike, anchor out for free and work for tips. People talk about how expensive the Key's or Miami is and I'm like, that's the only place I can afford to live! warm all year, EZ living, good holding, tourist dollars to be had. I was making a bit less, but not far from three figures working for tips at the same time my pears where in cubicles with their degree's, loans and huge over head.
joethecobbler and sailguy40 like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-30-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2012

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

I doubt the basic premise that there were lots of baby boomers cruising the oceans in their twenties. Sure some might have. A lot of boats were under 30' and I recall a survey showing most would prefer a couple of feet more.
The reality was for most they married and had children by their mid twenties. Those interested who had not had the chance as kids then might have got a sailing dinghy 12' 6" was most popular, and in their mid thirties probably an 18 ' trailer sailor, and maybe a keeler in their fifties. Even then only a small proportion ever did an ocean passage and even less ocean cruising.
Back then air travel barely existed and was expensive. More recently marriage and families were delayed and time out backpacking taking advantage of cheap airfares was not unusual. The return airfare NZ to Europe is the same or less than twenty years ago in nominal terms. Wages were high and jobs plentiful and I would say there was quite a lot of indulgent spending. In recent years not so much with the average real wage having declined over 10 years.
Maybe youth sailing has declined somewhat as has say trailer sailor racing. There are bigger keelers with larger crews of rail meat. I don't think this gives the same opportunity for low cost hands on experience. However there are still big P class and optimist fleets for those with arents who encourage them so there will always be sailors.
I suspect for many years there will be relative austerity for most so maybe more will have simpler tastes.
tdw likes this.