The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 35 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree536Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading here and a lot of old geasers should be ashamed of what they are saying. Hey and I'm an old geaser myself at 61 but where are you old farts sailing? The local pond or placid bay on weekends. I think there are more young out sailing than ever before. Just go over to SA forum and look on all the different sites not just the CA forum. Thousands of young people, most of them as sharp as can be and confident, racing in all types of boats and that is what young sailors should be doing. Having a great time going fast and learning how to sail a lot better than a lot of folks that are old farts can sail including myself and I aint bad.

And all of you folks with all these ideas that its electronics and laziness that they are all going to fall off the pier, what's up with you where is your head at. Your wrong, sorry to say it but you need to get out sailing and see all the young people around the world out having a real life and a great one, some with money and some with little. So what if 99.9 % of the young are clueless to sailing it has always been that way and always will be just like with old fart sailors who will never go anywhere except the pond they live on or down the bay they sail on. That is the way sailing has always been and will always be.

You should leave the young sailors alone because honestly you have no idea what you are talking about. Everywhere I look there are young families, young women, young men really sailing all over the world and having a lot better time than you are complaining about how the young don't sail because of this or that. This generation of 20 something is the best generation of 20 something I have ever met.

Sorry a just a little for the rant but get a life and meet some of these sailing young people and enjoy. I swear some of you must be dead or wish you were dead.
Well put. That's all true. You live in Hood River, so you are exposed to a much different crowd than say someone from...well, not there. Hood River is speacial and has a special bunch of adventure seeking young people. Key west is a lot like that. I have exposed many young people to the cruising scene, sailed many many backpackers around Central America over the last 20 years and still do. I've inspired countless people to buy their first boat and give it a shot. I was and still am the go to guy in key West when people young and old are looking. (There is a blue water, full keel, double ender at Robbies Marina for 500 bucks if any one is looking) I've brought 20 somethings to 60 somethings between Mexico and the Key's many times and am sailing down with my 72 year old father in law in april. I'm the youngest 42 year old on my block. My neighbor told me to pull my pants up the other day. ( I honestly did'nt have a belt, it was'nt a fashion statement) But I do see, however, a trend in the mass populas of today's young 20 somethings to be less interested in getting out there. It's true the cookie cutter kids never where the ones to get out there and the ones that have and do, are remarkable.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 01-06-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2013

funding-the-fun is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaM View Post
Perhaps some of these attitudes are a bit of a deterrent when young 'uns show up at the marina? Bad enough having people me that their children are older than me but now you're going to assume I listen to hip hop? That's just over the line

It'd be nice for once to have someone assume my boat is mine, not my parents'. Sometimes people assume that what they expect is what they're seeing and it only reinforces their original ideas.

In any generation the majority aren't cruisers, so any assertions about the majority of a generation just aren't relevant. I could say lots of things about most of the boomers that are probably untrue of most of those owning a sailboat. Any comment about "kids these days" has just as much to do with young people who do (or in other circumstances would) own a sailboat.
An excellent point. By the way, how has your experience with the Hallberg 34 been? Do you live aboard?
Old 01-06-2013

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by funding-the-fun View Post
An excellent point. By the way, how has your experience with the Hallberg 34 been? Do you live aboard?
Not yet. I wouldn't have the HR if I didn't intend to move aboard but it'll be 2-3 years. Canada in the winter is not my idea of a nice place to live on a boat. She's currently under cover on the hard

So far, I love it though we only bought her in August. Points well, looks pretty, and I can focus on outfitting instead of refitting. It's smaller but younger than most of the other boats we considered. Other than in the galley, I don't notice less space inside but I do notice that it's brighter and newer (even though she's still far from new). I'm happy without bigger sail loads or more mass to handle.

And there's no inverter, so cell phones must be carefully managed so as to not run out of juice while away from the dock. Since I can't leave my iPhone on, I don't have to worry about getting a text message mid-gybe
Old 01-06-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaM View Post
It'd be nice for once to have someone assume my boat is mine, not my parents'.
the fact that the assumption is made demonstrates the rarity of the phenomenon.
I think I am seeing a swing in the last few years. With the spate of adolescent circumnavigators that we haven't seen since the early 70s, sailing is now on the radar of the general adolescent population. Anecdotally I have seen the attendance at our local sailing school increase. What I found interesting is how a number of students got into it through the word-of-mouth advertising among non-sailing mommy-grapevine. A kid brought home a brochure from school, mom saw it and her jaw dropped.
Each two week course was cheaper than daycare.
She passed the word and suddenly a whole bunch of former non-sailing kids are messing around in Picos.

More kids turned on to sailing now means more young sailors cruising later.
elspru likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2013

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
the fact that the assumption is made demonstrates the rarity of the phenomenon.
I expect the assumption, I'm just surprised that people so often voice it. I'm actually surprised more people don't think the former owners are my parents. Maybe I'll have to start explaining that my dad refuses to buy a keelboat until he blows out a knee wakeboarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I think I am seeing a swing in the last few years. With the spate of adolescent circumnavigators that we haven't seen since the early 70s, sailing is now on the radar of the general adolescent population. Anecdotally I have seen the attendance at our local sailing school increase. What I found interesting is how a number of students got into it through the word-of-mouth advertising among non-sailing mommy-grapevine. A kid brought home a brochure from school, mom saw it and her jaw dropped.
Each two week course was cheaper than daycare.
She passed the word and suddenly a whole bunch of former non-sailing kids are messing around in Picos.

More kids turned on to sailing now means more young sailors cruising later.
I hope this trend continues. I didn't get a lot of exposure to sailing young but I did get enough to know I liked it. That was enough to pick up a Hobie cat and try to figure stuff out. It only took my husband one race in 20-ish footer to want a sailboat. A few weeks on the water, even if it's only one summer of a childhood, can be enough to plant a seed for years later. Of the ten or so kids I remember from those lessons, at least three of us sail now.
Old 01-07-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Go the beach cats! THAT'S the way to start sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-07-2013
Banned

Enigma0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
I'm curious on opinions on this one. When Baby boomers were in their 20's there were lots of them in small capable sailboats (some they made themselves) cruising across oceans; but now-a-days the majority of twenty-year olds appear to be utterly useless. I just don't get it, and I'm in my twenties, and cruising.
People mostly rise and attain to match the expectations of those they respect, or of those who have parental charge of them. The parental factor is by far the more important one. Couples both working 60-70 hour weeks, and/or pursuing geechy pleasures during off times and never having any time to serve as a good example and cheerleader allows many a child to lapse into some sort of default lower level.

Several things happened to, or more accurately were done to, the American culture between 1960 and 2000, and little of it was good. Aside from a further emancipation of minorities. Even there the larger culture made space for not an adoption and promulgation of 'white, middle-class, Protestant' values, but of noxious ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
I'm also curious as to where people think the future of the sailing industry is going if there are so few young people involved? Any thoughts?
It will revert to being mostly a pursuit of the wealthy. Bespoke vessels, custom-built ones. Perhaps based on modern factory boat patterns, but with much gravy ladled on. Not entirely however, for a well-built fiberglass vessel can last for many decades and thus can serve as a foundation upon which any enterprising person, young or old, may build a dream and even a life.

Last edited by Enigma0; 01-07-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

With a house, people don't really own them, they just pay the bank for the privilege of being able to say they own piece of dirt when they don't. I own my boat 100% and nothing I owe (or ever will owe) will but that in jeopardy. Similarly there is a distinct line between making a boat a home....when you make it yours, put who you are into it. Getting other people to recognize that you actually own it is not as hard as getting people to recognize and accept that you actually live on and will continue to live on it.
As to the future of the sailing industry it is at mercy of the marketing industry, new boats are out of most peoples reach, at one time the industry figured the "average" sailor was a husband, wife and kids who did coastal cruisng on weekends and stayed in marinas, because the housewife controlled the purse strings the interior was designed accordingly, resulting in comfy, easiliy handled though slow boats. Another trick the marketing industry likes to push is put design features from racing boats on cruising boats (if it is on a racing boat it will make my boat go faster right...unless of course it was actually there to fool the handicapping rules) which ended up with boats that took more work than should be found on a cruising boat. The boat industry (just like the car industry) would rather sell a small number of excessively expensive boats, than try and build boats more people can afford....new boats are for people with more money than sense, you can get a much better boat for alot less used.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 01-07-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
With a house, people don't really own them, they just pay the bank for the privilege of being able to say they own piece of dirt when they don't....
Unless, of course, they DO own them, like I own mine along with the dirt it is built on. No mortgage and a deed that says so. Let's be careful about generalizing.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 01-07-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Unless, of course, they DO own them, like I own mine along with the dirt it is built on. No mortgage and a deed that says so. Let's be careful about generalizing.
Stop paying your taxes and see if you "own" it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.